LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 388 users in the forums

why do we want a 5'9 cb with the 30 pick

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DeUh:
True. He has some major holes. No way around it. But I´m not concerned about his 40 time at all. Not sure what happened at the combine. But he ran barefoot on a rubber surface cause it rained outside at this pro day. He plays fast on tape. That is all I want to see.

Not sure if Culliver gets cut but he will not get an extension. I think Purifoy is still very talented would be able to play in 2015. This year he would still be a nice ST player.

I have him with a 4th round grade.

I'm not even talking about his 40 times, he absolutely crapped the bed in field drills at his Pro Day. I wouldn't touch him anywhere short of the 5th round at this point, not sure what is going on with him but he has looked absolutely horrible...........which of course means he'll actually end up being a decent player in the NFL

But he still does scare the heck out of me, he's had a brutal offseason to follow up a mediocre season.

Have not seen the drills yet. Which I think I should watch now . Only looked up his numbers.
Have not seen the drills yet. Which I think I should watch now . Only looked up his numbers.

I would say Watkins has passed him up. Would draft Watkins in the 3rd round, no question.
His height doesn't matter what does is his skill level and smartness and hes top notch on both, The NFL is using smaller speed guys like Harvin and Austin and Welker more and more now and Verrett is the corner who has the skill level to take them out of the game. Our last corner who was assigned to that was Rodgers and he sucked at it. With Harvin and Austin having to face them 4 times a year we need a guy like Verrett to handle them while the outside corners handle there job. Like people mentioned here he plays a lot taller than his height. Hes aggressive and will make plays.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Baptiste was looked at as a 5th-6th rounder prior to the Seahawks winning the Superbowl, then all of a sudden big cornerbacks are sexy and he moves up as a result of that hype. I see him as late 3rd round to mid 4th round value. He's still very raw, somewhat stiff and if he whiffs and misses while pressing, that's goodnight and all she wrote.

Baptiste has upside, but he's a guy you need to take time to develop, in terms of being able to contribute, Verrett is way ahead. In terms of football, technique and overall cornerback skills, Verrett is way ahead. There is nothing about Baptiste that makes me think he even remotely is worth taking in the 1st round.

In a system like Seattle's, he has the chance to be a pretty good cornerback, anywhere else and I'm not as convinced. Verrett I think can step into the 49ers defense and be a very good contributor from Day 1.

He was actually looked at as 4-5th round talent until before the combine and his pro day. Big corner's have been "sexy" ever since the legion of boom started, not the superbowl (aka Browner and Sherman not Maxwell/Thurmond and Sherman)

Luckily, Baptise doesn't have the same issues with press coverage that Verrett does... I dont understand your argument there as Baptise is on another level with press coverage compared to Verrett. Not to mention he is very strong and on his combine report he is known for re-routing opposing WR whereas I have watched Verrett get taken out of many plays while struggling to shed blocks.
If you start at CB in Vic Fangio's defense, you better know how to shed blocks and tackle. Does that sound like Verrett?

Also, I'm failing to understand how Verrett is way ahead of Baptise in terms of contribution. Didn't Verrett just heal up from shoulder surgery? A guy with his frame needs to stay healthy or else that injury will be exposed time and time again. Also, I don't think Verrett would beat out Cook for a starting job, I don't think Baptise is either but I'd still rather have him learning our defense than Verrett. Plus if things don't pan out for Baptise he has the size to play SS. Baptise is versatile, Verrett is not.

Jason Verrett would be the lightest corner on our team by about 20lbs, and the shortest by about 2 inches. I'm sorry but this is not our guy. Based on size, run support, and injury concerns I would gladly pass for another CB. That guy may not be Baptise, but at least he is a step in the right direction.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
never draft a 5'9 cb high in the draft. do not want
I have visions of the Bears' wide-outs, Marshall and Jeffery, being too physical for a small DB. Verrett may have all the skills but when someone 5'9" goes up against a receiver that's 6'4" 240 who would you bet on?
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I AGree with you. I never was crazy about this dude. I pray to God the 49ers don't draft this dude or that other short dude from FSU. Gimmie a 5'11 or taller CB

How tall was the QB who won the Superbowl last year? At a position where 6'2" is considered short.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I AGree with you. I never was crazy about this dude. I pray to God the 49ers don't draft this dude or that other short dude from FSU. Gimmie a 5'11 or taller CB

How tall was the QB who won the Superbowl last year? At a position where 6'2" is considered short.

He is talking about a Corner back
Not a quarter back

Also, nobody cares about that QB who won the superbowl last year,
As I am confident any starting QB from any NFL would have won that game.
Wilson is a glorified game manager.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I have visions of the Bears' wide-outs, Marshall and Jeffery, being too physical for a small DB. Verrett may have all the skills but when someone 5'9" goes up against a receiver that's 6'4" 240 who would you bet on?

And now think about a 6´3" corner lining up against Percy Harvin or Tavon Austin.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
To get into the playoffs we have to win our division first. A guy like Verrett makes a LOT of sense !

Verrett and Desir...Baalke will be sure to get at least one long-armed CB. I can see Desir and Cook playing press coverage. Both excellent size and reach. Now re-signing Eric Wright sure looks good, eh.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
He was actually looked at as 4-5th round talent until before the combine and his pro day. Big corner's have been "sexy" ever since the legion of boom started, not the superbowl (aka Browner and Sherman not Maxwell/Thurmond and Sherman)

5th/6th rounder before the Superbowl, and that's just going by the various draft sites, several had him as a 7th rounder.

Luckily, Baptise doesn't have the same issues with press coverage that Verrett does... I dont understand your argument there as Baptise is on another level with press coverage compared to Verrett. Not to mention he is very strong and on his combine report he is known for re-routing opposing WR whereas I have watched Verrett get taken out of many plays while struggling to shed blocks.

Let's take a look at the numbers.

Verrett played 1-5 yards off the line, 51% of the time. He played press coverage about 16% of the time. Baptiste played press coverage 28% of the time and played 6-10 yards off the line 40% of the time.

In terms of competions, Verrett allowed 14% of targets over 20 yards to be completed. He allowed 32% of targets from 10-20 yards to be completed.

Baptiste allowed 78% of targets over 20 yards to be completed, he allowed 50% of targets from 10-20 yards to be completed.

Bottomline, if Baptiste whiffed, the receiver was getting loose and making a huge play downfield.

Verrett broke up one of every 2.75 targets. Baptiste broke up every one of 4.3 targets.

With the defense that the 49ers play, being able to keep up with faster receivers down the field, being able to recover if you are beat, being able to make plays on the ball more consistently is more important than your ability in press coverage, particularly if you're playing in the slot. Verrett simply has better ability to move hips, better overall quickness and speed down the field and the numbers reflect that.

If you start at CB in Vic Fangio's defense, you better know how to shed blocks and tackle. Does that sound like Verrett

Actually he did just fine in college, he takes good angles and is a reliable tackler, what more can you ask from a slot corner??

Also, I'm failing to understand how Verrett is way ahead of Baptise in terms of contribution.

Watch some tape of them playing, if you still can't see the difference, stick to Madden Football.

Didn't Verrett just heal up from shoulder surgery? A guy with his frame needs to stay healthy or else that injury will be exposed time and time again. Also, I don't think Verrett would beat out Cook for a starting job, I don't think Baptise is either but I'd still rather have him learning our defense than Verrett.

Verrett is a 1st round prospect for a reason, Baptiste isn't. Verrett all around is simply better in coverage, if you can't see that from actually watching the guy play, then there's no point in having this conversation any further. In terms of being ready to contribute right away, Verrett is a substantially better fit for this team, especially when it comes to defending the faster, quick twitch guys such as Percy Harvin.

Jason Verrett would be the lightest corner on our team by about 20lbs, and the shortest by about 2 inches. I'm sorry but this is not our guy. Based on size, run support, and injury concerns I would gladly pass for another CB. That guy may not be Baptise, but at least he is a step in the right direction.

By 20 pounds? Try like 8 or 9 pounds. Also Brock is 5'10", that's a one inch difference.

Walter Thurmond who people were pretty excited about bringing in came into the NFL at 5'11" and 189, so the same weight as Verrett. The reality is that the 49ers need a true slot corner, a guy who can handle the faster receivers in the division. For that role, Verrett is big enough and far better suited to perform in that role than Baptiste, simple as that.

The fact that you think Baptiste is worth anything near a 1st round pick tells me you need to go back and watch him play more because you seem to be overrating his abilities drastically.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:03 PM ]

And now think about a 6´3" corner lining up against Percy Harvin or Tavon Austin.

Which way did they go? LOL! Yeah, I understand the need to be cautious when a player is outside the ideal in any category but to worry so much about height while ignoring other important tangibles...like speed, ability, stellar play against superior competition...all those little things that add up to demonstate heart...
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:24 PM ]

Great, are those guys in the 49ers division? How often do they see receivers that big? Once again, the 49ers play in the NFC West, not the NFC North, if you can't stop the guys in your own division, don't worry about anything else because you aren't going far. The last time Percy Harvin played against the 49ers he lit them up pretty good. Victor Cruz has lit them up at times, its been smaller, faster receivers that they've had issues with because Rogers simply couldn't keep up.

Nobody is saying that they shouldn't take a bigger cornerback to develop to play on the outside but if you have a shot at an outstanding, play-making talent such as Verrett, you take it. Put him in as the slot corner to replace Rogers, draft another cornerback or two later on to go along with Brock and Wright and call it a day.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:05 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

Share 49ersWebzone