LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

why do we want a 5'9 cb with the 30 pick

If you can play, you can play. Tramaine Brock is a hair under 5'10". I don't recall his height ever being a problem this year. Instincts, speed, technique, and playmaking are more important than height.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 28, 2014 at 2:20 PM ]
Because the biggest hole in the secondary is at nickel. Small DBs usually have better change of direction than bigger guys.
doesn't he need ankle surgery coming up???
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:
Thank you. This question is just as foolish as people clamoring for us to sign receivers just because they're "fast."

I can name plenty of bum CB's with size (we just signed one, in fact) and I can name even more terrible receivers with sub 4.4 speed.

It's not all about a player's physical attributes.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
1.) He's a tough, smart and fast CB who immediately becomes your starting nickel corner (notice the word "starter")
2.) He has the ability to eventually transition outside as well because he plays taller than 5'9"
3.) Even with this push for bigger CBs, height is becoming more and more overrated (2 of the top 4 vote getters for 2013 defensive player of the year are "undersized", Earl Thomas and Robert Mathis)

I agree.

The draft is about selecting football players.

Having size (or speed or both size and speed ) does not mean a player is a good football player.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
doesn't he need ankle surgery coming up???

TCU CB Jason Verrett to have surgery on torn labrum

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/3/6/5477866/tcu-jason-verrett-surgery-2014-nfl-draft

It is shoulder surgery and should not affect his wheels or his availability for training camp.
I'm on the fence with drafting smaller guys like Verrett too but I wouldn't mind this time. At the end of the day, you get a pitbull like defender that runs like a cheetah guarding speedy slot receivers that have killed us in the past. The inability to guard V Cruz in 2011 cost us at least one superbowl in my opinion. Don't get me started with 2012 and 2013 playoff games.

Anyways, I still prefer Fuller over Verrett but I'm not sure if Brock would be moved back to the slot after signing his contract extenstion. If we pass on Verrett, I'm not sure which slot corners can start for us next season. The dropoff from Verrett to the next slot cornerback is pretty big imo. We shall see what their plans are.
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM ]
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
what is the obsession with verrett ,

Because if he was 2 inches taller he'd be a Top 15 pick or better? Because he's an outstanding cover guy with tremendously fluid hips and incredible athleticism who can help shutdown the Percy Harvin's of the NFL. Because he'd step in as the slot corner right away from the get-go as a rookie.

Alterraun Verner was one of the best cornerback's in the NFL this past season, he's an inch taller and weighs about 5 pounds less than Verrett. Kyle Fuller is 2 inches taller than Verrett, 1 pound heavier and doesn't have the same amount of incredible deep speed.

Verrett is a guy who can handle quickness or deep speed, he was rarely out of position and got his hands more on passes than any other cornerback in the draft.

especially with the receiver in our division ????????????

This really confuses me. The 49ers aren't in the NFC North, they'll have to defend Percy Harvin, Tavon Austin, Ted Ginn, Doug Baldwin....etc. Average to smaller receivers, guys with great quickness or speed, the kind of players you want someone like Verrett to defend with.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2014 at 3:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
That makes no sense. I've got no problem with his height, but I don't understand what this means when people claim this. Can the guy stretch his arms like Dahlsim?

He has a 40 inch vertical, for his size he gets up in the air and attacks the football. He has shown that he can handle guys like Beckham Jr and he made Goodley look flat out silly during a game this season, and that is with a bum shoulder.

Instincts/Recognition-1-Above-average FBIs. Strong understanding for leverage and consistently maintains quality positioning. Very good eyes and anticipation skills in coverage. Aggressive and has improved confidence throughout career. Will occasionally get overzealous against double moves but has speed to recover and cut down on those mistakes in 2013.

Cover Skills-1 Quick twitched with explosive movement skills. Flips hips on a dime. Excellent change of direction skills. Can mirror quickest WRs (LSU's Odell Beckham) without giving up separation. Explodes out of pedal. Quickly transitions out of breaks and displays good balance and short-area burst. Also has elite top-end speed to stick with NFL burners in vertical game. Above-average recovery speed. Lacks of size is only limiting factor in coverage. But is physical and aggressive, so holds his own vs. bigger WRs better than most WRs his size.

Ball Skills-2 Above-average anticipation and playmaking instincts. Quality angles and tracks ball well. Very good body control to adjust. Flashes ability to make acrobatic INT but hands are a bit inconsistent. Can be boxed out by bigger receivers in jump ball situations. Bottom line: makes a lot of plays on the football: 30 PBU's and 8 INTs last two seasons (2012-13).

Run Support-2 Plays bigger than measurables. More than willing to support run. Can get overwhelmed at point of attack by bigger blockers on occasion but usually able to work off of blocks and at least contribute by funneling ball carrier back inside. Takes quality angles and breaks down well in space. Closes in a flash. Shows some initial pop as a hitter (see: knockout blow to Texas Tech TE Jace Amaro). Also does a good job of hog-tying ball carriers in space.

If he can come in as the slot corner, he instantly gives the secondary a huge infusion of speed, quickness and playmaking ability.

• pfizz
if you cant see it then you probably wouldnt understand even if everyone explained. jason verrett is a STUD regardless of size.

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
what is the obsession with verrett ,especially with the receiver in our division ????????????

I think you answered your own question. We need someone to shut down players like Harvin, Baldwin, Austin, Ellington.

Also because he was the only CB at the combine that REALLY impressed Deion Sanders. Aside from his tape, which is phenomenal, if Deion says your are good you are good. Simple as that !
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 28, 2014 at 4:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
1.) He's a tough, smart and fast CB who immediately becomes your starting nickel corner (notice the word "starter")
2.) He has the ability to eventually transition outside as well because he plays taller than 5'9"
3.) Even with this push for bigger CBs, height is becoming more and more overrated (2 of the top 4 vote getters for 2013 defensive player of the year are "undersized", Earl Thomas and Robert Mathis)

That makes no sense. I've got no problem with his height, but I don't understand what this means when people claim this. Can the guy stretch his arms like Dahlsim?

Look it up.
I wouldnt mind drafting him just dont like tha idea of spending a 1st round pick on a nickel N or slot CB ..... Rather have a future starter like Fuller at #30 or trade back into tha 2nd round(between 38-45) pick get a future pick N draft Tuitt ...
[ Edited by tatdwolf49 on Mar 28, 2014 at 4:05 PM ]
if he is above and beyond better than any of the 2nd rd cb's then i have no problem selecting him, but, if we can find better value in the 2nd rd then i'll go wr in the 1st.
it's all about value and nothing more. baalke will not let size keep him from selecting a player of value
I don't want any 5'9" CB's ever much less in the first round. 5'11" and up.
Share 49ersWebzone