LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 152 users in the forums

Revised Perfect Draft with Anquan Boldin!

Resign/FA Additions: Anquan Boldin WR 2 year $10 million contract, Michael Whilhoite ILB, Kassim Osgood WR, Perish Cox CB, Phil Dawson K 1-2 years $2.5 million a year, Vince Young QB.

Cut/FA Departures: Carlos Rodgers CB, Donte Whitner SS, Mario Manningham WR, Jonathon Goodwin C, Jon Baldwin WR, Tarell Brown CB, Anthony Dixon RB, Colt McCoy QB, Adam Snyder OG, Demarcus Dobbs DT, Eric Wright CB.

Trade: 49ers trade their 1st and 3rd round picks to Miami for the 19th pick overall.

1(19). Darqueze Dennard CB 5-11 197. Because Dennard isn't very fast and doesn't have great size I could see the combine hurting his stock, letting the 49ers trade up to grab him. He was voted the best CB in college for a reason. He would be an impact starter from day 1. He is very versatile in that he is great in man to man coverage, zone, and press coverage. Michigan State would just leave him on an island and shut down receiver after receiver.

2(55). Jarvis Landry 6-1 195. Landry is almost a carbon copy of Boldin. He can be the #4 receiver and learn from Boldin ultimately taking over for him in two years. Landry has a solidly-built frame with above average toughness and body strength. Good build-up speed with smooth quickness and body control. Strong cuts and controlled momentum down the field - very good catch-and-go receiver. Good depth and lean in his routes and won't slow down in his breaks - good patience and plays off defenders to create some room to work. Very strong hands capable of catching Kaep's fastballs.

2(62). Jimmie Ward SS 5-11 191. Ward was a 1st team All-American this year as he dominated from his safety spot. He is a lot like Earl Thomas in that he is a great cover safety that is capable of covering receivers in the NFL. Ward was a former corner turned safety. He is a bit undersized but he has great instincts and takes good angles when in run support. Lastly he has great ball skills. Look at this interception against Toledo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voAADRvTobk

3(94). Will Sutton DT 6-1 315. Sutton had a monster 2012 at ASU but there were question marks about his size (was 267lbs in 2012). He bulked up putting on a lot of weight (50lbs) for this past season and was a total disappointment. But if he slims down a bit he could be a steal. He has a short, compact build that gives him a natural leverage advantage over most NFL offensive linemen. Times the snap well, flashing an explosive burst to slip through gaps. Possesses quick feet, balance and lateral agility to avoid cut-blocks. Accelerates very quickly to close on the ball carrier. Possesses surprisingly strong and active hands to rip free from blocks and to rip away at the ball when he sees it exposed.

3(comp). Brian Stork 6-4 312. Stork is tenacious and technically-sound center whose awareness and reliability made him an underrated factor in Jameis Winston's Heisman campaign. Very good initial quickness, whether snapping the ball out of shotgun or the traditional exchange and turning to seal off defenders or releasing to block downfield. Shoots his hands into the chest plate of defenders and plays with his knees bent and butt down, maximizing his leverage. He can compete with Kilgore at starting center and provide depth at center and guard.

4(126). Lamin Barrow ILB 6-1 232. Barrow's is an incredible athlete. However he does need to work on his technique. With some coaching Barrow can provide great depth at ILB, something we will most likely need as bowman probably wont return until midway through the season.

5(158). Xavier Grimble TE 6-5 250. Big receiving TE that can provide Kaepernick a big target in the red zone. He is not much of a blocker but a great receiver.

6(190). Aaron Colvin CB 6-0 192. Colvin is a physical corner with a tough-minded approach against the run and in coverage. He was the best corner at the senior bowl until he tore his ACL. A day 2 talent can now fall into the 49ers hands in round 6. The 49ers can redshirt him and bring him in to compete in 2015.

7(218). Spencer Long OG 6-4 315. Long is a very intelligent and experienced colligate player. He is very athletic as he pulls a lot for Nebraska's offense. He also has the size and strength to succeed in the NFL. He is another IR stash after tearing his ACL this season.

7(219). Trey Millard FB/TE/WR 6-2 253. Millard is a very athletic and talented fullback. He has the athleticism and skills after the catch to be used in an H-Back role in the NFL. He's also a strong runner who knows how to get behind his pads and could serve as a goal line back. He was a projected 5th round pick but after tearing his ACL he isn't expected to get drafted. He could fulfill an Anthony Dixon/Delanie Walker type of role. He could be an IR stash for 2014.

7(220). Nickoe Whitley FS 6-0 205. Whitley is one of best playmakers at the safety position in the country with great ball skills. He is a massive impact hitter that is excellent in run support. He takes good angles to the ball also. Coming off ACL injury he will he an IR stash and then replace Dahl as a backup and special teams player.

7(222). Trade for 2015 7th round pick.

53 Man Roster/Depth Chart:
QB: Kaepernick, Young, Bethel-Thompson
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Lattimore
FB: Miller
WR: Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Landry, Osgood
TE: Davis, McDonald, Grimble
OT: Staley, Davis, Bykowski
OG: Iupati, Boone, Looney
C: Kilgore, Stork
DT: J. Smith, McDonald, Carradine, Sutton, TJE
NT: Dorsey, Williams, Dial
OLB: A. Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Skuta
ILB: Willis, Whilhoite, Barrow, Moody
CB: Brock, Dennard, Culliver, Cox, Morris
FS: Reid, Dahl, Ventrone
SS: Ward, Spillman
ST: Lee, McDermott, Dawson

IR/PUP List: Navorro Bowman ILB, Aaron Colvin CB, Trey Millard FB/TE, Spencer Long OG, Nickoe Whitley FS
Why sign Vince Young? Packers didn't even want him after they signed him for training camp, and went with Seneca Wallace and Tolzien instead. I'd rather keep McCoy than have Vince.
Would be awesome
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Why sign Vince Young? Packers didn't even want him after they signed him for training camp, and went with Seneca Wallace and Tolzien instead. I'd rather keep McCoy than have Vince.

Vince is a very capable back up. The reason Green Bay didn't keep him is because they didn't give him enough time. They brought him in like a week before the season started. Vince has proven he can win games so I don't know why teams don't give him a chance. He could win games for the 49ers if Kaepernick went down with an injury.
Wow, well done I really like that minus Vince Young and Snyder being cut. Young don't want any part of and Snyder has played well this year, much better than he ever did in his previous stint with us. Sutton we could get into shape and Tomsula could get the most out of him if Sutton is at all motivated. Big fan of Dennard and Landry. Just started looking into Ward and he looks more like a FS which is fine but I'd probably have him bulk up and get stronger. Get him up to 200 from 191.
Just a minor gripe but I would expect Lattimore to quickly climb the RB depth chart to #2 over Hunter and James although as of now that would be correct. Also, not sure if Bowman will go on PUP we will see but maybe we can afford to rest him for 6 games. Depends on who we play although that probably won't factor into our decision too much.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 26, 2014 at 8:33 PM ]
Originally posted by sLarsen7:

Vince is a very capable back up. The reason Green Bay didn't keep him is because they didn't give him enough time. They brought him in like a week before the season started. Vince has proven he can win games so I don't know why teams don't give him a chance. He could win games for the 49ers if Kaepernick went down with an injury.
The reason he hasn't landed anywhere is he's a headcase who's bankrupt, still has poor mechanics, throws more INTs than TDs, his only positive was his running ability. I'd rather develop a 5th round kid like Brett Smith or David Fales type kid. Forget entitled headcase.

The reason he hasn't landed anywhere is he's a headcase who's bankrupt, still has poor mechanics, throws more INTs than TDs, his only positive was his running ability. I'd rather develop a 5th round kid like Brett Smith or David Fales type kid. Forget entitled headcase.

That 5th round pick you want to develop isn't as good as Young though. Colt McCoy would be better than a 5th round pick.

That 5th round pick you want to develop isn't as good as Young though. Colt McCoy would be better than a 5th round pick.
I'd be fine with McCoy as our #2 while we develop a late rounder as a backup. This is a pretty good draft to find some depth in. We have plenty of picks to use. Rather use it on a kid with potential than on a retread QB that didn't pan out in Tenn, Philly, Buffalo, or GB.
Young would come in and pronounce this the 'Dream Team' thinking hes actually gonna play like the 2012 Eagles.. no like.

Vince Young! If they 49ers wanted him, they would've signed him last off season and saved the 6th rounder in the trade for Colt McCoy.

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Wow, well done I really like that minus Vince Young and Snyder being cut. Young don't want any part of and Snyder has played well this year, much better than he ever did in his previous stint with us. Sutton we could get into shape and Tomsula could get the most out of him if Sutton is at all motivated. Big fan of Dennard and Landry. Just started looking into Ward and he looks more like a FS which is fine but I'd probably have him bulk up and get stronger. Get him up to 200 from 191.
Just a minor gripe but I would expect Lattimore to quickly climb the RB depth chart to #2 over Hunter and James although as of now that would be correct. Also, not sure if Bowman will go on PUP we will see but maybe we can afford to rest him for 6 games. Depends on who we play although that probably won't factor into our decision too much.

Best bet is that bowman will go on PUP. He showed what he could do this year and there is no reason to rush him back onto the field. We dont want him to get injured even worse. We need to let his knee fully recover before he even starts practicing. He will be like this years michael crabtree.
Personally, I still like Aaron Murray going to the 49ers and being placed on the IR/NFI

When redshirt freshman Aaron Murray earned a spot in the Georgia record books with 3,049 passing yards and a sterling 24 TDs against just eight interceptions in his first season as the starter, some chalked up his success to the fact that he had A.J. Green catching many of his passes.

With Green dazzling the NFL as a rookie for the Cincinnati Bengals this past season, however, Murray took on even more of the responsibility for the Bulldogs' offense and he responded with another record-breaking campaign, shattering the school mark for most passing touchdowns (35) and earning the respect of conference coaches (voted Second Team All-SEC).

STRENGTHS: As one might expect given his playing time, Murray does many of the little things well. He has a quick set-up and delivery. He throws a tight spiral and is creative in the pocket, showing the ability to slide and re-set, as well as deliver passes from a variety of arm slots. He throws deep passes with velocity and good trajectory and can attack down the seam with excellent touch, as well. He's starred in a pro-style offense for three seasons against elite competition.

WEAKNESSES: While there are plenty of positives to note when discussing Murray, one obvious concern is his lack of preferred size. The success of Drew Brees (and Russell Wilson last year) proves that shorter quarterbacks can be successful in the NFL, though extraordinary awareness is required to prove the exception to the rule. Murray, frankly, hasn't yet shown this level of savvy. Too often, his passes are batted down at the line of scrimmage - or sneak through only to be dropped by pass-catchers who aren't able to see the ball come out of Murray's hand before it gets to them.

COMPARES TO: Matt Barkley, Quarterback, Philadelphia Eagles - Like Barkley, Murray exhibits good feet and impressive touch from the pocket, but has been an inconsistent decision-maker and will need to show improved awareness in order to be considered an elite prospect at the position.

--ROB RANG
Nice mock. Not the biggest VY fan, but I can live with it. Love the draft. Dennard is my top CB. So to get him and only give up a 3rd would be awesome, similar to Eric Reid trade.
I'm a fan of the mock overall, but as an ASU alum, I can tell you that I don't think Sutton fits this defense. He is a very very good player, but I don't think he would fit the mold of what our DL is built to do. I see him as someone that would work well in a 4-3 alongside someone like JJ Watt or with the Giants next to Justin Tuck. In our defense, I think he would be engulfed.
My latest mock: I have QB Logan Thomas being converted to a TE, also updated my injury draftees.

#2a S LaMarcus Joyner (trade down a bit for 2015 3rd rounder)

#2b CB Pierre Desir

#2c WR Martavis Bryant

#3a C Weston Richburg

#3b WR Donte Moncreif

#3c ILB Yawin Smallwood

#4a Inj. QB Aaron Murray (trade down a bit for a 2015 7th rounder)

#5 Inj. CB Aaron Colvin (trade down a bit for a 2015 7th rounder)

#6 TE Logan Thomas (trade down a bit for a 2014 7th rounder)

#7a WR Geremy Gallon or Dri Archer

#7b Inj. OG Spencer Long

#7c Inj. FB Trey Millard

#7d Inj. S Nickoe Whitley (obtained in a trade down)

2013 Redshirts/Injured: NT: Ian Williams, DT: Dominique Dial, DE: Tank Carridine, DE: Lawrence Okoye, OT: Marquardt, RB: Marcus Lattimore

*No D lineman, OT, or RB needed in 2014 draft due to redshirt/Injured players returning in 2014

UDRFA/ Undrafted Rookie Free Agents:
QB: Connor Shaw
QB: Denarius McGhee
DT: Chris Whaley (INJURED)
Share 49ersWebzone