LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana... all hype? or overlooked awesomeness?

So, even though I was liking what I saw in a game or two of watching... I was stubborn and wouldn't move Latimer above the 3rd round.

Now, with some of the draft talk (Kiper/McShay, etc) of Latimer being a late 1st and an overlooked stud... I watched more.

I read from a draftnik that if you have Moncrief as a late 1st to mid 2nd prospect.. you simply have no reason to keep Latimer out of that range..... and I felt that was logical. After all... both opened eyes with big drill numbers... but it seems clear that Latimer has the better hands of the two.

So what say you? Anyone look closely into him? Anyone not budging on him being a top 50 pick?

( good article)
http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2014/4/18/5627128/nfl-draft-2014-cody-latimer-scouting-report-indiana
The guy looks pretty impressive on tape. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted him, maybe not with our #30 pick, but anytime thereafter. Why he hasn't been rated amongst the top receivers and is only now being touted is a mystery. The talent is evident.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/175794-cody-latimer-wr-indianadeclared/
The hype around him reminds me of DJ Hayden from last year. A lot of whispers. Someone will "reach" for him way earlier than he should be. I think his true value at this point is mid-late 2nd round. His overhyped value will push him to late 1st, early 2nd round.
If we end up with him or Moncrief in the second round, I would not be disappointed. The Niners need the speed on the outside and these two are the best size AND speed options at WR that should be available.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Apr 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM ]
A lot of hype, very talented but also raw, huge upside but i wouldnt use anything than an early 3rd rounder for him at best.
We simply can't let the "Hawks get him.
Apologies for the extra Latimer thread. I didn't remember there was one.. and I make so few threads that I didn't think to check.
His potential is crazy, but he doesn't seem like a WR who could jump on the field and play right now. That said, he's one of the few WR who has the physical potential to be a dominant, all around #1 in this draft. We have our starters now, so we could afford to develop him, but I don't know how I feel about spending a first on a guy who seems so raw. I would probably be pumped if we got him, but I'd also wonder about who else we could have gotten at that point, especially if we take him at 30.

I don't know if anything I just said makes sense...
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
If we end up with him or Moncrief in the second round, I would not be disappointed. The Niners need the speed on the outside and these two are the best size AND speed options at WR that should be available.

I really like Moncrief. I feel that he plays faster than Latimer, but I really like that Latimer seems more comfortable catching away from his body. I'd be cool with either, as well. So many good WR in this draft. Latimer/Moncrief early, Ellington/Herron mid, maybe Reese late...

This is gonna be a fun draft to watch.

What is with all of this "he's raw" talk anyway? If you look at games played for all of the WRs that most feel are above him... then why is 32 games considered "raw"?

Latimer - 32

Watkins - 36 gp
Evans - 26
Lee - 36
Benjamin - 28
Cooks - 38
OBJ3 - 40
Adams - 26
Moncrief - 38
Mathews - 51
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
What is with all of this "he's raw" talk anyway? If you look at games played for all of the WRs that most feel are above him... then why is 32 games considered "raw"?

Latimer - 32

Watkins - 36 gp
Evans - 26
Lee - 36
Benjamin - 28
Cooks - 38
OBJ3 - 40
Adams - 26
Moncrief - 38
Mathews - 51

Type of offense, as compared to an NFL offense, particularly how frequently it appears that his route running requires him to think on the fly, run precise routes, uncover a teammate, etc. I don't think he could jump right into an offense the same way that someone like Brandin Cooks could (I am not certain I want Cooks, just a comparison of polish, IMO).
YARGHHHH!!!

double post
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:41 AM ]
My standards must have gotten lower ever since trying to convince myself AJ Jenkins s**tty college tape was good but this guy looks good
Very good football player. Is he 1st round caliber? To one team, he might be. He certainly looks the part physically and skills wise, there isn't much that needs to be tweaked. Very few issues with his game, and easily coachable. So, it all will depend.
Share 49ersWebzone