There are 260 users in the forums

Trade up and get Sammy Watkins??

Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Ok,to all those who say no to the trade up scenerio and say ATL got the shaft in that trade,im curious about a few things.....

Did Atl have the number of multiple picks that we have this year??On top of the Comp picks we stand to get also??
To me,it stands to reason that if we end up getting rid of some picks in trade up/down scenarios,and if some of the guys wont even play,why not make an agressive move up??

Im against strapping the team for the future,but what about some of the back ups we have now,do we need to draft more??

Lets say Crab,Boldin,Lupati(lol),others dont re-up,thats money off the books to sign a higher pick right??Crab or Boldin leaves,we have Sammy.

I guess I just feel we might have more wiggle room to make an aggressive move up than what some might feel we do.I may be less informed than others,can someone shed some light??

Also, keep in mind that Atlanta traded up from 22, not 30, the difference between those two spots is another 3rd rounder, in addition with the talent in this draft, you'll see teams demanding higher compensation for premium spots in the Top 10.

49ers have needs at CB, S, and several other spots on the team, trading that much for a single guy doesn't really make a lot of sense.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 23, 2014 at 1:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
agreed with Phoenix and John.

So many receivers in this draft that we can wait to select one in the 2nd. Unless Watkins slides to the mid-late teens, the only players i'm willing to trade up for are Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard.

Not going to lie, if for whatever reason the 49ers traded up for someone like Hageman, I would not be irate. He's got insane beast potential, is just raw and needs to be coached up, 49ers have Tomsula, its like a perfect match. I know there are those who argue that DL isn't a need and they make a point, I just wouldn't at all be mad about it. He's 6'6" and 320 with room to grow further. Absolute freak that is rather underrated and can play DE or NT in a 3-4 system.

you aren't the first person that's mentioned Hageman as a potential target for the niners. i've never seen him play, but i hear a lot of good things about it. i just wonder why Louis Nix seems to be rated higher even if he was injured.
you aren't the first person that's mentioned Hageman as a potential target for the niners. i've never seen him play, but i hear a lot of good things about it. i just wonder why Louis Nix seems to be rated higher even if he was injured.

Hageman is a lot more raw, has some weaknesses in his game, not completely disciplined, loses focus at times, he really needs some quality coaching to reach his full potential. If Tomsula can help guys like TJE become better than passable role players, I can't even begin to imagine what he could do with a monster like Hageman.

Originally posted by 49ers808:
Depends on the price for me, this draft is loaded with WRs. I wouldn't give up what the Falcons did. Our first and both seconds at most for me

yea because we been able to find gems in the late round for WRs right? if we draft a WR i hope it is a top pick because we suck at evaluating second tier WR, only good WR we drafted was crabtree and he was a top 10 pick.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
yea because we been able to find gems in the late round for WRs right? if we draft a WR i hope it is a top pick because we suck at evaluating second tier WR, only good WR we drafted was crabtree and he was a top 10 pick.

This logic is all faulty....how many WR's have the 49ers actually drafted in total? Jenkins was a bad pick, oh well, too bad, so sad, it happens to every team, beyond that, how many WR's have they actually drafted? Patton was definitely worth the 4th rounder, I think he can be a very good player. Beyond that? Ronald Johnson in the 6th round? A round where most of the guys end up out of the league within a year?

Where are all these masses of WR's that the 49ers have wrongly drafted? The sample size is way too small to claim that they suck at evaluating receivers. Jenkins was a bad pick but everyone has those, Ozzie Newsome has had entire awful drafts. Their entire 2004 draft was largely one big bust. 2005, same deal. 2006? There was Ngata in the first round and then nada. 2008, Flacco and Rice and then a bunch of trash. They blew picks on every position. Its unavoidable.

They've drafted receivers in 9 of the past 10 drafts and the only guy they really hit on was Torrey Smith. Its the reality of the NFL, even the best talent evaluators are wrong more often than they are right.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 23, 2014 at 1:34 PM ]

Hageman is a lot more raw, has some weaknesses in his game, not completely disciplined, loses focus at times, he really needs some quality coaching to reach his full potential. If Tomsula can help guys like TJE become better than passable role players, I can't even begin to imagine what he could do with a monster like Hageman.

hate to hijack this thread, but last post on Hageman. just watched a few videos of him on the field. MY GOODNESS, he's athletic!! his point of attack, although a strong punch in college, will need developing in the pros, especially since his height takes away his leverage. i wonder if he could be more stout in a 3-4.
hate to hijack this thread, but last post on Hageman. just watched a few videos of him on the field. MY GOODNESS, he's athletic!! his point of attack, although a strong punch in college, will need developing in the pros, especially since his height takes away his leverage. i wonder if he could be more stout in a 3-4.

Like I said, I would not be mad in the slightest if they took him. Imagining a DL with Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Tank Carradine and Hageman................ Just a monster wrecking crew, regardless of who subs in they would terrorize the other team.

Like I said, I would not be mad in the slightest if they took him. Imagining a DL with Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Tank Carradine and Hageman................ Just a monster wrecking crew, regardless of who subs in they would terrorize the other team.

yea, i think you just helped me jump on the bandwagon.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If the Rams have any sense, Watkins will go #2 overall. Chris Givens on one side, Watkins on the other and Tavon Austin in the slot....forget about it. Love the potential of Clowney, but the Rams are already top 3 in sacks with Quinn and Long.

If the Rams have any sense they will trade out of the #2 spot, pick up more picks, and either take Mathews or Watkins at 4 or 5. I could see Cleveland , Oakland, or Minnesota wanting to move into that spot to get their QB of the future.

Thats what I been fearing of happening.

If the Rams play this draft right, I could see them becoming what Dallas became in the early 90s following their trade with Minnesota - a dominant team for 3-5 years, until they actually have to re-sign their players.
We don't need to give up the farm for Watkins. We can simply give our 1st round pick to Cleveland for Gordon. And get a corner in the 2nd.

Originally posted by midrdan:
If the Rams play this draft right, I could see them becoming what Dallas became in the early 90s following their trade with Minnesota - a dominant team for 3-5 years, until they actually have to re-sign their players.

They're already up against it salary cap wise. If they could find a high quality, inexpensive QB and some other guys, then maybe but they have some hugely pricy players including Cortland Finnegan, Chris Long, Jared Cook, James Laurinitis, Jake Long, a lot of them with significant dead money hits if they are cut anytime before the end of the 2015 season.
Originally posted by Harkonnenzombie:
We don't need to give up the farm for Watkins. We can simply give our 1st round pick to Cleveland for Gordon. And get a corner in the 2nd.

Yeah, that easy.
yea, i think you just helped me jump on the bandwagon.

Gonna go make a thread, unless I already did, I forget.
Originally posted by Harkonnenzombie:

Yeah, that easy.

Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If the Rams have any sense, Watkins will go #2 overall. Chris Givens on one side, Watkins on the other and Tavon Austin in the slot....forget about it. Love the potential of Clowney, but the Rams are already top 3 in sacks with Quinn and Long.

If the Rams have any sense they will trade out of the #2 spot, pick up more picks, and either take Mathews or Watkins at 4 or 5. I could see Cleveland , Oakland, or Minnesota wanting to move into that spot to get their QB of the future.

Thats what I been fearing of happening.

Maybe it's just me, but I think they'd be smarter to use their picks and not keep trading back...unless they can get stuff for next year of course. Their roster is stacked already so accumulating more picks this year doesn't help them all that much, compared to drafting higher quality players.
Share 49ersWebzone