There are 153 users in the forums

Maiocco's Seven Round Mock Draft

Originally posted by CWin4949:
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Not the worst draft, but don't need a RB in the 3rd and don't want Sam at all.

Yeah we aint with that sweet stuff

Yeah I don't need to see Culliver in the headlines...plus I think he's over rated.
You think a 7th rounder who was an All American and the SEC Defensive Player of the Year is overrated? Lol. Who cares if he's gay? It's 2014,why is this still an issue. As a 7th rounder, he'd be a practice squad guy and added depth later on.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Not a big fan. Need better corners in there. Also I don't see us drafting Skov. Willis and Bowman are some of the fastest inside backers in the game. I doubt we draft a slow one to fill in for Bowman.

And Cooks should be the preference instead of Beckham. Who cares if Beckham can jump higher and has longer arms. Neither guy would be drafted to be a red zone threat. We need the guy with the superior quickness/speed and that's Cooks. I do like Beckham too, but prefer Cooks.

The bashing of Breeland really needs to stop. He's an ideal fit for this defense in many ways, but his name must not be sexy enough, I dunno.

Dude's ceiling is an 'ok' #2 corner. Also not very athletic. Not what I'm looking for the niners to draft. Should go after guys with more potential.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Yeah I don't need to see Culliver in the headlines...plus I think he's over rated.
TxYou think a 7th rounder who was an All American and the SEC Defensive Player of the Year is overrated? Lol. Who cares if he's gay? It's 2014,why is this still an issue. As a 7th rounder, he'd be a practice squad guy and added depth later on.

Not worth the distraction, no thanks.
way too high for a rb that will never see the field
I hate it. OLB with our 2nd pick? I don't care about the Aldon situation, Lemonier and Skuta will be fine for however long he's out. RB in the 3rd round is stupid. We need a CB a lot earlier than he has us picking one. ILB in the 3rd round is also dumb.
Dude's ceiling is an 'ok' #2 corner. Also not very athletic. Not what I'm looking for the niners to draft. Should go after guys with more potential.

According to who? Breeland came out about a year too early, very raw, with a lot of room to improve and grow. Pair him with Brock and the 49ers would have two very tough, physical CB's.

TxYou think a 7th rounder who was an All American and the SEC Defensive Player of the Year is overrated? Lol. Who cares if he's gay? It's 2014,why is this still an issue. As a 7th rounder, he'd be a practice squad guy and added depth later on.

Not worth the distraction, no thanks.
How is it a distraction? Cause ESPN will talk about it a couple times? I wouldn't mind having some good PR come our way instead of the all the bad PR we've had recently.
How is it a distraction? Cause ESPN will talk about it a couple times? I wouldn't mind having some good PR come our way instead of the all the bad PR we've had recently.

Other teams fans will make fun of us.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Other teams fans will make fun of us.

Gross, why would you give up #56 to move up 13 spots? We moved up 13 spots last year giving away #74. Hate it.

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Gross, why would you give up #56 to move up 13 spots? We moved up 13 spots last year giving away #74. Hate it.

People have told you before and you still don't seem to get it. The 49ers basically raped the Cowboys last year on that trade. No guarantee that they find someone equally stupid this time around. I think they can get by with a 3rd and a 4th rounder but last year was an exception and definitely not the rule.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

People have told you before and you still don't seem to get it. The 49ers basically raped the Cowboys last year on that trade. No guarantee that they find someone equally stupid this time around. I think they can get by with a 3rd and a 4th rounder but last year was an exception and definitely not the rule.

Actually the draft calculator said the cowboys got the better of the deal 1187 to 1107
[ Edited by ElephantHaley on May 6, 2014 at 9:02 PM ]

According to who? Breeland came out about a year too early, very raw, with a lot of room to improve and grow. Pair him with Brock and the 49ers would have two very tough, physical CB's.

According to me lol. That's my opinion.. I don't see him developing into anything special. I'm not fond of our first pick at corner being a guy that is under 6'0, ran a 4.6 40, and isn't very quick to go along with that. Hard to think a guy like that will become a #1 corner, unless he's playing in the right system. Can you put him on an island to run with 4.3 guys down the field, can he cover the shiftier guys in the league, can he jump with the bigger guys in the league? He'd better play a hell of a lot bigger, faster, and quicker than his workout #s suggest to give one confidence that he'll ever be a #1.

There are always exceptions, like Joe Haden, but Breeland isn't anywhere the talent that Haden was coming out. I think Breeland will be ok, but I see other corners in this draft with more upside. I want us to go after corners with more potential to become a lock down man to man corner, which allows our defense to be more versatile.
Moving up to the teens, or earlier, where I project Beckham would be steep, probably more than just a second rounder. M. Smith is a very good player and I doubt he is there at the end of the second round. I am not a big fan of Breeland, although he has good size. West is an underrated prospect and will be a third rounder.

I have Skov going undrafted right now. He is a medical disaster, and his workout was a bigger disaster. Not sure if this kid plays more than a handful of games in the NFL. I also project Sam as undrafted.

Logan Thomas has fourth rounder written all over him. Not sure why MM thinks he will be a 7th rounder.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 6, 2014 at 9:28 PM ]
According to me lol. That's my opinion.. I don't see him developing into anything special. I'm not fond of our first pick at corner being a guy that is under 6'0, ran a 4.6 40, and isn't very quick to go along with that. Hard to think a guy like that will become a #1 corner, unless he's playing in the right system. Can you put him on an island to run with 4.3 guys down the field, can he cover the shiftier guys in the league, can he jump with the bigger guys in the league? He'd better play a hell of a lot bigger, faster, and quicker than his workout #s suggest to give one confidence that he'll ever be a #1.

There are always exceptions, like Joe Haden, but Breeland isn't anywhere the talent that Haden was coming out. I think Breeland will be ok, but I see other corners in this draft with more upside. I want us to go after corners with more potential to become a lock down man to man corner, which allows our defense to be more versatile.

Breeland is tough and physical, plays very aggressively, a good man to man corner with length who fits well into Fangio's system. I think he will be a good value for somebody, very underrated but has the right hard-nosed mentality, just needs to be coached up. I do happen to think that Breeland has the potential to become a very good #2 cornerback. Considering we're talking about the 2nd/3rd round, that's not a bad thing at all, especially since I only see one or two guys in this entire draft with actual #1 CB potential.

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl does not believe Clemson CB Bashaud Breeland will make it far past the second-round.
"Breeland has a lot of appeal as a prospect," Weidl tweeted. "Extremely long arms, easy mover (with plus) range." Teams will put a premium on bigger corners that can slow down their opposition with length and contend at the catch point. Our own Josh Norris prefers Breeland over Stanley Jean-Baptiste, a prospect who is more frequently discussed."

If the 49ers want to be more physical with their CB's, Breeland might be the best guy for it after Dennard and Fuller. He's an ideal Baalke player, length, toughness, gritty, blue collar, doesn't quit...etc.

He's also a lot more athletic than given credit for. Might not have track speed but has football field speed.

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah debuted Clemson CB Bashaud Breeland at No. 42 on his Top-50 rankings.
"Breeland is a tall, fluid cornerback with good recovery speed," Jeremiah wrote. "He lines up as the boundary corner in Clemson's defense. In press coverage, he uses a one-hand jam and has the quickness and agility to mirror underneath routes and the speed to carry vertical routes. In off coverage, he has plenty of burst out of his plant/drive to make plays on the ball." The scribe notes Breeland's propensity to gamble and think his way out of position, but believes Breeland's closing speed generally erases his errors.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 6, 2014 at 9:31 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone