LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 160 users in the forums

Stephon Tuitt

A man beast at 6"6 1/2 inches tall and 322 Lb's

Junior Notre Dame
Had 12 sacks and 42 tackles in 2012
Projected: Late 1st-2nd

STRENGTHS: Tantalizing upside. Highly athletic frame despite massive size. Impressive combination of length, power and surprising quickness. Scheme versatility for the 3-4 and 4-3, possessing the size of most interior linemen while maintaining the quickness to provide a rush off the edge.

WEAKNESSES: Arrived to 2013 fall came out of shape following hernia surgery and struggled to dominate as he had as a sophomore. Lack of consistency was a concern as a junior. --Rob Rang
Great prospect. Would love to see him in a 49er uniform. Depends on the 49ers priorities. We have needs at CB,SS,WR, C or G but we could go after those positions with our 2 2nd rd picks and our 2 3rd round picks plus our comp pick (3rd or 4th rd) and 4th rounder. Could be.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Great prospect. Would love to see him in a 49er uniform. Depends on the 49ers priorities. We have needs at CB,SS,WR, C or G but we could go after those positions with our 2 2nd rd picks and our 2 3rd round picks plus our comp pick (3rd or 4th rd) and 4th rounder. Could be.

That comp pick is a 3rd rounder for sure. Dashon's contract was pretty massive.
If Tuitt is there at 30 I think itz a no brainer pick ..tha cowboy aint gettin any younger N Ray Mac will be lookin for bigg money soon enough ...I wanna bull rush tha f*ck outta tha NFL N tha seacheatz ...plus WR N CB are so deep we can still get a great WRz N CBz at 56 N 61 ....
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
if tuitt makes it to pick #20 or later, gotta try to get there and get him. he has a legit shot at manning cowboy's spot soon. tank isn't going to play the run like tuitt will; we need a more stout guy there.
Originally posted by xcfan:
if tuitt makes it to pick #20 or later, gotta try to get there and get him. he has a legit shot at manning cowboy's spot soon. tank isn't going to play the run like tuitt will; we need a more stout guy there.

How do you know this about a Tank? We haven't seen him play a down as a 3-4 DE.
Depending on how free agency unfolds, Tuitt is someone who I wouldn't mind taking in the 1st. He has unique speed and wiggle off of the edge for his size. Tomsula would be able to get the best out of him in regards to the questions about his work ethic.
Originally posted by RumorHasIt:
Depending on how free agency unfolds, Tuitt is someone who I wouldn't mind taking in the 1st. He has unique speed and wiggle off of the edge for his size. Tomsula would be able to get the best out of him in regards to the questions about his work ethic.

Agree. I believe Tomsula will have a great time working with this kid on the 49ers!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
How do you know this about a Tank? We haven't seen him play a down as a 3-4 DE.

Powerful psychic powers???
Baalke could take BPA in the 1st rd...I've seen several DL's names...Hageman, who's also a beast and a guy Tomsula could light a fire under. Also Kony Ealy, who's not as big as either Tuitt or Hageman, but nonetheless a powerful DE. I'd have no problem getting a guy like that early.

Tuitt could end up being the best defensive player from this draft. I'd be so stoked if we got him even if we traded up to get him.
Like everyone, I love Tuitt, he fits our system but DL is not an immediate need, in this draft/FA we need to fill our immediate needs and go out and try and win a SB. Not draft guys who will be a rotation player for a couple years b4 ever getting a chance to be a starter.

We have talent on the DL, I think ppl see that Justin is getting older and assume we have to go get his replacement now, I think we already did by drafting Tank last year. The emergence of TJE and having Ray Mac for a cpl more years (likely extension/restructure candidate also IMO) plus having Dorsey, Williams & Dobbs at NT who can all play DE just makes that position such a strength adding someone at that position early doesn't make any sense IMO.

Now if he somehow dropped to us in the 2nd round, I'd take him w/o thinking about it, but that won't happen so no.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Baalke could take BPA in the 1st rd...

Definitely it's best to take the BPA = find the best value (a likely 'all-star' player) at a number of different positions (esp. WR, CB, S, DE/DT). Since DE/DT is the most valuable (see JJ Watt, Justin Smith, etc) and the hardest of these positions to find an 'all-star'; if a great one is available they should pull the trigger on DE/DT. Of course if BPA is WR, CB, or S then you do that.
Originally posted by matt49er:
. . . but DL is not an immediate need, in this draft/FA we need to fill our immediate needs and go out and try and win a SB. Not draft guys who will be a rotation player for a couple years b4 ever getting a chance to be a starter. . . We have talent on the DL . .

Drafting for need is how they ended up with AJ Jenkins.
If the scouts say the guy with the highest upside and 'all-pro' potential is a good value pick DE/DT, then you pick him. Great 3 down DE/DT are very hard to find and so valuable (JJ Watt, Justin Smith, etc). Then the D coordinator needs to figure out how to use the excess talent.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by matt49er:
. . . but DL is not an immediate need, in this draft/FA we need to fill our immediate needs and go out and try and win a SB. Not draft guys who will be a rotation player for a couple years b4 ever getting a chance to be a starter. . . We have talent on the DL . .

Drafting for need is how they ended up with AJ Jenkins.
If the scouts say the guy with the highest upside and 'all-pro' potential is a good value pick DE/DT, then you pick him. Great 3 down DE/DT are very hard to find and so valuable (JJ Watt, Justin Smith, etc). Then the D coordinator needs to figure out how to use the excess talent.

I agree in principle with what you're saying here max. Reaching for need is one thing, this draft is deep at 2 of our need positions (CB, WR) so I don't think we end up with an AJ Jenkins guy this year, I think Baalke learned his lesson in that respect. I expect the team to have a couple guys targeted at need positions and based on how the draft falls I'd be very surprised if we don't trade up and get our guy with all the ammo (# of picks) we have. With the depth in this years draft I'd be shocked if we don't end up with at least one CB & WR that can make an instant impact and help immediately.
Share 49ersWebzone