LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Ideal Mock: EDITED for "realistic picks"

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Nicely written ! I especially like Verrett, Archer, Barrow and Martin.

I think you went overkill with Verrett + Watkins. My take would be Verret + Desir or Fuller + Watkins.

I´m pretty low on Hampton. I think South Carolinas defensive line helped his play tremendously. He also ran a 4.69 not 4.49 !

Coleman and Lyerla are your dudes so no hate on them. But personally I dont like either.
Nice mock. I also would love to see Verrett on our team! Moncrief or J Matthews would be my WR of choice from this draft (we can't realistically land Watkins or Evans). I do think we add a late rd QB and possibly a mid to late rd on a S. I like Loston or Buchanon (realistically) Barrow looks like a steal in the mid to late rd. I would love to take a flier on Terrance West from Towson RB (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000310713/article/towsons-terrance-west-entering-draft-after-2509yard-season). Great size/speed combo and very productive albeit against the lower levels of CFB. I hope we take a look at Spencer Long with one of 7th rd picks. We have a lot of options with the depth of this draft and the bevy of picks we have at our disposal...
Goodwin isn't going to be the C...Kilgore is. That's why Baalke extended him. Nothing against Martin, but Kilgore has 2-3 players fully capable of b/u. Kilgore fully understands the offense, line calls, etc. Why draft a rookie who knows none of it.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Goodwin isn't going to be the C...Kilgore is. That's why Baalke extended him. Nothing against Martin, but Kilgore has 2-3 players fully capable of b/u. Kilgore fully understands the offense, line calls, etc. Why draft a rookie who knows none of it.

Because he has ridiculous level talent. I do like him a lot, his potential is ridiculous, if Kilgore turns out to be a solid C and Martin ends up being a Pro Bowl caliber center, will you still see it as a wasted pick? He has a lot of upside so i wouldnt be upset about it at all.
Although it's a different philosophy than Fangio apparently employs, drafting a run-stopping NT like McCullers appeals to me more than another DT or DE like Tuitt.

Not to mention if Kilgore turns out to be a good center (I also was aware he was our center) Martin has the talent and experience to play guard.
At USC they rotated him between C and G so if Iupati leaves, we have a potential replacement for that as well.
Trust me, watch some tape on Martin. He's an athlete.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Although it's a different philosophy than Fangio apparently employs, drafting a run-stopping NT like McCullers appeals to me more than another DT or DE like Tuitt.

McCullers was by far the hardest pick for me. His athleticism is the reason I like him so much.
When I wrote he could play a pass rush DE I was serious. He has the ability/talent level to play there and he moves like one.
I'm hoping he isn't drafted because of his frame, typically a 6'7 guy rushing the outside would get uplifted off the line... But not this guy, he could benefit from learning a couple pass rush moves as well. But hey, that's what we do best in SF
He seriously has the body to play either NT, or L/R DT, or a DE
Sorry for the triple post, haven't been on in awhile and I still need to figure out the copy and pasting of quotes.

Originally posted by DeUh:

I think you went overkill with Verrett + Watkins. My take would be Verret + Desir or Fuller + Watkins.

I´m pretty low on Hampton. I think South Carolinas defensive line helped his play tremendously. He also ran a 4.69 not 4.49 !

Coleman and Lyerla are your dudes so no hate on them. But personally I dont like either.

I had a hard time with that second pick, I almost decided to put Beckham Jr. in there, then pick up Baptise/McGill later...
But I would rather have Moncrief and Watkins then Baptise/McGill and Beckham

He ran a 4.49 before this season started... He seemed a little out of shape to me as well during his combine.
I'm a huge fan of taking "projects" with 7th round picks (hence the Lyerla pick) and I think if we got his head back on straight he could end up being a dominant corner like his junior year.

Also, I know Coleman is growing on you
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 30, 2014 at 6:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:

Not to mention if Kilgore turns out to be a good center (I also was aware he was our center) Martin has the talent and experience to play guard.
At USC they rotated him between C and G so if Iupati leaves, we have a potential replacement for that as well.
Trust me, watch some tape on Martin. He's an athlete.

That's a good point.
McCullers was by far the hardest pick for me. His athleticism is the reason I like him so much.
When I wrote he could play a pass rush DE I was serious. He has the ability/talent level to play there and he moves like one.
I'm hoping he isn't drafted because of his frame, typically a 6'7 guy rushing the outside would get uplifted off the line... But not this guy, he could benefit from learning a couple pass rush moves as well. But hey, that's what we do best in SF
He seriously has the body to play either NT, or L/R DT, or a DE

McCullers cannot play DE in our scheme (or any scheme for that matter). He's way too slow. Choosing not to do any of the movement drills and jumping 20.5" in the vertical does not convey athleticism. Neither does 1.5 career sacks. He does not move at all like a DE and I wouldn't even say he's a good athlete for a NT. The only thing he has going for him is very long arms and strength, but he doesn't play as strong as he should given his size and reach. His height works against him as a NT since he plays high and gives up leverage, but he could be a reasonable run stopper if he learns to stay lower.

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
McCullers cannot play DE in our scheme (or any scheme for that matter). He's way too slow. Choosing not to do any of the movement drills and jumping 20.5" in the vertical does not convey athleticism. Neither does 1.5 career sacks. He does not move at all like a DE and I wouldn't even say he's a good athlete for a NT. The only thing he has going for him is very long arms and strength, but he doesn't play as strong as he should given his size and reach. His height works against him as a NT since he plays high and gives up leverage, but he could be a reasonable run stopper if he learns to stay lower.

I'm going to disagree with you here.
You realize he is as fast as McDonald and faster than Dorsey right?

Did you read my part about how he still manages to keep his frame low?

He is a HIGHLY athletic NT, average athlete for a DE...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1715747-breaking-down-2014-nfl-draft-prospect-daniel-mccullers
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 30, 2014 at 8:21 PM ]
I'd be down with this.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for DeUh.
Sorry for the triple post, haven't been on in awhile and I still need to figure out the copy and pasting of quotes.

Originally posted by DeUh:

I had a hard time with that second pick, I almost decided to put Beckham Jr. in there, then pick up Baptise/McGill later...
But I would rather have Moncrief and Watkins then Baptise/McGill and Beckham

He ran a 4.49 before this season started... He seemed a little out of shape to me as well during his combine.
I'm a huge fan of taking "projects" with 7th round picks (hence the Lyerla pick) and I think if we got his head back on straight he could end up being a dominant corner like his junior year.

Also, I know Coleman is growing on you

huh ? . If you talk about the conversation in the Kelvin Benjamin thread. VP was not serious and I was being sarcastic. Not a fan !

But it´s definitely on
I'm going to disagree with you here.
You realize he is as fast as McDonald and faster than Dorsey right?

Did you read my part about how he still manages to keep his frame low?

He is a HIGHLY athletic NT, average athlete for a DE...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1715747-breaking-down-2014-nfl-draft-prospect-daniel-mccullers

None of that is true. McCullers did not run the 40 at the combine or his pro day - Dorsey ran a 5.12 at his pro day and you're kidding yourself if you think McCullers is faster than that. Dorsey beat him in the vertical by 5 inches and the broad jump by 3 inches. McDonald ran a 4.88 at his pro day - McCullers is nowhere near that fast. If McCullers could run a 5.1, he would've done it because it would only help his stock. Almost any scouting report you look at points out that McCullers doesn't stay low and pops up after the snap. Calling him an average athlete for a DE is a joke.
http://nflmocks.com/2013/11/11/daniel-mccullers-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

This scouting report is about as positive as I've seen for McCullers and it says that McCullers is not a great athlete and can't convert pressures into sacks because he's very slow. If you have evidence of him being able to run a 4.9, I'd love to see it, but it doesn't show up on tape or in the explosion drills (vertical and broad jump).
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Mar 31, 2014 at 6:00 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone