LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 207 users in the forums

Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin

I don't see this receiver getting any love in the Zone, however I think he will be one of the top two receivers in the draft class. Its very surprising that theres a lot of you draft guys are showing love to 20 other guys, but hes left out of the conversation. Im not going to act as if I know more than most here, but I did play receiver for a bit (I know, big fn deal), and see a very special player who has star written all over him, 'on' the field anyway.

I will be doing more homework on him, hoping that he can be that high character guy that that 9ers love. Hopefully he is. I know he will be 23 after this season and its almost a given he will declare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2T3FAEkCk

More than anything this draft, I want to pay close attention to the gamebreaking plays that are made on the field, and unbelievable highlight plays, to help me decide who will make it on the next level. I wont seek a player for his big name and try to find what may make him great in the pros. Hope that makes sense a little bit.

I see a gamebreaker in Watkins and Benjamin at the next level.
Pros: I see very good body control running routes and finding the football. I see major production against top level defenses, deceptive speed, big body who welcomes contact, has blocking ability, understands finding the open spot to help out his qb (football IQ). Hes got strong hands but I like to see more catching away from his body when possible. He looks to beat man coverage with his route running and fighting off the snap.

Cons that I see: A little bit of a jump when catching the ball, ala Vernon Davis; catching with his chest at times. I see him not always concentrating on the easy passes (a few easy drops), and his balance Id like to see a little better when fighting off tacklers--nothing major there.

Anyone else other than me see the same???
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:58 PM ]
Someone help me with embedding please. I got problems right now. Thanks
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Dec 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM ]
Really like & want Benjamin on the 49ers also.
fml
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Dec 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I refer to you this thread

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/176040-kelvin-benjamin/search=benjamin

He's also getting mad love from people in the WR class of 2014 thread.

Benjamin has a lot of talent. He's a player I'd love us to take and learn from Boldin....assuming we resign him...
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 30, 2013 at 9:32 PM ]
People are starting to feature him in the first round now. Would be a nightmare with him crabs and boldin.
I dont know why yall are droolin over someone who put up just OK statz ....
I'm not a fan. He's slow as hell. Loses his footing alot too. We need a speed element next year. He might work out as a tight end though in my opinion.
[ Edited by kronik on Dec 31, 2013 at 4:51 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
I'm not a fan. He's slow as hell. Loses his footing alot too. We need a speed element next year. He might work out as a tight end though in my opinion.

He looks really slow to me and just catches lob passes in the endzone. I rarely see him do anything else impressive.

He's been said to be the fastest player on FSU's team. Bigger guys, we're talking 6'5" 230 plus pounds sometimes look slower but rest assured he'll run a 4.5 fourty and at that size will be pretty awesome. Mid season on, he was unstoppable.

[ Edited by OtisDriftwood on Jan 1, 2014 at 4:12 AM ]
Anyone who has actually watched him play can see exactly what your getting in him. Huge dude, physical blocker, tracks the ball at its highest point ( check out about 1:44 of the video and notice him catch the ball above the field goal post), tackle breaking ability. What more do you want. I believe we have a good smaller reciever in Patton, I also believe we should try to get another one of his kind but players like Kelvin dont come along very often.
[ Edited by OtisDriftwood on Jan 1, 2014 at 4:18 AM ]
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Anyone who has actually watched him play can see exactly what your getting in him. Huge dude, physical blocker, tracks the ball at its highest point ( check out about 1:44 of the video and notice him catch the ball above the field goal post), tackle breaking ability. What more do you want. I believe we have a good smaller reciever in Patton, I also believe we should try to get another one of his kind but players like Kelvin dont come along very often.

Agree. He would fit into our offense nicely.
He would be a welcome addition to play against nfc west team "seateral seahawks'. I'd love to se him truck Sherman off the line in press coverage!!!
I've been talking about him for awhile now in other threads and included him in my mock. Needless to say I'm on the bandwagon. I like him second to only Sammy Watkins
Share 49ersWebzone