There are 267 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers Post-Combine Mock Draft

Round 1-Jason Verrett-CB-TCU-5'9", 189. Verrett has had himself a very good Combine, his size will ultimately drop him down a bit but he's shown he's got the athleticism(4.38 40 and 39" vertical) to go along with his college resume and a reputation as a ball-hawk. He's a guy who plays the ball very well in the air, times his jumps well to deflect passes or intercept them. He's been highly productive during his time at TCU and has 9 INT's and over 40 passes deflected in 3 years at TCU. He's a Fairfield, California kid who went to Santa Rosa JC before coming over to TCU. I think you draft him, make him the slot corner from day one and solidify that weakness in the secondary with Brown and Culliver on the outside.

Round 2-Donte Moncrief-WR-Ole Miss-6'2", 222. The closest thing in this draft to Josh Gordon. Tremendous leaper who attacks the football in the air, good downfield speed and reliable hands that has been productive against some of the best defenses in college football. He's had a very good Combine and the 49ers most likely would have to trade up a little for him but he's a guy with true #1 potential in the NFL. He's also a quality, willing run blocker which never hurts with this team. If the 49ers were truly interested in Josh Gordon earlier in the season, then I'd think they have to be watching Moncrief very closely.

Round 2-Marcus Martin-C-USC-6'3", 310. I like Martin a lot, his upside is tremendous. He's relatively raw so if Kilgore can hold down the center position for a year , Martin could develop into a true upper-echelon NFL center. Particularly talented in pass protection with good athleticism for his size, Martin is someone who can turn in a very dominant player given a year to sit back, watch and learn.

Round 3-Marqueston Huff-FS/CB-Wyoming-5'11", 198. Very fluid athlete who showed well at the Senior Bowl. Moves his hips very well, solid size for the position, is capable of performing at either CB or FS. Excellent depth in the secondary, an outstanding special teams performer and a potential starter at safety down the road.

Round 3-Bruce Ellington-WR-South Carolina-5'9", 197. I might be a little optimistic here but I expect Ellington fall around the mid to late 3rd round range considering the amount of WR's in this draft. He's an outstanding and highly underrated prospect, a perfect slot receiver. He's been a two sport athlete at South Carolina, playing both football and basketball. He tested very well at the Combine showing tremendous athleticism(39.5" vertical) and doing well in the field drills. He's a very fluid looking receiver with good balance, a somewhat limited but talented route-runner, very good hands, snatches the ball right out of the air and possessing the speed and quickness to threaten defenses deep. Utilizes a stutter-step and doubles moves very well to get defensive backs off of him, does especially well on comeback routes. A talented, athletic receiver to develop with the ability to potentially contribute as a returner.

. Small-school prospect that was not given a Combine invite. A fairly raw but highly talented player with terrific size for the position. Looked very good at the Senior Bowl, a rather freakish athlete with very good leaping ability, he drew a lot of praise for his quick feet and agility considering his overall size. He's someone that the 49ers could develop to eventually become a starter on the outside.

Coleman had a very good Combine and a result will likely move up the boards. He has pretty much the ideal build for a 3-4 DE, could also contribute at NT. An ideal run-stopping 3-4 DE type.

. I can see Murray taking a free-fall after his injury and due to his diminutive size for a guy who isn't particularly athletic or elusive. I still like him as a high quality backup QB. He's experienced and has done well against some of the best defenses in the SEC, a guy with the propensity to make clutch plays and a cool-headed, smart leader out on the field. One of the most ready to contribute QB's in this draft.

. Millard is the ultimate swiss-army knife type. He blocks well, runs well with the football and is a tremendous receiver out of the backfield all combined with some terrific athleticism. If there's a guy who can handle the Delanie Walker role out there, Millard would be my choice, his versatility allows you to plug him in at fullback, tight-end or even line him up out wide which Roman seems to love doing with bigger guys. Coming off a major injury, the 49ers could potentially stow him away on the IR for a year, giving him a chance to recover. Beyond be a very good player and athlete, he's a hard worker, a team leader and just a guy with a good head on his shoulders who loves the game of football.

. Uber-athletic super freak. He's just a pure athlete that dominated at the Combine. He ran a 4.41 40, benched for 32 reps, had a 40.5" vertical, a 132 inch broad jump and a 4.12 in the 3 cone shuttle. He played a variety of positions at Georgia Southern including RB, WR, QB and CB. He's been training and working out at safety. This is a guy I could see the 49ers taking for the purpose of developing as a safety. In the meantime I can see him being an outstanding special teams performer.

. Underrated CB prospect that the 49ers have already met with. A developmental prospect that they could potentially stash on the practice squad. Good size and agility for the position, has some character issues, got booted out of UCLA. Based on on-field performance, he's pretty good value here. I would draft him just for this play alone.

Love this mock, solid all the way around. Great job Phoenix!
I can dig it. Is dude from Wyoming Micheal Huff's brother or cousin? I like Ellington nd think he might be around in the 4th with all the wr talent in this years draft.
Love the first 2 picks and the Ellington pick. Don't think we draft a center in the 2nd round though.
Originally posted by Timdiz:
Love the first 2 picks and the Ellington pick. Don't think we draft a center in the 2nd round though.

Not a huge fan of drafting OL early but I feel that Martin could be a special player, he probably should have stayed in school for another year but he's a damn good prospect. If the 49ers had a top-of-the-line center, their OL would truly be amazing.
This draft would work just fine for me.
I'll be surprised if much of this mock has anything to do with reality. I don't see them drafting a 5-9 corner in the first round. I don't see them drafting another possession receiver with their second pick, especially one who is basically the same size and speed as Crabtree. I don't see them using their third pick on a center with Kilgore sitting there. Huff? Okay, I'll buy that. A 5-9 receiver? I don't think so unless it's Brandon Cooks who has Percy Harvin speed and quickness and returns kicks. I can see Aikens because he's got the size they're looking for in a corner and I suppose they'd spend a mid round pick on more depth for the D line with Coleman, but they're already in pretty good shape there so I'm a little skeptical.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Switch the Marqueston Huff pick with Raashad Reynolds and the Deandre Coleman picks with Will Clarke and I´m with you !
Originally posted by crake49:
I'll be surprised if much of this mock has anything to do with reality. I don't see them drafting a 5-9 corner in the first round. I don't see them drafting another possession receiver with their second pick, especially one who is basically the same size and speed as Crabtree. I don't see them using their third pick on a center with Kilgore sitting there. Huff? Okay, I'll buy that. A 5-9 receiver? I don't think so unless it's Brandon Cooks who has Percy Harvin speed and quickness and returns kicks. I can see Aikens because he's got the size they're looking for in a corner and I suppose they'd spend a mid round pick on more depth for the D line with Coleman, but they're already in pretty good shape there so I'm a little skeptical.

Moncrief ran a 4.40 flat, had a 1.50 10yd split, and had a 39.5in vertical at 6'2 226. How is that crabtree-like in any sense?
[ Edited by Timdiz on Feb 25, 2014 at 11:58 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

Trolling in its purest form Wow.
. Carlos Rogers being 6 foot tall didn't really help him all that much as a slot corner this season. Put Verrett in that role and now you have a guy who can cover the fastest/quicker types of receivers out there, a guy who is the epitome of a ballhawk who could easily produce a few more takeaways for this defense.
I hope that Baalke will trade up for a better, taller CB. They may have to trade up for Moncrief. There's no room on the 53 for a dozen guys.
Here comes the height monsters
Share 49ersWebzone