LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Trade up and get Sammy Watkins??

I know we have drafted for the future is it now time to trade up and get a playmaker ala falcons did with Julio jones . Defense is not getting any younger if we bring everyone back I think the time is now to go after this kind of game changer. Are offense is in need of a outside threat I think it would allow us to do more offensively. Just a thought since receiver and are offense seem to be the major problem areas going into the offseason .
Depends on the price for me, this draft is loaded with WRs. I wouldn't give up what the Falcons did. Our first and both seconds at most for me
no. i dont see them wasting possibly 3 starters on offense and defense for 1 sammy watkins, hes awesome but unless he falls to near 15 i dont see us moving up.
It took ATL a 1st, 2nd, 4th, and a 2012 4th to move up to #7 to get Julio Jones. Watkins possess the same type of talent Julio does. We may have to give up more so who knows.
It simply wont happen because it would cost WAY too much to get up to a top 7 draft spot. Forget it.
"Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks this year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012."
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/falcons-trade-up-for-julio-jones-in-draft-shocker-with-browns

The Falcons mortgaged their future and crippled their team by giving up all those picks. I rather have them stay put or move only a few spots but not top 10. I would be happy if 49ers went with any of these WRs: Lee, Robinson, Matthews, Landry, Adams, or Beckham.
[ Edited by sacleads on Jan 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM ]
Originally posted by sacleads:
The Falcons mortgaged their future and crippled their team by giving up all those picks.

"Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks this year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/falcons-trade-up-for-julio-jones-in-draft-shocker-with-browns

Atlanta lost that trade. Regardless of what people say about Jones, one WR doesn't overrule that they could have ended up with a quality starting WR and 2-3 defensive starters had they just kept those picks instead and drafted well. Atlanta now has holes all over their defense, lacking in pass rush when they could have taken Cam Jordan and Whitney Mercilus, AND now they have to negotiate a monster extension with Jones when Roddy White already has a huge deal and Matt Ryan has a $100+ million contract.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
It simply wont happen because it would cost WAY too much to get up to a top 7 draft spot. Forget it.

Yes, it won't happen and it shouldn't happen. Ridiculous price.
I'm all for trading picks this draft, but I draw the line at trading next year's picks. What could we get for a 1st, 2nd, and 2 3rds? That would still leave us with one pick in each of the first three rounds.
He will go in the top 10 we might have a lot of holes to fill depending on what players we lose to move up in the top 10 would be to costly we are going to need those picks like last year to replace players we no longer have. I do see them trading down to the middle of the draft like last year for Reid to get a player they really want who wont be there until the 30th pick.

Originally posted by sspiker:
I'm all for trading picks this draft, but I draw the line at trading next year's picks. What could we get for a 1st, 2nd, and 2 3rds? That would still leave us with one pick in each of the first three rounds.

1st - Vernon Davis or Eric Reid or Aldon Smith
2nd - Kaepernick
3rds (x2) - Frank Gore and Navarro Bowman

You would give up the potential of landing players like these for 1 Sammy Watkins? and for the records, the Falcons got SHAFTED with that trade.. it set them back at least 2-3 years
We need to keep drafts picks to get talent that will replace unsignable free agents.. no matter how faithful they are. I'm not interested in being at the top for just a few years.. if we want a dynasty we have to keep drafting. The only untouchable on this team in Harbaugh
If the Rams have any sense, Watkins will go #2 overall. Chris Givens on one side, Watkins on the other and Tavon Austin in the slot....forget about it. Love the potential of Clowney, but the Rams are already top 3 in sacks with Quinn and Long.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If the Rams have any sense, Watkins will go #2 overall. Chris Givens on one side, Watkins on the other and Tavon Austin in the slot....forget about it. Love the potential of Clowney, but the Rams are already top 3 in sacks with Quinn and Long.

If the Rams have any sense they will trade out of the #2 spot, pick up more picks, and either take Mathews or Watkins at 4 or 5. I could see Cleveland , Oakland, or Minnesota wanting to move into that spot to get their QB of the future.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

If the Rams have any sense they will trade out of the #2 spot, pick up more picks, and either take Mathews or Watkins at 4 or 5. I could see Cleveland , Oakland, or Minnesota wanting to move into that spot to get their QB of the future.

Thats what I been fearing of happening.
Share 49ersWebzone