LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

Stephon Tuitt

• Hopper
  • Veteran
If this kid really has Calais Campbell upside that would be tempting.
Originally posted by matt49er:
The emergence of TJE and having Ray Mac for a cpl more years (likely extension/restructure candidate also IMO) plus having Dorsey, Williams & Dobbs.

Ok so we all luv Ray Mac but he'll be 30 soon N I'm but i dont wanna end up like tha cowboyz or steelerz become tha old over payed team so extendin him would be a mistake IMO draftin Tuitt at 30 along with Tank would be so awesome N allow us to bull rush everyone fir yrz to come ...
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Tuitt could end up being the best defensive player from this draft. I'd be so stoked if we got him even if we traded up to get him.

Yea his ceiling might be the highest of any defensive player in the draft, I dont know bout trading up for him but if we did Id be very excited because that would mean we saw somthing in him.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
The emergence of TJE and having Ray Mac for a cpl more years (likely extension/restructure candidate also IMO) plus having Dorsey, Williams & Dobbs.

Ok so we all luv Ray Mac but he'll be 30 soon N I'm but i dont wanna end up like tha cowboyz or steelerz become tha old over payed team so extendin him would be a mistake IMO draftin Tuitt at 30 along with Tank would be so awesome N allow us to bull rush everyone fir yrz to come ...

Ray has 2 years left on his deal, I'm suggesting (as AB has many times) that he could end up with a restructured 3-4 year deal with less of a cap hit to help us out with flexibility to extend some of our young guys.

I agree that DE may become a need in a couple years, with Tank here now IMO we should let him and TJE develop and see if we even need to go get another starter type guy for the future. I really think Tank was a steal, he's a natural pass rusher and a physical freak that I think will have a big impact next season & take JS's place when he retires. I'm just saying why draft Tuitt now and ignore needs like CB, WR & potentially SS if Whitner leaves? We are in win a SB now mode therefore our 1st round draft pick should be a guy who's going to make a big impact now, not a guy who's going to have to compete just to be in the rotation and has zero chance of starting.
Ray has 2 years left on his deal, I'm suggesting (as AB has many times) that he could end up with a restructured 3-4 year deal with less of a cap hit to help us out with flexibility to extend some of our young guys.

I agree that DE may become a need in a couple years, with Tank here now IMO we should let him and TJE develop and see if we even need to go get another starter type guy for the future. I really think Tank was a steal, he's a natural pass rusher and a physical freak that I think will have a big impact next season & take JS's place when he retires. I'm just saying why draft Tuitt now and ignore needs like CB, WR & potentially SS if Whitner leaves? We are in win a SB now mode therefore our 1st round draft pick should be a guy who's going to make a big impact now, not a guy who's going to have to compete just to be in the rotation and has zero chance of starting.

Best player available is usually the safest bet. When it comes to DL, you really can't have enough depth, with the way that Tomsula has gotten the most out of guys like Dobbs and TJE with average or below average skill sets and ability, its pretty frightening to think of what he could do with someone with boundless potential, a guy like Tuitt, Hageman.....etc. So in this case, I would not be upset whatsoever with the addition of more DL depth. If you could have a strong rotation of Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Tank Carradine and Tuitt, that would be a tremendous boost for a Superbowl run. As we saw with Seattle this year and their endless rotation of DE's, you really can't have enough quality DL guys, even in a 3-4 system.

Is it a huge need? No, would it be a nice selection and upgrade to the roster? Absolutely.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Best player available is usually the safest bet. When it comes to DL, you really can't have enough depth, with the way that Tomsula has gotten the most out of guys like Dobbs and TJE with average or below average skill sets and ability, its pretty frightening to think of what he could do with someone with boundless potential, a guy like Tuitt, Hageman.....etc. So in this case, I would not be upset whatsoever with the addition of more DL depth. If you could have a strong rotation of Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Tank Carradine and Tuitt, that would be a tremendous boost for a Superbowl run. As we saw with Seattle this year and their endless rotation of DE's, you really can't have enough quality DL guys, even in a 3-4 system.

Is it a huge need? No, would it be a nice selection and upgrade to the roster? Absolutely.

Exactly. If WR or CB is BPA, of course you take them. But if DE/DT is great value and all-pro type talent, might even trade up to get that.
Originally posted by maxsmart:

Exactly. If WR or CB is BPA, of course you take them. But if DE/DT is great value and all-pro type talent, might even trade up to get that.

Again, in principle I agree with you, but not in this circumstance. By your logic let's say with our first six picks in the first 3 rounds the BPA's go like this: DL, RB, TE, ILB, DL, OT. That's who we should take and have insane amounts of depth at those positions and just leave WR, CB, SS vulnerable?

BPA is a good principle in theory and works a lot of the time, this however is the best overall roster in the NFL, one that is very deep at several positions, DL included, blindly staying put at one's draft slot and just picking BPA regardless of position doesn't make good strategical sense for this franchise at this period in time.

Targeting good players in the first 2 rounds at need positions and doing what it takes to get into a position to draft them is what needs to be done. It's great to draft for depth/for the future, but at some point, you need to load up and win now, this is that time.
Again, in principle I agree with you, but not in this circumstance. By your logic let's say with our first six picks in the first 3 rounds the BPA's go like this: DL, RB, TE, ILB, DL, OT. That's who we should take and have insane amounts of depth at those positions and just leave WR, CB, SS vulnerable?

BPA is a good principle in theory and works a lot of the time, this however is the best overall roster in the NFL, one that is very deep at several positions, DL included, blindly staying put at one's draft slot and just picking BPA regardless of position doesn't make good strategical sense for this franchise at this period in time.

Targeting good players in the first 2 rounds at need positions and doing what it takes to get into a position to draft them is what needs to be done. It's great to draft for depth/for the future, but at some point, you need to load up and win now, this is that time.

From your viewpoint, sure, fans can afford to be more fickle.

From a team standpoint, they could very well look at a top DL as a valuable investment towards the long-term success of the franchise. The reality is that we have no idea what they are going to do, and they'll do whatever they feel is in the best interest of the team, short-term and long-term. If they take a DL like Tuitt early on, I'll be happy with that, you can never go wrong with a high quality DL, especially when this team's biggest needs, WR and CB, are the strength of this draft in the middle rounds.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I agree. Getting Tuitt would mean that Justin Smith hangs them up, we would not have search for his replacement.

Tuitt and Carradine will get a year or two of seasoning behind McDonald and Smith.

Just think

Smith/Tuitt/TJE
McDonald/Carradine/TJE

Williams/Dorsey/Dial

and with Okoye waiting in the wings.
I see bigger needs for us in round one but if they can be answered for us in free agency then yes, I see Tuitt become a viable option in a best player at a future need position.

I have no issue drafting for need as long as they feel confident like they did with Reed. Taking a WR in the 1st always makes me nervous because they almost always seem to need 2-3 years to develop their pro game, unless they are that special talent like Megatron, Julio Jones, etc. Although this is a deep WR group I only see Watkins fitting that mold.

From your viewpoint, sure, fans can afford to be more fickle.

From a team standpoint, they could very well look at a top DL as a valuable investment towards the long-term success of the franchise. The reality is that we have no idea what they are going to do, and they'll do whatever they feel is in the best interest of the team, short-term and long-term. If they take a DL like Tuitt early on, I'll be happy with that, you can never go wrong with a high quality DL, especially when this team's biggest needs, WR and CB, are the strength of this draft in the middle rounds.

I will say this, if and IMO this is a big if, the team is confident they can and end up getting a WR and at least one CB later on in the draft (and probably a SS also if Whitner leaves) that can come in and contribute immediately then a DL with special talent like Tuitt would be fine with me.

I would just be nervous that in a very likely scenario that we end up losing Brown/Whitner to FA and we cut Rogers going into the draft and not addressing those needs very early in the draft. I just see it as far more likely scenario that the team identifies players at need positions and does what it takes in the first 2 rounds of the draft to move up and get those players considering the # of draft picks we have and the low # of roster spots we will have open.

Overall though, I agree on the you can't have too many quality DL position you are taking here, that along with the you can't go wrong drafting BPA, those are solid, winning philosophies that great organizations often live by. I won't be pissed off if we end up drafting Tuitt in the 1st round, I'll just be upset if we do that and don't end up addressing true roster needs.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Tuitt could end up being the best defensive player from this draft. I'd be so stoked if we got him even if we traded up to get him.

In the webzone collaborative mock draft...I just did this. Traded up to get Tuitt

He is by far my favorite player on DL in the draft. I think of him as Aldon Smith of 3-4 DE. He has that uncanny twitch to get to his man at the last second when you think he's out of position. He was so amazing in 2012 - I still can't forget some of the games he just dominated. Towards the end in 2013 - he started to get there. He does need to play around 310lbs instead of 320 but even at 320 he was moving well towards the end of the season.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/177090-abs-annual-collaborative-mock-draft-picks-thread-otcmrmcgibblets/page6/
The fact that a position is deep in your teams particular need, can bode well, as others rush for players in positions not so deep and possibly sending som players sliding down the draft board. For teams like the niners who have ammo, they can move and back at will. The comp pick in the third round allows the niners to package deals to get an impact player should slide.

Of course, we all know Baalke may trade one orf two of those picks for higher picks next year also. All depends on next years prospects and who is resigned.
Stephon Tuitt not cleared to perform at the combine:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap2000000328559/article/notre-dames-stephon-tuitt-not-cleared-for-combine

Wow! If the Tuitt falls in the draft and the Niners could steal him in the 2nd round as a red shirt like they did Tank last year, I will kiss Trent Baalke on the mouth.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Feb 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM ]
By the way in case you didn't realize this:

Stephon Tuitt is almost 3 years younger than Ra'shede Hageman.

For some reason I can't find a DOB on Dominique Easley or a couple of his Gaytor pals. But Easley is a favorite of mine too.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Feb 23, 2014 at 10:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone