Originally posted by eonblue:
I think you have to consider 1 the cap is going to go up every year for the next couple of years and 2 we're going to be offloading some big contracts/not extending some big contracts over the next two years. I love the way we essentially drafted starters but I don't think as many core/rotation players are going to slip through the cracks if we resign Crab, Kaep, and Aldon.
The cap does not go up $20 million each year and that is just the pay increase to Colin Kaepernick.
Michael Crabtree, Iupati, Aldon Smith and Chris Culliver are all guys that need to get paid next year. Gore is the major contract gone next year, but the rest of the Free Agents we will have will either get pay increases from us or other teams in the league.
I think there will be more consistency w/salaries once we pay Kaepernick, but there are only a few $20 million/year players in the league, and they are all QB's. The first couple years will be an adjustment, but it seems as though the 49ers are making that transition as seamless and pain free as possible through shrewd drafting and personnel moves.
[ Edited by Garlicboy on May 10, 2014 at 8:20 PM ]