LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana... all hype? or overlooked awesomeness?

@Gil_Brandt: .@49ers paid particular attention to Cody Latimer yesterday. WR coach John Morton spend 1.5 hrs w Latimer after workout
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
@Gil_Brandt: .@49ers paid particular attention to Cody Latimer yesterday. WR coach John Morton spend 1.5 hrs w Latimer after workout

Morton has failed to develop A.J. Jenkins, Brandon Williams and Johnson a wr from USC he had coached. All other position coaches on this team have done a better job and I wonder why Harbaugh has not found a new Wr Coach.

Latimer or Moncrief sound good to me.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Our offensive play-calling and Morton = a dead end for this guy's career and possibly any other WR that lands here. If nothing changes, even Boldin, Crabs and Patton will be dead... Lloyd just came to his future funeral and Baldwin is already a walking zombie!!

Our offensive play-calling and Morton
Originally posted by LVJay:
Our offensive play-calling and Morton = a dead end for this guy's career and possibly any other WR that lands here. If nothing changes, even Boldin, Crabs and Patton will be dead... Lloyd just came to his future funeral and Baldwin is already a walking zombie!!

Our offensive play-calling and Morton

Maybe he was teaching Morton how to coach.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Maybe he was teaching Morton how to coach.

HAHA!! Morton taking lessons from the kid... ******g hilarious!
At this point, I think any team wanting Latimer is going to have to take him in the first round. 49ers may be smokescreening hardcore, but they've done enough to make it appear as if you'd be taking a major risk to pass on Latimer, given the impression we are set to jump on him as our selection.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GORO:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Morton has failed to develop A.J. Jenkins, Brandon Williams and Johnson a wr from USC he had coached. All other position coaches on this team have done a better job and I wonder why Harbaugh has not found a new Wr Coach.

Latimer or Moncrief sound good to me.

You mean Kyle Williams, right? Two of the three players were late round picks - and it's very hard to turn late round picks into pro bowl players.

Crabtree has contributed nicely to this offense, why isn't he getting credit for developing him? Anquan Boldin really stepped up with the unit banged up. Patton was injured, but really stepped up late in the season.

Baldwin was a bust, and that has continued in SF. AJ Jenkins production matched Vance McDonald in 2013, so he didn't make a splash in KC.

I used to be one of those people that wanted to replace Morton earlier in the off-season. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized Morton hasn't really gotten an opportunity to truly develop some early round draft selections.

Think about it...the team runs a 2 TE-2WR or I formation personnel schemes the majority of plays, and you have established starters with Boldin and Crabtree, and a pro bowler in Davis.

I'm excited to see an early round draft prospect this year and watch his development under Morton. I think that's the true test.
Originally posted by GEEK:
You mean Kyle Williams, right? Two of the three players were late round picks - and it's very hard to turn late round picks into pro bowl players.

Crabtree has contributed nicely to this offense, why isn't he getting credit for developing him? Anquan Boldin really stepped up with the unit banged up. Patton was injured, but really stepped up late in the season.

Baldwin was a bust, and that has continued in SF. AJ Jenkins production matched Vance McDonald in 2013, so he didn't make a splash in KC.

I used to be one of those people that wanted to replace Morton earlier in the off-season. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized Morton hasn't really gotten an opportunity to truly develop some early round draft selections.

Think about it...the team runs a 2 TE-2WR or I formation personnel schemes the majority of plays, and you have established starters with Boldin and Crabtree, and a pro bowler in Davis.

I'm excited to see an early round draft prospect this year and watch his development under Morton. I think that's the true test.

Completely agree. The failures of Williams, Jenkins, Baldwin, and Johnson is not really on Morton. There was nothing to develop there. The failure was in the scouting, and the players themselves. They didn't produce in SF, or anywhere else for that matter. Those guys are garbage.

Crabtree has really taken off under Morton, and Boldin just had his best season in 4 years. If you give him quality talent to work with, the players will produce. This is a VERY good coaching staff. Just need better receiving talent.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Fun fact: Last season Latimer had 72 catches for 1096 yrds. 49 of his 72 catches resulted in either a 1st down or a TD.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Completely agree. The failures of Williams, Jenkins, Baldwin, and Johnson is not really on Morton. There was nothing to develop there. The failure was in the scouting, and the players themselves. They didn't produce in SF, or anywhere else for that matter. Those guys are garbage.

Crabtree has really taken off under Morton, and Boldin just had his best season in 4 years. If you give him quality talent to work with, the players will produce. This is a VERY good coaching staff. Just need better receiving talent.

That's ridiculous. Our guys were pathetic at the position without Crabtree in there. Crab was a top receiver in that draft and would produce under any coach due to his talent alone. If anything it took too long for him to get to the level he should be at and he probably learned more from Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin than he did from Morton.

Morton went to bat for us to draft Ronald Johnson...dude couldnt' even make the roster and meanwhile Doug Baldwin didn't sign with us as a free agent because he felt we had too many guys for him to make the roster.

He has done a horrible job and there should be no arguing that. The fact that he still has a job with us is crazy to me.

• xcfan
  • Veteran
morton coached jerry rice, who is 7 years older than morton. morton coached tim brown, who is 3 years older than morton. who learned from whom?
I'm not sure Morton did, could or should coach any of our receivers. If you compare receivers in this team vs. other teams from a purely numbers point of view, it doesnt do anybody any justice since our play calling and our inability to get the ball to anybody that CK doesnt trust pretty much nullifies any chance that any other receiver besides the top few will prosper. So we shouldnt blame Morton for that. Note: I'm not saying that he's a good or bad coach, I'm just saying that we dont know enough to evaluate him.
Originally posted by genus49:
That's ridiculous. Our guys were pathetic at the position without Crabtree in there. Crab was a top receiver in that draft and would produce under any coach due to his talent alone. If anything it took too long for him to get to the level he should be at and he probably learned more from Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin than he did from Morton.

Morton went to bat for us to draft Ronald Johnson...dude couldnt' even make the roster and meanwhile Doug Baldwin didn't sign with us as a free agent because he felt we had too many guys for him to make the roster.

He has done a horrible job and there should be no arguing that. The fact that he still has a job with us is crazy to me.

This
Patton is gonna do well so the coaches & Baalke will have that feather in their hat. But the FO isnt giving the coaches much to work with and the coaches havent transformed anyone. KW, AJJ, and RJ were all small WRs, in a division where size is beating quickness lately. We need to get some size at that position asap and Latimer fits the bill.
[ Edited by 5280High on Apr 27, 2014 at 2:26 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Patton is gonna do well so the coaches & Baalke will have that feather in their hat. But the FO isnt giving the coaches much to work with and the coaches havent transformed anyone. KW, AJJ, and RJ were all small WRs, in a division where size is beating quickness lately. We need to get some size at that position asap and Latimer fits the bill.

It is? Which receivers in particular gave Seattle the most trouble last season?
Share 49ersWebzone