LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Which WR would you select between these two?

Which WR would you select between these two?

The guy who seems like less of a tool. Cooks.
Originally posted by ninerjok:

Originally posted by strickac:
I like Cooks a lot, but it's not close. If Evans falls out of the top10, I think we're going after him. Evans matches up nicely with Seattle's physical style.

Piss off the Rams n trade w NYG.
Mike Evans all day I like cooks but we need a Big Down Field target even with the niners resigning Anquan Boldin where he fits better in the slot. This isn't a great sign that we will resign Michael Crabtree as he hasn't been offered an extension yet and we are looking at a 1st round receiver.
If I had to choose it's Cooks. His speed complements our pair of possession Wr's Crab and Boldin the best.

Realistically I don't see us taking a Wr in the first round. We have more immediate needs in the secondary with Whitner/Brown as free agents and Rogers on the way out. which is why I think we'll take a corner or safety in round one.
Originally posted by SFrush:
If I had to choose it's Cooks. His speed complements our pair of possession Wr's Crab and Boldin the best.

Realistically I don't see us taking a Wr in the first round. We have more immediate needs in the secondary with Whitner/Brown as free agents and Rogers on the way out. which is why I think we'll take a corner or safety in round one.

This. Now with Boldin and Crabs, and Patton has looked promising...Boldin and Crabs catch all of the balls that VD doesn't catch. Add in 30 catches for Patton and 40-50 more for RB and other TE, and that's about it for our passing game. We can take a good one in the second to develop with Patton, and then a flier on a later round guy with promise.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by ninerjok:

No tool. Just a baller.

Originally posted by irishluder:
Evans all day long!!! Cooks is over hyped IMO, and I want to like him, but he's not elusive like his timed speed would indicate.

apparently you didn't watch a lot of him in college. Evans takes plays off too many hince the bowl game vs duke. cooks is tough as nails. he can catch anything too. great fkn hands. his speed shows too.
I like Cooks a lot, but it's not close. If Evans falls out of the top10, I think we're going after him. Evans matches up nicely with Seattle's physical style.

No. Look at the receivers that burned the Hawks this year... TY Hilton was one of them. IF a receiver can get off the line they can blow past their defensive backs. I hate Roman, but even he knows that you need speed against the hawks.
Mike Evans by a country mile. We already have a future slot receiver in Q. Patton.

Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

No. Look at the receivers that burned the Hawks this year... TY Hilton was one of them. IF a receiver can get off the line they can blow past their defensive backs. I hate Roman, but even he knows that you need speed against the hawks.

I've seen the stats, but Evans is a legit #1... and he's physical. He won't get pushed or get stoned at the LOS like most rookies. Evans would abuse Earl and Kam. Given time, A speedy WR is going to find opportunities against that secondary, but those are rare. Seattle doesn't give QBs much time. Evans however, has the size, catch radius, and toughness to get get his hands on any well thrown ball.

I like both guys, but I think Evans will be far more dominant and have an immediate impact
Cooks. I think he would complement our current WR group nicely.

Anyone saying Cooks is over hyped is speaking nonsense. Dude has consistantly been one of, if not the most, underrated WR's in this years draft.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Cooks. I think he would complement our current WR group nicely.

Anyone saying Cooks is over hyped is speaking nonsense. Dude has consistantly been one of, if not the most, underrated WR's in this years draft.

Best statement yet
Of the two? Evans. Not that I'm particularly fond of either of them as 49ers.

The thing I don't like about Cooks is that yeah he has lightening quick speed, but he's more of an underneath and eat up a bunch of yards or WR screen type player. Can be a very god skill-set to have in the right kind of offense but what we need out of a WR the most is the ability to beat teams deep over the top. We need a receiver who is going to scare defenses enough about getting burned that they have to respect the balance of our passing attack and can't just crowd the line of scrimmage.I think Cooks' skill set combined with the offense we run and the skills we need in a WR would be a poor match. His talents would be mostly wasted in our offense imo.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Honestly, I think Evans would be an incredible deep threat for us even though he doesn't have elite speed. You can send him down the field and there are very few CB's in the league who could cover him without help over the top. He made Manziel look really good by just out jumping the defense and coming up with almost every contested ball in college. He'd also be unbelievable in the red zone with his height, arm length, vertical, and ability to high point the ball. Evans will be a better red zone threat than anyone currently on our roster and that can make a difference as we've seen the past 2 seasons.

Cooks is faster, but Evans' jump ball ability makes him almost as big of a downfield threat and a much better red zone threat. He's also a much better blocker which matters in this offense.

If somehow both of these guys were available at 30 or we traded up and got a choice, I would take Evans and pick up a slot receiver and/or returner later. Cooks fills a bigger need (slot receiver), but I wouldn't draft strictly for need in the first round.

Cooks has a better vertical and bench press than Evans and I feel like he'll become a better blocker overtime , And while it would make sense to say that Evans may match-up better vs. Seattle, i've found tht that isn't necessarily true. Cooks(5'10) is very close in size to T.Y Hilton(5'9). When the colts played Seattle, Hilton gashed them for 5 catches on 6 targets for 140yrds and 2TDs. Steve Smith had 6 catches for 51yd and a TD, Chris Givens had 4 catches for 59yrds, Kendall Wright had 5 catches for 69yrds so I mean, its not exactly a size thing.
I feel that at some point, we're gonna have to realize that having a receiver that can get a big gain for a 30-40yrd TD is just as good as having a RZ WR tht can score from 10yrds out. If we never make it to the redzone bcuz we're scoring from so far out on big plays, then I mean, 7 points is 7 points. When our receivers becomes better threats, maybe we wont have such a problem running the ball in the RZ.
It also has to do with the routes being put together too though. I would take Cooks over Evans if we were talking about for the sake of picking a player, but because its clear that the Niners don't know how to utilize quick players(LMJ, KW, Hunter), their strengths would be wasted.
Share 49ersWebzone