There are 263 users in the forums

2014 NFL Combine

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
i'm officially on the Verrett bandwagon. don't give a crap that he's on the smaller side. dude is an absolute player.

It would make a ton on sense to draft him. Seattle's WRs aren't exactly huge.

I tend to think we should draft him, but I do not think we draft a cornerback based on the size of Seattle's receivers.

We play 16 games in a season. We play Seattle only twice.

True, but it usually comes down to them/us (and they have the edge so far) so we do have to draft with them in mind. To ignore that dynamic isn't smart, IMO.

But then we might end up in the predicament we found ourselves in back when Atlanta was in our division.
We drafted to beat mike Vick. Atlanta left the division and we where screwed against the physical teams we were paired with

How likely is it that Seattle will be leaving the NFC west? And it doesn't mean you structure your entire team to match up with just one competitor, but you have to begin thinking about matchups....what talent can we add that matches up better here or there? That's primarily what I'm referring to.

I'd be happy with Verrett, but I would still take Joyner over him.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Bradley Roby with a 32" vertical............how does that make any sense at all?

I would stay away from this guy and not because of the vertical. Too many red flags based on this past season.

I totally get that, but if I had to guess, he allowed himself to think too much about getting drafted and forgot to prepare properly for his junior season. But if you look back at his soph season, he was an absolute beast and projected to be one of the top prospects in the entire draft, much less corners.

So yes, that's a definite flag, but someone is going to get a great CB in the 2nd.
You draft him to take over the role that Rogers has had, as the nickel cornerback. On the outside you have Culliver who is 6 feet and Brock, who while 5'10", is very physical and tough.

I meant that if either of them gets injured (or Cully doesn't re-sign next year), moving Verrett to boundary wouldn't be too pretty
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
I meant that if either of them gets injured (or Cully doesn't re-sign next year), moving Verrett to boundary wouldn't be too pretty

That's why since the draft is loaded with cornerbacks, I could see them taking another one in the middle rounds, someone they could develop as a potential starter on the outside. That said, I think Verrett could hang on the outside with most receivers, how many truly BIG receivers do you run into normally?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM ]
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:

That's why since the draft is loaded with cornerbacks, I could see them taking another one in the middle rounds, someone they could develop as a potential starter on the outside. That said, I think Verrett could hang on the outside with most receivers, how many truly BIG receivers do you run into normally?

Brock and Verner from Tennessee both had good years, both play on the outside and both are 5' 9".
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Brock and Verner from Tennessee both had good years, both play on the outside and both are 5' 9".

They are both 5'10", but close enough and I support the point you are making. Antoine Winfield went 5'9" and 180 and had a terrific career, very good cornerback, very good against the run as well, his height and size certainly didn't limit him.

They are both 5'10", but close enough and I support the point you are making. Antoine Winfield went 5'9" and 180 and had a terrific career, very good cornerback, very good against the run as well, his height and size certainly didn't limit him.

We don't play too many 6'5+ recievers but, it is difficult for most normal size corners to keep up with the elite receivers regardless (Fitzgerald, Dez, Marshall, Demaryius). So I guess I am just over worrying. I just want us to have the best possible picks lol. I hope that Verrett can have a career like Winfield if we do draft him.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Feb 25, 2014 at 1:15 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Well, yes and no. He's still starting from 6 inches lower, so his 39 inches is still 6 inches lower than McGill's 39 inches. Not making a judgement on who's better or the better fit, just doing the math.
what?!?! Da fuq you talking about?

The individual players reach is measured before the jump. My statement was a little misleading as i thought everyone knew how the vertical is done.
Bradley Roby with a 32" vertical............how does that make any sense at all?

It doesn't make sense 'cause he had a 38.5 inch vertical.

http://walterfootball.com/combine2014DB.php
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
It doesn't make sense 'cause he had a 38.5 inch vertical.

http://walterfootball.com/combine2014DB.php

Well that's more in line with someone running a 4.40. I figured that had to be an off number.

Our guys like big corners... what don't ya'll understand about that?
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Our guys like big corners... what don't ya'll understand about that?

Which is why they finished the season with 2 5'10" corners starting on the outside. Stop with your spreading the wisdom nonsense, if anything Baalke has shown that he'll go out and get any highly talented player for this team. Fangio doesn't have the corners playing a lot of press man so the whole size thing is greatly overrated, more valuable is agility and back-pedaling ability.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:40 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I would stay away from this guy and not because of the vertical. Too many red flags based on this past season.

I totally get that, but if I had to guess, he allowed himself to think too much about getting drafted and forgot to prepare properly for his junior season. But if you look back at his soph season, he was an absolute beast and projected to be one of the top prospects in the entire draft, much less corners.

So yes, that's a definite flag, but someone is going to get a great CB in the 2nd.

We have good defensive coaches that can work with him, if he can get his head straight.

If Fangio and Donatell want to draft Roby, then draft him. If they do not like Roby, do not draft him.
Which is why they finished the season with 2 5'10" corners starting on the outside. Stop with your spreading the wisdom nonsense, if anything Baalke has shown that he'll go out and get any highly talented player for this team. Fangio doesn't have the corners playing a lot of press man so the whole size thing is greatly overrated, more valuable is agility and back-pedaling ability.

The size has more to do with playing the jump-ball and contesting the ball in the air rather than pressing someone off the line. Your point stands, but I still guarantee you we won't draft Verrett if he's there. And then everyone here will be up-in-arms as usual.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
The size has more to do with playing the jump-ball and contesting the ball in the air rather than pressing someone off the line. Your point stands, but I still guarantee you we won't draft Verrett if he's there. And then everyone here will be up-in-arms as usual.

Who are you again? Your guarantees mean nothing to me. You're just another guy regurgitating the latest flavor of the month rhetoric. "Seahawks have big cornerbacks, therefore big cornerbacks=good, small cornerbacks=bad."
Share 49ersWebzone