LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

AB's Top 300 Big Board for the 2014 NFL Draft, Plus Positional Rankings

Originally posted by buck:
I would add Jonathan Dowling, safety, from Western Kentucky and Billy Turner, OT/OG, from North Dakota St.

Turner will be at the Senior Bowl, and I think he will improve his draft stock substantially.

Shoot forgot about Dowling.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Really good-looking list, AB... thanks for posting it. Love seeing other people's BBs.

Nitpickings:
I would bump up Jason Verrett and Trevor Reilly about 20 spots..
bump up Jimmie Ward and Lamarcus Joyner about 30 spots..

Thanks buddy. Still early process. Will have a new one once we here new declarings, and players staying put.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by fister30:
I agree about Bridgewater if he comes out.

I really like Teddy. Whoever gets him will be happy as can be. Best QB in this class. I liked Mariota, but always had Teddy #1.

He was recruited as a safety by all of the big programs. He went to Louisville because he could go as a QB. I'd say it was a good decision.
I see as many as 5 QBs going in rd 1.

Latest Mock is here, http://pigskinprospects.com/2013/12/27/jason-3rd-1-round-2014-mock-draft-as-of-december-27th-2013/

Have Adams to SF, and then 5 QBs in the 1st rd. let me know what you guys think.

I argue everyday at work about also seeing 5 QBs going in the first! Makes me feel better that you agree AB!
I agree about Bridgewater if he comes out.

I really like Teddy. Whoever gets him will be happy as can be. Best QB in this class. I liked Mariota, but always had Teddy #1.

He was recruited as a safety by all of the big programs. He went to Louisville because he could go as a QB. I'd say it was a good decision.

Agreed.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Latest Mock is here, http://pigskinprospects.com/2013/12/27/jason-3rd-1-round-2014-mock-draft-as-of-december-27th-2013/

Have Adams to SF, and then 5 QBs in the 1st rd. let me know what you guys think.

I argue everyday at work about also seeing 5 QBs going in the first! Makes me feel better that you agree AB!

I believe Teddy, Carr, Manziel, and Bortles are all 1st rounders. Hundley would be my 5th.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I believe Teddy, Carr, Manziel, and Bortles are all 1st rounders. Hundley would be my 5th.

I think you are right about the number of quarterbacks that should go in the first round.

I think Houston, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Tennessee, NY Jets, Oakland, and Minnesota need a quarterback.

That is 7 teams.

The Jets will not have to intestinal fortitude required to draft a QB in the first round.

That leaves 6 teams with a serious need at quarterback and this draft is good and deep at QB.

On a side note, you really should add Billy Turner to your list.

He is going to the Senior Bowl. He has the skill set to play OT or OG.
He has been described as a "punishing blocker."
Teddy's line so far tonight:

31-41, 400 yards, 3 TD's 0 ints against Miami
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This really is the best year for a QB to come out if he can solidify himself as the clear #1 QB in the draft. If everything holds true, then he could be the next QB of the Houston Texans. Going to St. Louis wouldn't be a bad deal at all either. If Cleveland is the landing spot (they could be picking anywhere from (3-7), you get the benefit of throwing to Josh Gordon. There are some pretty good opportunities available for QBs coming out in 2014.

Good first round mock. Going with the fan favorite of Adams is a nice touch, thats where i would go if the draft fell like that for sure. Like you said i think there is certainly some interest there from Baalkie. I think Adams will have a great combine, other than 40 time, which will be lower than some people prefer IMO.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DVDA:
Bryn Renner is on this list but Brett Smith is not.

Don't crucify me just yet. I need to review some prospects. namely Smith, and Demarcus Lawrence.

I understand that. Smith can be up and down but he is a competitor like Shaun Hill was. I think he would be an ideal long-term backup in the NFL. With the right coaching staff and a few years holding a clip board he could potentially be a solid starter too.

Another guy you need to look at is Marqueston Huff from Wyoming who has accepted an invitation to the senior bowl. He played corner his first three years then moved to safety for his senior year, similar to former Cowboy and current Browns starter Tashaun Gipson.
I don't see Marcus Smith... Louisville DE/OLB anywhere. He needs to be in the top 70.

Ok, so

Brett Smith, QB Wyoming
Demarcus Lawrence,
Jonathan Dowling, S, Western Kentucky
Marcus Smith, DE/OLB Louisville
Marqueston Huff, S Wyoming
Billy Turner, OG/OT North Dakota State

Anyone I'm missing?
The Rams pretty much control this draft and their haul could be scary. After Bridgewater is taken at 1, the bidding war for Carr begins and with the teams from 3-5 all needing help, the Rams could end up with the player they want at that trade back slot, , add a high second rounder or future first rounder, and still have their 13th overall. The team could land the best OL, double up on OL in first (which they probably should do) and also get RB or S help in the early second. Scary.

Side note: I still think Clowney is in for a rude awakening on draft day. I stated a couple months ago that I wouldn't be surprised to see him closer to 10th overall that first. Team needs and a major attitude adjustment may cause a slide. You know that in those interviewee at the combine, Barr is going to blow people away, and I am not sure Clowney will be able to address why he struggled to be productive this year.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The Rams pretty much control this draft and their haul could be scary. After Bridgewater is taken at 1, the bidding war for Carr begins and with the teams from 3-5 all needing help, the Rams could end up with the player they want at that trade back slot, , add a high second rounder or future first rounder, and still have their 13th overall. The team could land the best OL, double up on OL in first (which they probably should do) and also get RB or S help in the early second. Scary.

Side note: I still think Clowney is in for a rude awakening on draft day. I stated a couple months ago that I wouldn't be surprised to see him closer to 10th overall that first. Team needs and a major attitude adjustment may cause a slide. You know that in those interviewee at the combine, Barr is going to blow people away, and I am not sure Clowney will be able to address why he struggled to be productive this year.

I am agreeing more and more. Clowney has issues and could very well fall for sure
[ Edited by AB81Rules on Dec 30, 2013 at 1:18 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

You really foresee a bidding war for Carr even with all of the other QB prospects available? Is there really that big a divide between Carr and Bortles and Manziel? I don't see it, but I'm not much of a Carr fan. I just don't see it with him. Plus, a lower YPA always scares me with college quarterbacks. It's a pretty good predictor of future success.

RG3 was at 10.7 in his final year. Russell Wilson was at 10.3 in his. Cam Newton was at 10.2.

YPA of some top QB prospects for comparison...
Jameis Winston ('15)... 10.9
Bryce Petty ('15)... 10.8
Zach Mettenberger ('14)... 10.4
Johnny Manziel ('14)... 9.5
Marcus Mariota ('15)... 9.5
Blake Bortles ('14)... 9.3
Tajh Boyd ('14)... 9.3
Teddy Bridgewater ('14)... 9.3

Derek Carr ('14)... Way down the list at 7.7

To me, Carr is a prospect similar to Kap in that he put up a ton of production against inferior competition. However, he lacks the unique physical tools Kap has and is, therefore, not nearly as projectable. The stink-bomb he laid in their bowl game against USC didn't help his case, either.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Dec 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM ]
I am agreeing more and more. Clowney has issues and could very well fall for sure

I think Clowney's fall could be quickly and thoroughly mitigated by his workout performances. If he shows up at 6'6", 275 and runs a sub-4.5 40, any talk of his motor or speeding tickets is going to go right out the window. As others have noted, he was far and away the most schemed-around player in the country this year, and that's why his production fell off.
Share 49ersWebzone