LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by xela510:
Made some huge plays today but also dropped some crucial passes.

Made the catch to win the national championship...IMO, that trumps everything.

He was slow and ineffective most of the game. Short redzone lob passes have always been his specialty. All he does is catch TD's.

So much fail here I don't know where to start.

I expect him to run about a 4.7 at the combine. Not that he can't be an effective redzone jump ball target. I think he can. Perhaps he will run faster. I just don't see him in the middle of the field doing much. He does all his work by the endzone. It's not bad really. It's just I like a target at any point on the field.
As an FSU fan who has watched every game of his career here is my opinion:

Kelvin obviously is a huge target and can go up and get the ball. He's good with the ball in his hands too. The knocks on him is he drops some balls and his routes aren't sharp. Keep in mind he is only a redshirt sophmore. He's improved a lot since last year and steadily improved as this year progressed so he's still learning. I wouldn't expect him to come in and produce his first year in the NFL especially with the 49ers who don't use their 3 WR.

He was slow and ineffective most of the game. Short redzone lob passes have always been his specialty. All he does is catch TD's.

Have to agree.. feels agenda like. Benjamin dropped a couple, but also made a few very impressive catches. My only thing, is I really can't tell how fast he is. The drops.. were just small focus issues that can be corrected... but I have no idea what kind of mind he has. Is he a guy that will VD it? stay late and work on improving?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Have to agree.. feels agenda like. Benjamin dropped a couple, but also made a few very impressive catches. My only thing, is I really can't tell how fast he is. The drops.. were just small focus issues that can be corrected... but I have no idea what kind of mind he has. Is he a guy that will VD it? stay late and work on improving?

Big target WR.........kinda like JJ Stokes.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Big target WR.........kinda like JJ Stokes.

definitely.. wondering if his long strides can make up for any lack of elite acceleration.
Comparisons to Calvin Johnson are very premature...physically, yeah, I can see that. It's apples & oranges at this point, 'til Benjamin proves himself in the NFL. Intriguiging as he is potentially, I haven't given up on Baldwin. Apparently, neither have the Niners...he's still on the roster. He's got the size, speed and intangibles that'd seem to fit well in our offense. Assuming we re-sign Boldin, adding Crabtree, Baldwin & Patton to the WR list, my question is would it be better to add a speed guy to that mix instead of another "big"? I'm leaning toward saying yes if the 4 listed above are at the top of the WR food chain. Would love to see Watkins or Marquise Lee added because of their abilities to stretch the field. I wouldn't be upset if they added Benjamin or one of my personal favorites, Devante Parker (Louisville), either.
I can't say I was especially impressed by Benjamin last night. Tremendous leaping ability, but he's a guy who largely disappeared for much of the game, when Winston needed a clutch third down, he was looking Greene's way the whole time. Benjamin looked as he has throughout much of the season, a very talented guy, but extremely raw, someone that you need to develop for a couple of seasons before you get the full impact of his ability. An instant redzone weapon but a guy who will have to improve a lot as a receiver, beating up on 5'9" college corners is one thing, elevating over 6'4" Richard Sherman is another entirely.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I wonder if he will declare.

I think it would be wiser for him to stay in school for one more year.
He has a good chance to improve his draft status quite substantially.

This year's wide receiver class seems stacked.

But, it is up to him and his family.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 7, 2014 at 8:59 AM ]
I say we just continue rolling with Jonathan Baldwin in 2014 if he makes the roster.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I can't say I was especially impressed by Benjamin last night. Tremendous leaping ability, but he's a guy who largely disappeared for much of the game, when Winston needed a clutch third down, he was looking Greene's way the whole time. Benjamin looked as he has throughout much of the season, a very talented guy, but extremely raw, someone that you need to develop for a couple of seasons before you get the full impact of his ability. An instant redzone weapon but a guy who will have to improve a lot as a receiver, beating up on 5'9" college corners is one thing, elevating over 6'4" Richard Sherman is another entirely.

Love the guy's potential, but I fully agree. He should stay in school and give himself a real shot at being a high pick with a strong 2014-15 season. I don't think he's ready yet.

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

When Benjamin first got to FSU, he was one of those kids that didn't "buy in" and relied on talent instead of hard work. He doesn't have a diva attitude that I have heard. Everything was worked out with him and as you can tell he has turned it up. He still has work to do though.

I agree that he needs to stay in school for one more year but FSU insiders are saying that he is going to turn pro. Big IF he makes it to the second round....we need to take him.
Looks like he's going pro, though there's no official word yet.
FWIW http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24404777/nfl-draft-benjamin-adds-his-first-round-potential-to-deep-wr-class
I really don't see how he's a 1st rd pick but he's being projected there. Im gonna rewatch the NCG to understand him more but a couple of points. First I've read reports he had a weight issue. Im on my phone now but a google search would bring up pictures of a big gut. The way he runs his routes is very sloppy too. All this leads me to believe he has a poor work ethic. Sorry but Im not for drafting guys because they're big. Some functionality is required. We have Baldwin on the roster and he's probably a better athlete.
He really could have benefitted another year with Famous Jameis. Oh well, good luck kid (wherever he ends up going).
Share 49ersWebzone