LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 412 users in the forums

Finances, Free Agency and the Future: The Reasons behind the 49ers draft strategy of BPA

Originally posted by Phil:
My entire point. Crabtree will likely be gone and Boldin will be gone soon and we had a DEEP wide receiver draft where we could have picked up first round talent in the second round. There wont be many, if any, viable WR's in next years draft. The only way this draft gets a B+ from me is if we resign Crabtree, which isn't likely. THIS was the year to get Crabtree and Boldins replacements. The Johnson pick up was great, one down, we're going to have a great WR core this year. After this season it will be Boldin's 13'th year in the NFL. He's definitely gone after 2015 and his play will likely suffer in the 2015 season. The 2015 draft will be extremely lacking in WR talent. So, what do we do? Plan on getting extremely lucky as we did in picking up Boldin and Johnson? It would have been wiser to get a WR in this years draft in the second round, wiser and cheaper (speaking of salary cap).

And then we have the issue of our outside corner backs.....lets go back to this post after we play the season. I hope I'm wrong but we're probably going to be wishing we had better players on the outside. Spending a bunch of late round picks on outside corner backs was a waste of picks.

49ers have one of the best RECEIVING Corps in the NFL for the next 2 years.

2014: Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald
2015: Anguan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Ellington/Patton, Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald

What's more important in the 2014 draft 4th/5th developmental receiver or a RB who may actually supplant Frank Gore THIS year. Frank Gore looked old last year, he looked slower and not as explosive and his yards per carry support that theory. Lattimore and Hyde can put a hurting on the Seahawks THIS YEAR!!!

INACCURATE/FALLACY that there are no WR's in next years draft.

Amari Cooper Alabama 4.3 forty -THIS YEAR
Jalen Strong ASU
Nelson Agholor USC
Rashad Greene FSU
Ty Mongomery Stanford
Kasen Williams Wasthington
Devante Parker Louisville

All these guys are over 6' and are outside receivers.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
If your claiming that the salary cap has no impact on who we are able to sign in the future, well there you go, why am I wasting my time.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/

Go ahead and do the math.

To begin with if debating about who we should resign is a waste of time then you shouldn't be on here. I've looked at the cap figures and we can resign Crab, Aldon, and Kaep. The fact is people don't like Crab because of his extended rookie contract so they make it seem like it's impossible. It's perfectly plausible that the cap goes up by 5 million next year too. If we can get Kaep at 15-18 per year, Smith at 10 mil, and Crab at 9 it COULD work.

Bethea could easily be cut to save 4.5mil if one of these DBs can take the 2nd safety spot in 2015. Gore most likely wont be resigned. Davis will most likely see a reduced salary in 2015. Brooks contract has deescalators that drop his salary by at least million. Boldins cap number could go directly Crab when his contract is up in 2015 as well as Stevie Johnson.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Every year they our going to loos key free agents, Iupati and Crabs our as good as gone. This happens every year, and then people are pissed they took more money to go elsewhere.

Free Agency's part of the game. Whose pissed?

Harbaalke is just anticipating.

This years' free agents Brown, Rogers and Whitner are not really missed as all three looked like they could be upgraded. Perhaps that's the issue people they don't see the possible replacements/upgrades: Culliver/Wright back from injury. Jimmie Ward in the slot and add-in Chris Cook, Recumbent Darryl Morris and the rookies.

I guess people feel that we need to draft:
a.) a high pick 1st, 2nd or 3rd CB
b.) their pick that they read of some internet website.
Originally posted by eonblue:
To begin with if debating about who we should resign is a waste of time then you shouldn't be on here. I've looked at the cap figures and we can resign Crab, Aldon, and Kaep. The fact is people don't like Crab because of his extended rookie contract so they make it seem like it's impossible. It's perfectly plausible that the cap goes up by 5 million next year too. If we can get Kaep at 15-18 per year, Smith at 10 mil, and Crab at 9 it COULD work.

Bethea could easily be cut to save 4.5mil if one of these DBs can take the 2nd safety spot in 2015. Gore most likely wont be resigned. Davis will most likely see a reduced salary in 2015. Brooks contract has deescalators that drop his salary by at least million. Boldins cap number could go directly Crab when his contract is up in 2015 as well as Stevie Johnson.

I figured he wouldn't actually do the math.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We can see the 49ers thinking of the future in many of their moves. Not sure I follow you with the Crabtree logic.

Stevie Johnson is a fine player but he is no Crabtree. Neither is Ellington who is a nice prospect in the slot. Also , Johnson is in the 3rd year of a #36 million dollar contract so how cheap is he? The cap hit on Johnson is aprox $4million for 2014 and $6Million for 2015 and 2016. I would rather extend Crabtree now for $8 - $9 million than have Johnson at $6 million.

If it is about thinking ahead then why didn't we draft Latimer at #56 or Moncreif at #77 instead of Borland and have a very cap friendly rookie WR and potential replacement for Crabtree next season or Boldin in 2 years?

Personally I'd rather have Stevie Johnson at $5 or so million a year for 3 years, with Kaepernick, Vernon Davis and Boldin than Crabtree at $9, whose had the luxury of playing on a stacked team.

Who knows how Moncreif and Latimer will turn out, I think alright, but none of them will be as good as Boldin, Crabtree or Johnson next year.
Stevie Johnson is not $5 million or so. It's just over $6 million for 2015 and 2016. If we were to try and extend Crabtree now we might be able to land him for $8 million. Better to sign now with guaranteed money than to wait and risk being injured while being a free agent for a potential extra $1 million a year or so.

As for Moncreif and Latimer there are no gaurantees. That would be true of every rookie we drafted but we still drafted them. There would be a good chance that by the time Boldin leaves they would be ready to step up and play at a high level as a quality #2 WR. There is no chance we will have a cap friendly WR on a rookie contract to replace either if need be if we don't draft any outside WR's. Ellington is a nice prospect but he is a slot guy.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Dorsey, Skuta, possibly Spillman should be back.

Wilhoite is a RFA, and TJE is a EFA

The rest I agree with. Gore, Iupati, Crabs likely goners.

I would like to see these guys back as well, but Dorsey and Skuta could get offered more $$$ else where. ST'er Spillman shouldn't command too much $$$, but you never know.
Stevie Johnson is not $5 million or so. It's just over $6 million for 2015 and 2016. If we were to try and extend Crabtree now we might be able to land him for $8 million. Better to sign now with guaranteed money than to wait and risk being injured while being a free agent for a potential extra $1 million a year or so.

As for Moncreif and Latimer there are no gaurantees. That would be true of every rookie we drafted but we still drafted them. There would be a good chance that by the time Boldin leaves they would be ready to step up and play at a high level as a quality #2 WR. There is no chance we will have a cap friendly WR on a rookie contract to replace either if need be if we don't draft any outside WR's. Ellington is a nice prospect but he is a slot guy.

Are you trying to skew facts? Stevie Johnson is closer to $5 million or so 2014 he's making $3.925 million and then he makes the $6 million in 2015 and 2016. So yes $5.3 million or so on average for the next 3 years, and this does not include any contract restructuring that may occur in the future.

I'm going to repeat what I told Phil.

49ers have one of the best RECEIVING Corps in the NFL for the next 2 years. 2014: Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald2015: Anguan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Ellington/Patton, Vernon Davis and Vance McDonaldWhat's more important in the 2014 draft 4th/5th developmental outside receiver or a RB who may actually supplant Frank Gore THIS year. Frank Gore looked old last year, he looked slower and not as explosive and his yards per carry support that theory. Lattimore and Hyde can put a hurting on the Seahawks THIS YEAR!!!

Also, is Quinton Patton not viewed as a viable replacement for Boldin or Crabtree?

Also there are WR's that can be drafted in 2015 and 2016 and develop for a year under Boldin and Stevie Johnson.
My entire point. Crabtree will likely be gone and Boldin will be gone soon and we had a DEEP wide receiver draft where we could have picked up first round talent in the second round. There wont be many, if any, viable WR's in next years draft. The only way this draft gets a B+ from me is if we resign Crabtree, which isn't likely. THIS was the year to get Crabtree and Boldins replacements. The Johnson pick up was great, one down, we're going to have a great WR core this year. After this season it will be Boldin's 13'th year in the NFL. He's definitely gone after 2015 and his play will likely suffer in the 2015 season. The 2015 draft will be extremely lacking in WR talent. So, what do we do? Plan on getting extremely lucky as we did in picking up Boldin and Johnson? It would have been wiser to get a WR in this years draft in the second round, wiser and cheaper (speaking of salary cap).

And then we have the issue of our outside corner backs.....lets go back to this post after we play the season. I hope I'm wrong but we're probably going to be wishing we had better players on the outside. Spending a bunch of late round picks on outside corner backs was a waste of picks.

Cliff Notes for anyone reading Phil's post.

I'm a big Penn State fan and I REALLY REALLY wanted Allen Robinson and convinced myself that the 49ers would be drafting him, regardless of any reasons why it wouldn't make sense. When they didn't, I got irate and decided to chit all over Baalke's whole program.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Cliff Notes for anyone reading Phil's post.

I'm a big Penn State fan and I REALLY REALLY wanted Allen Robinson and convinced myself that the 49ers would be drafting him, regardless of any reasons why it wouldn't make sense. When they didn't, I got irate and decided to chit all over Baalke's whole program.

No guaranteed Boldin retires or is gone after 2015, if he plays at the same level, he may stick around, and he should. 2015 is loaded with WRs. You do this 1 year at a time. I would of loved Allen Robinson, but oh well. Same for Moncrief. Oh and not at you Phoenix.
If you look at the big picture, Baalke killed it. As long as the players produce anyways.

Finances, Free Agency and the Future are the main reasons the 49ers drafted the way they did with Best Player Available, regardless of position. The 49ers had a GREAT draft because it addressed Future free agency and addressed these needs. The following analysis is for all the whiners who forget that there is a salary cap. The salary cap is a limiting factor, but the 49ers have had the foresight to address this issue before it becomes a problem and incredibly have set themselves up for continued success by shrewd draft day moves and understanding of the impact of signing and losing free agents beyond the playing field i.e. compensatory picks. Their ability to keep their finances low, and draft replacements right before they are needed (i.e. player free agency) has set them up for continued success in the future.

Financially, the 49ers are going to have a HUGE contract to address, Colin Kaepernick's. Anywhere from $15-$20 million/year. That being said, the other high priced free agents will more than likely have to be let go next year are Michael Crabtree and Mike Iupati. Thus the draft moves this year addressed those two major positions. I am including the trade of WR Stevie Johnson as part of that draft day moves. While a draft pick is a question mark in regards to actual NFL production Stevie Johnson is a known and proven commodity and will make less on average the next three years than what Michael Crabtree is making right now, $5.3 million and who knows how much MORE he's going to ask as a free agent, guessing near the $9 million/year mark. 3rd round pick OG Brandon Thomas is also a strong candidate to replace Mike Iupati next year however he will not occupy a roster spot this year yet will be afforded the opportunity to learn the playbook and style of play of his fellow teammates and more importantly, fellow linemen.

The 49ers have key free agents that have Free Agency value and could be signed by other teams next year. Thus the 49ers have been proactive in addressing their future free agency needs, and addressed them in the draft. Credit to the 49ers that they were able to address future needs right now in the present. The silver lining to losing a player in free agency is the compensatory pick. How much they contributed to your team, will determine the compensation. I anticipate the 49ers having a BUNCH of compensatory picks next year. Due to paying Kaepernick and the plethora of rookies I anticipate will sign this year.

2015 FREE AGENTS

Frank Gore- 2nd Carlos Hyde
Michael Crabtree - 4th Bruce Ellington
Mike Iupati- C/G: 3rd Marcus Martin
Glenn Dorsey- 7th/PSquad Kaleb Ramsey
Tony Jerod-Eddie- 7th PSquad Kaleb Ramsey
Dan Skuta- 5th/Aaron Lynch
Chris Culliver- 4th Donatae Johnson
CJ Spillman- PSquad/IR Acker
Kendall Hunter- Jewel Hampton
Michael Wilhoite- Chris Borland

These free agents, already have their spot drafted during the draft and are currently on IR/PUP list and do not occupy a roster spot
Adam Snyder......OG: Brandon Thomas
Eric Wright......... CB: Keaser
Garrett Celek...... H-back: Trey Millard
Blaine Gabbert is the only position that they did not draft, but they traded for him, and want to keep him around.

Once again credit to Harbaalke and the 49ers front office and always keeping their eye on the Finances, Free Agency and the Future and sticking to their guns and sticking to BPA and fit for the future.

GREAT POST. The Niners under Baalke have been really good at this. They have replinshed their team without breaking the bank. In the current era with the cap, you need to know what you are doing and you need to keep developing talent.

I think Jimmy ward was the guy they wanted and they weren't going to
I didn't think they were going running back, but Carlos fell in their laps. (They could have had latimer, so they must of not thought he was worth taking over Hyde. I think he can compete with Gore and Lattimore. Gore could be easing out.
3 corners that are tall and can fly nice.
Inside LB Borland, he's a player, and he fell here.
Aaron Lynch is an interesting pick as an back up edge rusher with potential.
The FB at the end was classic baalke, great pick. I was also hoping Carlos Hyde may have a little FB in him.

I would have thought they would have gone for more wide receivers but when they got Stevie Johnson, it made the draft BPA. I don't think the Niners are sold on Kilgore as the unquestioned starter.

Let the competition begin!

Are you trying to skew facts? Stevie Johnson is closer to $5 million or so 2014 he's making $3.925 million and then he makes the $6 million in 2015 and 2016. So yes $5.3 million or so on average for the next 3 years, and this does not include any contract restructuring that may occur in the future.

I'm going to repeat what I told Phil.

49ers have one of the best RECEIVING Corps in the NFL for the next 2 years. 2014: Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald2015: Anguan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Ellington/Patton, Vernon Davis and Vance McDonaldWhat's more important in the 2014 draft 4th/5th developmental outside receiver or a RB who may actually supplant Frank Gore THIS year. Frank Gore looked old last year, he looked slower and not as explosive and his yards per carry support that theory. Lattimore and Hyde can put a hurting on the Seahawks THIS YEAR!!!

Also, is Quinton Patton not viewed as a viable replacement for Boldin or Crabtree?

Also there are WR's that can be drafted in 2015 and 2016 and develop for a year under Boldin and Stevie Johnson.
I am not skewering any facts but as usual you always have to be right. Johnson's cap number this year is smaller but this is not the year that matters. Duh. It's the 2015 and beyond numbers that matter because that is when Smith and Crabtree and Kap have their raises count against the cap or we lose them.

As for Patton he shows promise but he isn't tall or speedy. That doesn't bode well for a strong outside receiving threat. Could be a much better slot receiver.

We do have for the 1st time in ages a quality receiving core. But, Crabtree might not be resigned for next year. Boldin will be gone in 2 years and that could be both of our starters. We had a bunch of extra early picks in the deepest WR class maybe ever. It takes a year or two to develop a WR. This would have been the perfect time to draft a couple or at least 1 true outside receiving threat. We got another slot guy and Johnson and Patton could already play the slot. We passed on the 1st 3 rounds and we had 6 picks. And yes we could draft receivers next year but we would have 1 less year to develop them and half the draft picks early.

As for Hyde if the plan is to move on from Gore this season then it makes sense. If Gore is still going to be the man it doesn't make sense. Would have been better to wait a year. RB's don't take anywhere near as long to develop and great ones are available later in the draft. This is the 2nd yr in a row when no RB was taken in the 1st rd and the 1st drafted was late 2nd rd this year. How many WR's were taken this year before the 1st RB was drafted? It will be a hell of a lot easier to draft a top RB next year than a top WR.

Even putting Hyde aside we could have drafted him and taken a WR at #77 like Moncreif instead of an ILB.

The 49ers have a great team and great players and they had a good draft. Most of these guys can play. That being said this was a unique opportunity to develop a talented young receiving core because of the WR depth in the draft and all of our extra picks. We had a chance to take advantage of that and we passed. It's not the end of the world and the 49ers will be great either way. It would have been nice though.
  • Phil
  • Veteran

49ers have one of the best RECEIVING Corps in the NFL for the next 2 years.

2014: Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald
2015: Anguan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Ellington/Patton, Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald

What's more important in the 2014 draft 4th/5th developmental receiver or a RB who may actually supplant Frank Gore THIS year. Frank Gore looked old last year, he looked slower and not as explosive and his yards per carry support that theory. Lattimore and Hyde can put a hurting on the Seahawks THIS YEAR!!!

INACCURATE/FALLACY that there are no WR's in next years draft.

Amari Cooper Alabama 4.3 forty -THIS YEAR
Jalen Strong ASU
Nelson Agholor USC
Rashad Greene FSU
Ty Mongomery Stanford
Kasen Williams Wasthington
Devante Parker Louisville

All these guys are over 6' and are outside receivers.

DeVante Parker, Ty Montgomery, Kasen Williams not so much. And of course a couple skilled WR's will be in the 2015 draft. Who's to say Cooper and Strong enter the draft? Wide receivers enter the draft every year, difference is, this year was a chance to get first round talent in the second and third round. In 2015 we'll most likely have to take a WR in the first. It's simply going to be a depleted draft class. When you have 11 picks in teh best WR class in memory and dont take advantage...well *throws hands in air*

I quit.
I think people are under estimating how many needs the 49ers actually have right now when suggesting we have to take a WR.

Needs

WR --> S.Johnson, B.Lloyd, B.Ellington
CB --> J.Ward (nickel/safety depth), D.Johnson, K.Reaser, K.Acker
OLB (A.Smith/depth) --> A.Lynch?
ILB (Bowman) --> C.Borland
C --> M.Martin
G/T --> B.Thomas

When it comes to 49ers I'm not sure it is reasonable for people to have been talking like the team needs to change entirely what its doing. With the way some on this board have been talking, my response would be how many f'ing WR's do you want to keep on your roster? By my count: Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Johnson, Lloyd, that other guy, the specials WR guy. In order to carry that many (or more) WR's, we'd have to entirely change the blueprint of the 49ers from the last 3 years. Why? Because we lost to Seattle in a game that came down to the last play? Forget that.

San Francisco is a power running team that relies on big offensive lineman who like to "lean" on the defense. They have built the existing roster around this, even our WR's are excellent blockers. Just last year this team spent a 2nd round pick on a dual blocking/receiving tight end prospect, do we forget Vance McDonald? That right answer is you don't. Suggesting we need to load up WR's, with this roster, is a little bit like New Coke, remember that? Probably not.

I'll give people the Hyde pick is a bit off board, but at some point in the draft you need to just take the best player available and resolve the roster issues later. It helps that the 49ers big problem is 3rd and 1 and Hyde just so happens to be a 230lbs wrecking ball of a runner. If Seattle thinks they are going to out-muscle the 49ers, they're going to have to stop a 230lbs RB behind 5 x 300+lbs OL to do it. The 49ers win with physicality, and last season the Seahawks beat us in that department.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on May 11, 2014 at 1:00 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
I think you have to consider 1 the cap is going to go up every year for the next couple of years and 2 we're going to be offloading some big contracts/not extending some big contracts over the next two years. I love the way we essentially drafted starters but I don't think as many core/rotation players are going to slip through the cracks if we resign Crab, Kaep, and Aldon.

The cap does not go up $20 million each year and that is just the pay increase to Colin Kaepernick.

Michael Crabtree, Iupati, Aldon Smith and Chris Culliver are all guys that need to get paid next year. Gore is the major contract gone next year, but the rest of the Free Agents we will have will either get pay increases from us or other teams in the league.

I think there will be more consistency w/salaries once we pay Kaepernick, but there are only a few $20 million/year players in the league, and they are all QB's. The first couple years will be an adjustment, but it seems as though the 49ers are making that transition as seamless and pain free as possible through shrewd drafting and personnel moves.

I look at it like this. Kaep will get his money, that's a foregone conclusion and the 49ers are going to pay him. But if you look at our team, we have some contracts coming off the books soon that will allow us to pay guys like Crabtree and Aldon also. Gore comes off next year, J.Smith within 2 years will be gone IMO also. Guys like Ray Mac (who's cap # increases after this year) Adam Snyder, Boldin in 2 years one of our vet NTs (Dorsey or Williams) after this year and a few others will come off the books. Combine that with the cap increasing and those guys I just mentioned getting replaced by guys we drafted in 2013 and this year will assist. Here's how I see it.

S.Johnson is the #3 now, #2 potential in the future when Boldin retires will be slightly cheaper (I also think his deal will get restructured)
Gore-replaced by Lattimore/Hyde, significant savings
J.Smith-replaced by Tank significant savings
Dorsey or Williams leaving-replaced by Dial (with the one who stays starting) is a nice savings
Adam Snyder gone-replaced by combination of Thomas/Martin or even J.Martin-nice savings

Then factor in that we got a bunch of guys in this draft who can beast on STs and vets like Ventrone, Spillman, Osgood, Dahl who don't make a ton, but make more than guys on rookie deals will be replaced by these draftees and we net a savings there.

The last factor I see playing in is guys restructuring (or extending for less depending on scenario). We have a group of core guys who have done this for us on several occassions. Reports were that Brooks was going to or did do it this off season. I see him, maybe Ray Mac, VD, Gabbert (who will take a pay cut this year I guarantee that) and likely others I'm missing.

My overall point here, Kaep and Aldon (as long as he doesn't keep doing crazy stupid ish) are def staying around and Crabtree IMO will be a priority. I don't see Stevie Johnson or Ellington as guys the organization view as replacements for him, I see these moves as a concerted effort to get Kaep more weapons, diversify the offense more and open things up.
Share 49ersWebzone