There are 258 users in the forums

Cody Latimer-WR-Indiana(Declared)

Haven't seen people bringing this guy's name up but he's basically been an undercover superstar, doesn't get nearly the ink as some others do but he's a terrific wide receiver in his own right, brings tremendous size at 6'3", 215 and has had some monster games this season. He's up to 900+ yards and 8 TD's this season, not sure if he'll come out for the draft or play for the Hoosiers next season but he's a very interesting prospect, shows good speed and leaping ability, a better route runner than he is given credit for, a very explosive WR.

EDIT-1/6/14-He has officially declared for the draft and hired an agent!

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 6, 2014 at 8:00 AM ]
He looks like a good prospect if he comes out. What round do you think he could be had in?
Lots of prospects people aren't talking about. Some very underrated names out there, especially among seniors in an awful senior WR class.

One guy I'm intrigued by is Allen Hurns of Miami. He has 800+ receiving with 5 TDs and is Top 20 in the nation in YPC average. Not only does the guy get open deep, I've noticed he's an extremely solid blocker. Right now projected as a late rounder, but I think this kid has potential.
IU. No thanks.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
IU. No thanks.

Originally posted by tohara3:
He looks like a good prospect if he comes out. What round do you think he could be had in?

If he came out? Early 2nd to mid 3rd round. He's got the ideal build, has good speed, a nice redzone target, very good leaping ability, would love to see him join a group of Crabtree and Patton. Latimer has made some jaw-dropping catches and reliably attacks the football in the air as you might expect from a former basketball player.

Latimer's ceiling is sky high, he's a guy who didn't start playing football until his junior year in high school and each season in college he has improved and become a more well-rounded player, he's still fairly raw but I would say as gifted as any receiver in the country. He's got some of the best hands I've seen on a college receiver, once the ball is in his general catching radius, you're not beating him for it.

He doesn't get the ink that some guys do, but he has the potential to be one of the best receivers to come out of the draft. He has the size that some are looking for, the speed that others want, for a relatively raw player, he's a pretty solid route runner and by all accounts seems to be a very good character guy who works hard and still has a ton of upside.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Lots of prospects people aren't talking about. Some very underrated names out there, especially among seniors in an awful senior WR class.

One guy I'm intrigued by is Allen Hurns of Miami. He has 800+ receiving with 5 TDs and is Top 20 in the nation in YPC average. Not only does the guy get open deep, I've noticed he's an extremely solid blocker. Right now projected as a late rounder, but I think this kid has potential.

I haven't watched much Miami but from what I understand he seems to be a pretty quick guy who is a playmaker with the ball in his hands, a good YAC receiver.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I was really impressed with him in the game vs. Florida State. He did an excellent job catching deep passes because he didn't show his hands until it was too late for the defender to react. That quality is so important in the "deep threat" receiver. He also showed off some impressive hands with the other touchdown catch he had. He reminds me of Reggie Wayne. He doesn't seem all that impressive when you look at him but he seems to excel at a lot of the little things that make receivers good.
I'm sorry but can anyone name a big ten WR who is worth a crap in the league right now?

Don't waste your time with anyone from that conference, especially offensive skill position players!
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
I'm sorry but can anyone name a big ten WR who is worth a crap in the league right now?

Don't waste your time with anyone from that conference, especially offensive skill position players!

Of course this is an extremely short-sighted way of thinking. Looking at the conference instead of the player, this is how bad teams miss out on good players. I prefer to look at the player than what other teams/players in the past may have done. It was this short-sighted thinking that had people bashing Aaron Rodgers because "Tedford QB's are worthless in the NFL.

There's quite a few talented WR prospects in the Big 10 currently that I think can be bigtime players in the NFL, this includes Latimer, Kenny Bell of Nebraska among others.

You can knock the Big 10 however you wish, but guys like Joey Galloway, Terry Glenn had very good NFL careers, heck Mario Manningham has been solid in his NFL career, especially for a 3rd round pick.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 20, 2013 at 2:35 AM ]

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
IU. No thanks.

My diehard Purdue fanhood will never allow me to say anything nice about IU.
This kid is good but im tired of all this Project superstar and taking fliers on guys and trying to get a steal in the draft. We have more than enough ammunition to put the time, effort and evaluation to find the best WR in the Draft. Whether its Mike Evans (who is my choice) or Sammy Watkins or whoever else. Its time to straight up draft a high first round talent an do away with all the kyle williams, marlon more and Baldwins of the world. Crabtree fell in our laps, i am scared to even think who would we would have if we hadnt taken him.

Of course this is an extremely short-sighted way of thinking. Looking at the conference instead of the player, this is how bad teams miss out on good players. I prefer to look at the player than what other teams/players in the past may have done. It was this short-sighted thinking that had people bashing Aaron Rodgers because "Tedford QB's are worthless in the NFL.

There's quite a few talented WR prospects in the Big 10 currently that I think can be bigtime players in the NFL, this includes Latimer, Kenny Bell of Nebraska among others.

You can knock the Big 10 however you wish, but guys like Joey Galloway, Terry Glenn had very good NFL careers, heck Mario Manningham has been solid in his NFL career, especially for a 3rd round pick.

I'm just saying that skill position players from that conference have a long history of not producing. It's not the kind of football produces stars in the nfl. Sure there have been some decent WR out of the big ten but you can't even name me one player that is a top 30 WR in the league today?

Santonio Holmes was the best WR out of that conference in a very long time. Just off the top of my head I can name you Carlos Rodger, Bryant Johnson, Ted Ginn, Braylon Edwards and lets not forget AJ Jenkins. Every player is different but looking at history, the odds aren't in his favor to succeed in the nfl if he's from the big ten. If you wanna draft a lineman from there then sign me up!

Football has changed, these schools up north cant compete like they did 20-30 years ago because they can no long recruit the best players in the country. The best kids choose the sec, PAC 12 and big 12 because it's better football.

I'm just saying that skill position players from that conference have a long history of not producing. It's not the kind of football produces stars in the nfl. Sure there have been some decent WR out of the big ten but you can't even name me one player that is a top 30 WR in the league today?

Santonio Holmes was the best WR out of that conference in a very long time. Just off the top of my head I can name you Carlos Rodger, Bryant Johnson, Ted Ginn, Braylon Edwards and lets not forget AJ Jenkins. Every player is different but looking at history, the odds aren't in his favor to succeed in the nfl if he's from the big ten. If you wanna draft a lineman from there then sign me up!

Football has changed, these schools up north cant compete like they did 20-30 years ago because they can no long recruit the best players in the country. The best kids choose the sec, PAC 12 and big 12 because it's better football.

Eric Decker - Minnesota
Brian Hartline - Ohio State
There's 2 top 30 WRs from the b1g.

Once again, looking at the conference, not the individual player. Unless we're talking about the same system under the same coach, then I honestly see it as irrelevant. I'm sure some people figured that a quarterback out of EIU or Miami of Ohio would do s**t in the NFL....after all......"if they were any good" they would have gone elsewhere, some guys like to stick around where they are from or like a particular coach.

Latimer had offers from half a dozen other schools, including Oklahoma and this was after only having played football for 2 years. The head coach at Indiana was the OC at Oklahoma for many years and they ended up with many offensive players getting drafted quite high in the draft.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone