LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Maiocco's Seven Round Mock Draft

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We don't need to spend a 3rd rd pick on a 5th RB. Sam in the 7th rd plays the same position as Marcus Smith and Lemonier both of whom would be back ups already. No roster spot available for Sam or a 5th RB.

all I know is if we draft Sam Im done with this team. No sweet stuff

boy i hope the niners take sam
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
According to me lol. That's my opinion.. I don't see him developing into anything special. I'm not fond of our first pick at corner being a guy that is under 6'0, ran a 4.6 40, and isn't very quick to go along with that. Hard to think a guy like that will become a #1 corner, unless he's playing in the right system. Can you put him on an island to run with 4.3 guys down the field, can he cover the shiftier guys in the league, can he jump with the bigger guys in the league? He'd better play a hell of a lot bigger, faster, and quicker than his workout #s suggest to give one confidence that he'll ever be a #1.

There are always exceptions, like Joe Haden, but Breeland isn't anywhere the talent that Haden was coming out. I think Breeland will be ok, but I see other corners in this draft with more upside. I want us to go after corners with more potential to become a lock down man to man corner, which allows our defense to be more versatile.

Breeland is tough and physical, plays very aggressively, a good man to man corner with length who fits well into Fangio's system. I think he will be a good value for somebody, very underrated but has the right hard-nosed mentality, just needs to be coached up. I do happen to think that Breeland has the potential to become a very good #2 cornerback. Considering we're talking about the 2nd/3rd round, that's not a bad thing at all, especially since I only see one or two guys in this entire draft with actual #1 CB potential.

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl does not believe Clemson CB Bashaud Breeland will make it far past the second-round.
"Breeland has a lot of appeal as a prospect," Weidl tweeted. "Extremely long arms, easy mover (with plus) range." Teams will put a premium on bigger corners that can slow down their opposition with length and contend at the catch point. Our own Josh Norris prefers Breeland over Stanley Jean-Baptiste, a prospect who is more frequently discussed."

If the 49ers want to be more physical with their CB's, Breeland might be the best guy for it after Dennard and Fuller. He's an ideal Baalke player, length, toughness, gritty, blue collar, doesn't quit...etc.

He's also a lot more athletic than given credit for. Might not have track speed but has football field speed.

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah debuted Clemson CB Bashaud Breeland at No. 42 on his Top-50 rankings.
"Breeland is a tall, fluid cornerback with good recovery speed," Jeremiah wrote. "He lines up as the boundary corner in Clemson's defense. In press coverage, he uses a one-hand jam and has the quickness and agility to mirror underneath routes and the speed to carry vertical routes. In off coverage, he has plenty of burst out of his plant/drive to make plays on the ball." The scribe notes Breeland's propensity to gamble and think his way out of position, but believes Breeland's closing speed generally erases his errors.

Ok you're selling me a little more on him. That analysis by Kevin Weidl from Scouts Inc is off base though. He says Breeland has "extremely long arms". Lol, his arms measure under 32".

Still not sold on him as anything more than a #2 corner. I'm looking for guys that have the possibility of developing into that #1. I don't see that with Breeland. I think he could be ok for us, but don't think he'll ever be that guy you can count on to leave on an island consistently. Now if we drafted Verrett, Fuller, Roby, Dennard, Gilbert first, then I would be down for Breeland later. Just don't want to count on him as the first corner that we pick. If we wait until the 2nd/3rd round, I want to draft a corner with more athleticism and upside. Aikens, Desir, Watkins are the type of guys I'd prefer.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Ok you're selling me a little more on him. That analysis by Kevin Weidl from Scouts Inc is off base though. He says Breeland has "extremely long arms". Lol, his arms measure under 32".

Still not sold on him as anything more than a #2 corner. I'm looking for guys that have the possibility of developing into that #1. I don't see that with Breeland. I think he could be ok for us, but don't think he'll ever be that guy you can count on to leave on an island consistently. Now if we drafted Verrett, Fuller, Roby, Dennard, Gilbert first, then I would be down for Breeland later. Just don't want to count on him as the first corner that we pick. If we wait until the 2nd/3rd round, I want to draft a corner with more athleticism and upside. Aikens, Desir, Watkins are the type of guys I'd prefer.

2 of my favorites.
few things I care about are
  • get either cooks in the 1st round or dri archer in the 2nd or 3rd rounds
  • try to get 2 picks in the 1st round and get a CB with the second pick of the 1st round or an early pick in the 2nd round, if we cant get two picks in the 1st round
  • get a defensive lineman who can rush the passer or stuff the run dominantly from one of the first 3 rounds
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Not the worst draft, but don't need a RB in the 3rd and don't want Sam at all.

Yeah we aint with that sweet stuff

Yeah I don't need to see Culliver in the headlines...plus I think he's over rated.
TxYou think a 7th rounder who was an All American and the SEC Defensive Player of the Year is overrated? Lol. Who cares if he's gay? It's 2014,why is this still an issue. As a 7th rounder, he'd be a practice squad guy and added depth later on.

Not worth the distraction, no thanks.
How is it a distraction? Cause ESPN will talk about it a couple times? I wouldn't mind having some good PR come our way instead of the all the bad PR we've had recently.

Lol, yeah I'm sure It will be just that "a couple times"..... Since when has ESPN *EVER* reported something "just a couple times"???

Yeah, it will have its own little scroll line across the bottom of EVERY sports reporting channel ****Openly gay LB Michael Sam drafted at # by X team**** running every 5 mins for the fallowing 3 days not to mention the endless amount of stories that will be broadcast until the start of the season.

No F-N thank you!!! I could careless what you do in your bedroom, that's your own business and just because I like women instead of having another man insert his magic stick in my anus while pulling the harness on the back of my head attached to the ball gag in my mouth, while slapping me on the ass, screaming he wish he could quit me....doesn't mean that I have to broadcast it to the world and it ESPECIALLY does not give me the right to walk into my work place and subject my fellow workers to my preferences.

Sam has the absolute right to live a free, happy and prosperous life, but he doesn't have the right to create an uncomfortable work place atmosphere that can do nothing but cause distractions at some point, especially in the over media-ized (yes my own made up word) world we live in.

So like I said, no thanks to a bubble player that will have a hard time making most 53 man rosters LET ALONE the 49ers roster.
The problem I have with trading up to get Beckham is even with all his skills, he's no replacement for Crabtree. Baalke really has to find a bigger WR who can continue MC's productivity. Drafting speed is good...but you have to be able to replace your starters who're likely leaving.

Marcus Smith is an excellent pick.

Agree, 3rd rd's too early to take a RB. I can see Baalke getting a bruiser...in essence to replace Dixon, later in the draft. Instead, Baalke should go WR or CB here.

Instead of Skov, both Bradford and Christian Jones offer more speed and are just as tough.

Not a big fan of Colvin...his reckless abandon style of play at 177 lbs will only get him on the IRL. Desir or one of several other CB's would work better.

Patchan sounds like the kind of versatile OL Harbaalke really like.

Logan Thomas is a guy Harbaugh likes...why not.

Agree WRT Sam...maybe a S, instead.
Lol, yeah I'm sure It will be just that "a couple times"..... Since when has ESPN *EVER* reported something "just a couple times"???

Yeah, it will have its own little scroll line across the bottom of EVERY sports reporting channel ****Openly gay LB Michael Sam drafted at # by X team**** running every 5 mins for the fallowing 3 days not to mention the endless amount of stories that will be broadcast until the start of the season.

No F-N thank you!!! I could careless what you do in your bedroom, that's your own business and just because I like women instead of having another man insert his magic stick in my anus while pulling the harness on the back of my head attached to the ball gag in my mouth, while slapping me on the ass, screaming he wish he could quit me....doesn't mean that I have to broadcast it to the world and it ESPECIALLY does not give me the right to walk into my work place and subject my fellow workers to my preferences.

Sam has the absolute right to live a free, happy and prosperous life, but he doesn't have the right to create an uncomfortable work place atmosphere that can do nothing but cause distractions at some point, especially in the over media-ized (yes my own made up word) world we live in.

So like I said, no thanks to a bubble player that will have a hard time making most 53 man rosters LET ALONE the 49ers roster.
You sure seem to have given male on male relations alot of thought. Just saying.

You sure seem to have given male on male relations alot of thought. Just saying.

There you go, if an average mid 30's regular Joe in the US can only imagine the craziness of another persons bedroom behavior, what will happen with 52 other grown ass, alpha males and how they react to their own thoughts???

The Incognito/Martin situation is absolute proof of what can go wrong with non related football behavior and situations.

So I'll say once again, why add the distraction for a bubble player that will not make the 49ers final roster?

If Aldon Smith walks into the locker room tomorrow with his baby arm out and flying, smacking every passer by and goes all Charles Haley.......well then the locker room would just have to accept it, because unlike Sam, Smith would be well worth the distraction.
[ Edited by CWin4949 on May 7, 2014 at 7:27 AM ]
The sam subject sure does bring the neadrathals out of hiding.

There you go, if an average mid 30's regular Joe in the US can only imagine the craziness of another persons bedroom behavior, what will happen with 52 other grown ass, alpha males and how they react to their own thoughts???

The Incognito/Martin situation is absolute proof of what can go wrong with non related football behavior and situations.

So I'll say once again, why add the distraction for a bubble player that will not make the 49ers final roster?

If Aldon Smith walks into the locker room tomorrow with his baby arm out and flying, smacking every passer by and goes all Charles Haley.......well then the locker room would just have to accept it, because unlike Sam, Smith would be well worth the distraction.

Dude you're a bigot, it's fine. But stop making asinine reasons for not wanting him. Tell me a football reason. Not cause Aldon might walk around naked. I think Baalke and Harbaugh could careless about what you deem "a distraction". Was Alex benched for Colin a distraction? Was acquiring Perrish Cox, after what he was accused of, a distraction? Was Randy Moss signing with us, a distraction? Trading for Jonathan Martin, a distraction? You're just grasping at straws, as a reason you don't want an openly gay player on the team.

Dude you're a bigot, it's fine. But stop making asinine reasons for not wanting him. Tell me a football reason. Not cause Aldon might walk around naked. I think Baalke and Harbaugh could careless about what you deem "a distraction". Was Alex benched for Colin a distraction? Was acquiring Perrish Cox, after what he was accused of, a distraction? Was Randy Moss signing with us, a distraction? Trading for Jonathan Martin, a distraction? You're just grasping at straws, as a reason you don't want an openly gay player on the team.

Lol, "bigot".....???

Sorry, but being a person with an openly gay member of my family and also having lived almost 40 years as a minority, I find that comment absurdly amusing.

You don't have a clue about me or my social and societal acceptances and supports, so it's best to just stick to the subject at hand and that is whether or not Michael Sam being drafted by the 49ers will improve their roster.

So once again I will say, Sam does not have the talent to make the 49er final roster and the added distraction that he will bring with him to an already unstable social group of existing players, that by the way already have established relationships and leadership roles among a Championship level team, does not warrant the distraction that is without doubt going to fallow him.

Comparing the Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick, Cox, Moss and Martin situations is laughable. No where near the same social situation, not even close, so you might try to find better comparisons.

The ONLY, SINGLE reason is, Sam does NOT have the talent to make the *49er* current roster. Does that mean he can't make an NFL roster? Absolutely not, but as I've stated, his distraction element is not worth his playing talent when talking about the 49ers...
[ Edited by CWin4949 on May 7, 2014 at 8:33 AM ]

Lol, "bigot".....???

Sorry, but being a person with an openly gay member of my family and also having lived almost 40 years as a minority, I find that comment absurdly amusing.

You don't have a clue about me or my social and societal acceptances and supports, so it's best to just stick to the subject at hand and that is whether or not Michael Sam being drafted by the 49ers will improve their roster.

So once again I will say, Sam does not have the talent to make the 49er final roster and the added distraction that he will bring with him to an already unstable social group of existing players, that by the way already have established relationships and leadership roles among a Championship level team, does not warrant the distraction that is without doubt going to fallow him.

Comparing the Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick, Cox, Moss and Martin situations is laughable. No where near the same social situation, not even close, so you might try to find better comparisons.

The ONLY, SINGLE reason is, Sam does NOT have the talent to make the *49er* current roster. Does that mean he can't make an NFL roster? Absolutely not, but as I've stated, his distraction element is not worth his playing talent when talking about the 49ers...
Its cool, you don't have to give me examples of why you're not a bigot. It's like white people saying "I'm not racist, I have A black friend".

But on the actual subject at hand. Give me a reason he doesn't have the talent (again, hypothetically speaking as though we picked him in the 7th). Tell me a player available in the 7th, that's been an All American, Defensive Player of the Year, who had 19 TFL and 11.5 sacks in the toughest conference in college. You can't. So don't go with the cop out "he doesn't have talent" that's laughable. He has talent, and if spending time on the PS helps, that's fine. He'd be a 7th round, hard to make the roster regardless.

How is comparing all the situations I listed different? We're they not discussed on espn, written about, scrutinized by every talking head? And did Baalke or Harbaugh flinch? No, they don't care about the media's opinion. Like Harbaugh said "we're the 49ers, we can do whatever we want". And you can't tell me he doesn't really feel that way. And that's in regards to everything.
First 3 picks I'm fine with. The rest of it is blech to me
Just stop.

And no explanation is needed IMO.

Lol, "bigot".....???

People just love to throw around the term bigot so loosely. Kind of like how when someone doesn't agree with Obama's politics, they're racist. lol. His argument is that Michael Sam will indeed be a significant distraction, and that he thinks the distraction is not worth the talent that you would be getting out of the player. This is a guy that is on the bubble of even being drafted due to poor athleticism and strength.

It's a similar situation to Tim Tebow. Do you really want that type of media distraction for a player that's probably not that good to begin with? If Aldon, Willis, Gore, Kap, Vernon, etc. were gay it wouldn't really matter, because those are damn good players and you can afford to ride through media circuses for players of that caliber. Now if our coaches feel that Michael Sam is a legit player that can help this team, then draft him. But if he's seen as more of a long shot, it's probably wiser to just forgo the media hoopla.
Share 49ersWebzone