LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Finances, Free Agency and the Future: The Reasons behind the 49ers draft strategy of BPA

• Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Writing is on the wall for Iupati with the Martin and Thomas picks, he's as good as gone. Getting Stevie Johnson and drafting Ellington protects us if Crabs does walk but I still think we try hard to keep him. Boldin is only going to be around 2 more years, I like both Johnson and Ellington but I don't think either are #1 WRs, we will try hard to keep Crabs and I think ultimately, we end up extending him and Kaep this off season and Aldon either after this season or next.

Honestly I hope Crabtree leaves. I think Richard Sherman psyched him out with all the trash talk and "MEDICORE" talk.

Boldin is "the man" at WR on this team. Seahawk DB's mess with Crabtree, but know better than to mess with Anquan Boldin cause he'll -itch slap you.

I feel as though the 49ers can try and move up next year and get that big speed outside receiver. Only speedster's worthy of being drafted in the 1st were Sammy Watkins and Beckham and they went early.

I think next year's class may have some speedsters that the 49ers can pick up in the late first. Or they can go trade route- Josh Gordon?

We'll see what happens.

There was a HUGE amount of underclassmen in this years draft, especially with WR's. They also usually take time to develop. The chances of us getting a game ready WR to replace Boldin in the 2015 draft is unlikely. Very unlikely. We'll end up having to bring in a free agent and dole out the cash.
[ Edited by Phil on May 10, 2014 at 8:26 PM ]
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We can see the 49ers thinking of the future in many of their moves. Not sure I follow you with the Crabtree logic.

Stevie Johnson is a fine player but he is no Crabtree. Neither is Ellington who is a nice prospect in the slot. Also , Johnson is in the 3rd year of a #36 million dollar contract so how cheap is he? The cap hit on Johnson is aprox $4million for 2014 and $6Million for 2015 and 2016. I would rather extend Crabtree now for $8 - $9 million than have Johnson at $6 million.

If it is about thinking ahead then why didn't we draft Latimer at #56 or Moncreif at #77 instead of Borland and have a very cap friendly rookie WR and potential replacement for Crabtree next season or Boldin in 2 years?

RIGHT?!!
The cap does not go up $20 million each year and that is just the pay increase to Colin Kaepernick.

Michael Crabtree, Iupati, Aldon Smith and Chris Culliver are all guys that need to get paid next year. Gore is the major contract gone next year, but the rest of the Free Agents we will have will either get pay increases from us or other teams in the league.

I think there will be more consistency w/salaries once we pay Kaepernick, but there are only a few $20 million/year players in the league, and they are all QB's. The first couple years will be an adjustment, but it seems as though the 49ers are making that transition as seamless and pain free as possible through shrewd drafting and personnel moves.

They can make it work. Aldon, Crab, and Kaep are the priorities and this draft was in no way, shape, or form a preparation for any of their departures.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We can see the 49ers thinking of the future in many of their moves. Not sure I follow you with the Crabtree logic.

Stevie Johnson is a fine player but he is no Crabtree. Neither is Ellington who is a nice prospect in the slot. Also , Johnson is in the 3rd year of a #36 million dollar contract so how cheap is he? The cap hit on Johnson is aprox $4million for 2014 and $6Million for 2015 and 2016. I would rather extend Crabtree now for $8 - $9 million than have Johnson at $6 million.

If it is about thinking ahead then why didn't we draft Latimer at #56 or Moncreif at #77 instead of Borland and have a very cap friendly rookie WR and potential replacement for Crabtree next season or Boldin in 2 years?

Personally I'd rather have Stevie Johnson at $5 or so million a year for 3 years, with Kaepernick, Vernon Davis and Boldin than Crabtree at $9, whose had the luxury of playing on a stacked team.

Who knows how Moncreif and Latimer will turn out, I think alright, but none of them will be as good as Boldin, Crabtree or Johnson next year.
So.... some people in here think starters and even stars are not drafted after the first 2 rounds??

And prospects drafted in the first 2 rounds are all guaranteed game changing superstars??

LOL, are you guys new to football?
Originally posted by eonblue:
They can make it work. Aldon, Crab, and Kaep are the priorities and this draft was in no way, shape, or form a preparation for any of their departures.

If your claiming that the salary cap has no impact on who we are able to sign in the future, well there you go, why am I wasting my time.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/

Go ahead and do the math.
NFL should give each team the ability to retain 10 of their drafted players with no salary cap impact. It just sucks that you can't keep the players YOU DRAFTED just because of a salary cap.
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on May 10, 2014 at 8:55 PM ]
Dorsey, Skuta, possibly Spillman should be back.

Wilhoite is a RFA, and TJE is a EFA

The rest I agree with. Gore, Iupati, Crabs likely goners.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
NFL should give each team the ability to retain 10 of their drafted players with no salary cap impact. It just sucks that you can't keep the players YOU DRAFTED just because of a salary cap.

Yeah and this probably won't work. But they should do something more to allow teams to retain the players they drafted.

If your claiming that the salary cap has no impact on who we are able to sign in the future, well there you go, why am I wasting my time.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/

Go ahead and do the math.

You should be warned for bringing up Spotrac over NCH, I am ashamed of you, , and OverTheCap.com.

You know I am the one to talk to about the salary cap. Not really ashamed. But I do recommend not using spotrac, they stole my numbers last year, they did the same to OTC.

I think you have to consider 1 the cap is going to go up every year for the next couple of years and 2 we're going to be offloading some big contracts/not extending some big contracts over the next two years. I love the way we essentially drafted starters but I don't think as many core/rotation players are going to slip through the cracks if we resign Crab, Kaep, and Aldon.

The cap does not go up $20 million each year and that is just the pay increase to Colin Kaepernick.

Michael Crabtree, Iupati, Aldon Smith and Culliver are all guys that need to get paid next year. Gore is the major contract gone next year, but the rest of the Free Agents we will have will either get pay increases from us or other teams in the league.

I think there will be more consistency w/salaries once we pay Kaepernick, but there are only a few $20 million/year players in the league, and they are all QB's. The first couple years will be an adjustment, but it seems as though the 49ers are making that transition as seamless and pain free as possible through shrewd drafting and personnel moves.

Culliver needs to go.
[ Edited by tondiman on May 10, 2014 at 8:58 PM ]
Every year they our going to loos key free agents, Iupati and Crabs our as good as gone. This happens every year, and then people are pissed they took more money to go elsewhere.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

Eddie D was the reason for the cap. Sad to say.
That secondary is pretty frickin. I don't think he's psyched out, but hard to trust Crabtree after you give him a shot 2x's in the cluth.

I'm ready to take my chances w/Stevie Johnson. I like his swagger and he has the game to back it up.

3- 1,000 yard receiving seasons w/JP Losman and Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing to you, says a lot about this guys game.

Sorry we don't agree. Kaep was ghost white after he threw that last int in the NGCCG. Don't know what game you were watching but Crab had nothing to do with Kaep blowing HIS moment in the clutch. Will just have to wait and see. If Crab has a big season he deserves to get paid.

This. Barring some *knock on wood* type circumstances for the offense, Crabtree is going to light it up this year. He would have last year. Crabs was clutch at the end of the Patriots game when nobody had won in December in NE in December.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Dorsey, Skuta, possibly Spillman should be back.

Wilhoite is a RFA, and TJE is a EFA

The rest I agree with. Gore, Iupati, Crabs likely goners.

Yea I really want these guys back.
Share 49ersWebzone