LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

3rd Draft in a Row Without a Projected Starter

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rtj03:
I agree with original post.

We need an impact starter or two. We do have a solid roster but that has only proved to make us competitive but not good enough to be the best. We had all the ammo to get an impact,starter but instead we have players that will contribute in 2-3 years when the guys we have now are done and proved not to be good enough to win Super Bowl.

Teams and fan bases around the legaue are sinking their heads in defeat and people on here are questioning Baalkes moves.

As far as I´m concerned Baalke is playing Madden in real life. Seriously take a look at our currenr roster.

QB Kaepernick

RB Gore, Hyde, Lattimore, Hunter

FB Miller

WR Crabtree, Boldin Johnson, Patton

TE Davis, McDonald

O-Line just WOW

How are you gonna stop this offense ?

D-Line Smith, McDonald, Tank, Jerod-Eddie, Dial, Williams, Dorsey

LB Willis, Bowman, Smith, Books, Lemonier, Skuta, Wilhoite, Moody, Borland

CB Brock, Culliver, Ward, Cook, Wright, Morris

S Reid, Bethea

How many points teams will be able to score against this monster ?

Plus just terrific talent and depth at every single position. And we also are just 3 rounds into the draft.

Baalke was in full Ninja mode the last few weeks and months !
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Originally posted by frankie:

We need an impact starter or two. We do have a solid roster but that has only proved to make us competitive but not good enough to be the best. We had all the ammo to get an impact,starter but instead we have players that will contribute in 2-3 years when the guys we have now are done and proved not to be good enough to win Super Bowl.

Who in this draft? In your opinion would have been absolute upgrade over our starters now? And how much would ya have traded to get in top 15?

How ya feel bout steviie johnson? He'd be a starter on most teams if not all!!

No he would without doubt be a starter on every team...

I agree, exception being buffalo, shocked they didnt wanna keep em around honestly??!! And maybe here with us crabs n boldin may start ahead of em?
We should go lot of 3wr wit vern as well. We are a power running team also!! This season will be great.... :D
Originally posted by DeUh:

Teams and fan bases around the legaue are sinking their heads in defeat and people on here are questioning Baalkes moves.

As far as I´m concerned Baalke is playing Madden in real life. Seriously take a look at our currenr roster.

QB Kaepernick

FB Miller

TE Davis, McDonald

O-Line just WOW

S Reid, Bethea

Plus just terrific talent and depth at every single position. And we also are just 3 rounds into the draft.

Sooo this, i kinda tried say this before lol, lack of sleep, surprise by thread! I fumbled mine a bit...least was cluttered ha ha
Well said! Well said
Goniners
If you pick this late in the draft its because you have all your starters and a rookie can't hang. That's a good problem.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

QB Kaepernick

FB Miller

TE Davis, McDonald

O-Line just WOW

S Reid, Bethea

I see. So, how come we still haven't won the Super Bowl yet then ?

You have not answered his question, rtj03's point is we need immediate impact players to push us over the hump in our Quest for 6.
Originally posted by Rascal:

Because it's tough. There are another 31 teams who're trying to do the same thing. It's annoying, but we got within 1-2 boneheaded/unlucky plays from being in 3 straight SBs and 2-3 more from winning one. It's not a matter of talent. Our talent levels put us in a position to win, the rest is all coaching, performance on the day, and luck.

You have not answered his question, rtj03's point is we need immediate impact players to push us over the hump in our Quest for 6.

Easy to say "impact players" at draft time. Exactly who, that we could have had, represents an immediate impact player who would have pushed us over the hump? And how many such players, draft able from the mid 1st round on, actually do impact on a strong and deep roster in Year 1?
[ Edited by English on May 10, 2014 at 7:13 AM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
We aren't 2-14 anymore. We're a three or four loss team at the very most which means we are elite which means we don't need any rookie starters. This forum is loony toons sometimes.
Originally posted by paulk205:

Because it's tough. There are another 31 teams who're trying to do the same thing. It's annoying, but we got within 1-2 boneheaded/unlucky plays from being in 3 straight SBs and 2-3 more from winning one. It's not a matter of talent. Our talent levels put us in a position to win, the rest is all coaching, performance on the day, and luck.

Exactly, our talent level is there. It just is what is. Brooks doesn't get that roughing the passer against the Saints and we have home field instead of Seattle. Probably a totally different out come. I mean we almost won in Seattle, and were in the drivers seat for most of the game.

Oh, and who is this player that we should have traded up for that was gonna win us the SB this year, and how much were you willing to give up for this difference maker?
[ Edited by Rodinxxv on May 10, 2014 at 7:22 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

I respectfully disagree apart from the fact that it is tough. It is precisely because it is tough, all the more we need to improve in all areas of the team (talents inclusive) to get us over the hump. Let me ask you a question, the Seahawks finally got to the Super Bowl and won it in one shot. Why do you think they were able to do it ? Are you saying talents have nothing to do with it ? What about Beast Mode ? The Legion of Boom ? Their D-line ? They don't count ?

The NFL is a highly competitive league, the draft is one key source to improve your team and every pick counts when like you said everybody are trying to do the same thing. Let's face it, with all the hype of all the picks the 9ers have, we have not managed to fully utilize them effectively especially when it comes to positions of need such as CB and WR.
[ Edited by Rascal on May 10, 2014 at 7:23 AM ]

• SaksV
  • Veteran
It takes about 4 years of solid drafting, developing and signings to build a consistent Super Bowl contender. If you pigeon-hole your vision by focusing only on one draft class per year, you'll totally miss the big picture Harbaugh and Baalke are painting.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

QB Kaepernick

FB Miller

TE Davis, McDonald

O-Line just WOW

S Reid, Bethea

Plus just terrific talent and depth at every single position. And we are also just 3 rounds into the draft.

Cause the season has not started yet ?

How about a potential lock down nickel corner in Ward ?

How about a perfect fit for our WR group in Johnson ?

How about a 1st round talent in Carradine joining the D-Line ?
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I respectfully disagree apart from the fact that it is tough. It is precisely because it is tough, all the more we need to improve in all areas of the team (talents inclusive) to get us over the hump. Let me ask you a question, the Seahawks finally got to the Super Bowl and won it in one shot. Why do you think they were able to do it ? Are you saying talents have nothing to do with it ? What about Beast Mode ? The Legion of Boom ? Their D-line ? They don't count ?

The NFL is a highly competitive league, the draft is one key source to improve your team and every pick counts when like you said everybody are trying to do the same thing. Let's face it, with all the hype of all the picks the 9ers have, we have not managed to fully utilize them effectively especially when it comes to positions of need such as CB and WR.

Signing a bigger name free agent or trading up to draft some college dynamo would NOT have prevented Kyle Williams from fumbling, the refs from turning a blind eye in the endzone on Crabtree, or put the ball a few inches over Dick Sherman's hand. Seattle won the Super Bowl because they have talent (like us) and played an overrated opponent. We went to the Super Bowl two years ago because we have talent (like Seattle) and lost because we played a strong opponent on a hot streak with some of the worst officiating in championship history. There's literally nothing we could have done, acquisition-wise, to prevent these events from happening other than playing better in the moment. To claim this team isn't trying to capitalize is ridiculous.

One thing that helps every SB winner is quality depth.

As to your point...
Gore? Our Defensive front 7? Our O-line?

And, let's not kid ourselves... The Seahawks exploit the refs unwillingness to delay the game with a penalty on every play.
It worked. A smart strategy, albeit underhanded. The Ravens got away with quite a lot, too.

The playoffs and SB are not handled the same as regular season. As much as I may not like it, our team can exploit that as well.

At what position? Where are these "impact" players going to start? Is a rookie going to come in and beat out Crabtree and Boldin, V.D., Justin, Staley.....when your roster is heavily talented, you draft for depth and potential future starters, you draft for injury insurance.
Share 49ersWebzone