LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 148 users in the forums

Ideal Mock: EDITED for "realistic picks"

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
http://nflmocks.com/2013/11/11/daniel-mccullers-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

This scouting report is about as positive as I've seen for McCullers and it says that McCullers is not a great athlete and can't convert pressures into sacks because he's very slow. If you have evidence of him being able to run a 4.9, I'd love to see it, but it doesn't show up on tape or in the explosion drills (vertical and broad jump).

I think a lot of the problem is there are mixed breakdowns of McCullers. I've seen websites that talk about how explosive and fast he is... Or how he is an amazing athlete for his size. I was under the impression that was the case when I did this mock. If he is what you are claiming him to be then I probably don't want him.. I'd rather take somebody like the DT from penn state or a lineman from LSU.

I used this website as part of the reason for drafting him
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124253&draftyear=2014&genpos=DT

There it claims he has broken 5 and runs anywhere from 5-5.3

I watched his highlight tapes, and on there he had some moves that were pretty impressive for a guy his size, he does show a lot of promise.
I think we do an amazing job at developing defensive lineman- I wanted him originally because I saw his frame and found out he had the speed to go with it, not to mention the brute strength.

I'm going to watch some more tape on him and I'll report back... Thanks for the FU on this, I was originally thinking his story might have been a little too good to be true so it helps hearing it from both sides.
I see you are on the east coast, did you watch him play?
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I think a lot of the problem is there are mixed breakdowns of McCullers. I've seen websites that talk about how explosive and fast he is... Or how he is an amazing athlete for his size. I was under the impression that was the case when I did this mock. If he is what you are claiming him to be then I probably don't want him.. I'd rather take somebody like the DT from penn state or a lineman from LSU.

I used this website as part of the reason for drafting him
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124253&draftyear=2014&genpos=DT

There it claims he has broken 5 and runs anywhere from 5-5.3

I watched his highlight tapes, and on there he had some moves that were pretty impressive for a guy his size, he does show a lot of promise.
I think we do an amazing job at developing defensive lineman- I wanted him originally because I saw his frame and found out he had the speed to go with it, not to mention the brute strength.

I'm going to watch some more tape on him and I'll report back... Thanks for the FU on this, I was originally thinking his story might have been a little too good to be true so it helps hearing it from both sides.
I see you are on the east coast, did you watch him play?

I think I saw Tennessee play once or twice - I'm in the Northeast rather than the mid-Atlantic, but I follow the SEC a little. I saw the 4.98 time when I was looking for his 40, but it doesn't sound right - it was probably hand timed very poorly and I don't think he runs anywhere close to that. Most articles I've seen use the 5.18 time which is still too fast for McCullers in my opinion. The NFL draft scout page does point out that he is not very athletic - the only positive comments about his athleticism seem to be that he has above average movement for his size (still slow for a DT, but above average for a 360 pound man) and he has low body fat and good strength.

If he was 360 pounds with 36+ inch arms and an average athlete for a DE, you would be hearing a lot more about him and it would show up on tape. His length shows up on tape and interests me. It's hard for linemen to block him with his strength and length so I think he could be a reasonable value in the 4th round and don't really dislike the pick. The player you described would he a first round pick.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
nv
[ Edited by KID9R on Apr 1, 2014 at 10:55 PM ]
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
I think I saw Tennessee play once or twice - I'm in the Northeast rather than the mid-Atlantic, but I follow the SEC a little. I saw the 4.98 time when I was looking for his 40, but it doesn't sound right - it was probably hand timed very poorly and I don't think he runs anywhere close to that. Most articles I've seen use the 5.18 time which is still too fast for McCullers in my opinion. The NFL draft scout page does point out that he is not very athletic - the only positive comments about his athleticism seem to be that he has above average movement for his size (still slow for a DT, but above average for a 360 pound man) and he has low body fat and good strength.

If he was 360 pounds with 36+ inch arms and an average athlete for a DE, you would be hearing a lot more about him and it would show up on tape. His length shows up on tape and interests me. It's hard for linemen to block him with his strength and length so I think he could be a reasonable value in the 4th round and don't really dislike the pick. The player you described would he a first round pick.

I've been watching alot of his tape.
First off, he is a HUGE project. The only reason he is as good as he is, and the only reason he is even getting any attention is because of his size.
He has NO pass rushing moves, zero. His footwork is abysmal, he generally tends to do better in a 4-3 than a 3-4 and he tends to keep his frame up and stiff.

Reading about his bio I found that he didn't actually get much coaching and practically walked on to Tenn. The one reason I am still crazy about him (and I know you will cringe here) is he is a pretty dang good athlete for his size. Every once in awhile he will have a play where I'm sitting there going who the F%^& was that? Why can't he do that everyplay? Then he will go through a couple games where he gets 3-4 tackles and thats is.

Its funny watching opposing O-lines adjust to him. So far the only person I have seen perform against him 1on1 is florida states Brian Stork. McCullers had a horrible game that day and 90% of it was because the G would throw a chop block and Stork would catch him off balance. How McCullers didn't blow out a knee is beyond me.

Long story short, he does have some talent there that if our defensive coaching staff developed would turn him into an absolute MONSTER at NT. I can't tell you how many times on his film he would take up 2 blockers and shed them. If i am the offensive line coach, I am counting McCullers as two people because that is literally how he plays.
He would have to slim down a bit to play DE but I don't think he carries the athleticism that position requires.
Share 49ersWebzone