LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Darqueze Dennard-CB-Michigan State

I have a feeling this guy will be the next Derrell Revis.

He doesn't have the speed, length blah blah blah of other cornerbacks but he is a guaranteed number one cornerback in the NFL for years to come.

If we get him I'd be ecstatic!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Dennard is the one I want.
He has short arms though! Goes completely against Baalke's theories.
Dennard is one of the most overrated players in the draft IMO. He's not very fast or quick, and he has short arms. He didn't really face a single NFL-caliber receiver this entire season. Whenever I watched him, the receiver typically had a good play on the ball even when Dennard was right on him. He's not great at fighting for the ball. In fact, it seems like his instincts tell him to face away from the ball & just put his hands up & hope he gets lucky.

I'd be pissed if the Niners picked him over Roby, Gilbert or Verrett.
I don't think Dennard has the ceiling of a Revis or Haden. His lack of speed was never exposed in the Big 10. However, I do see him filling in nicely for Tarrell Brown.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

I still like him better than Gilbert if we decided to go up that high. My preference is still to trade up into the low 20's and nab Fuller.
He's my fifth ranked CB in the draft. I have Gilbert, Fuller, Varrett and Philip Gaines graded higher right now. The short shuttle and 3 cone time combination is quite bad for an early round draftee at CB. I see him strictly as a press corner. Once off the line, he is going to have problems covering quick guys at the next level.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

No, it goes completely against the Webzone's imagined traits of what Baalke is looking for in a defensive back. As mentioned previously, Culliver doesn't have the longest arms either. People are looking at what the 49ers have done in regards to defensive lineman and are trying to arbitrarily exclude anyone who doesn't have this mythical desired length, even if there's no evidence to support that Baalke would exclude a guy simply on that basis.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He's my fifth ranked CB in the draft. I have Gilbert, Fuller, Varrett and Philip Gaines graded higher right now. The short shuttle and 3 cone time combination is quite bad for an early round draftee at CB. I see him strictly as a press corner. Once off the line, he is going to have problems covering quick guys at the next level.

between you and Mayock you guys have different perspectives
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

I have Dennard as my #1 guy because I see the technique, the footwork, everything is there combined with a superior work ethic, each year he's stepped up and played a little better, a little smarter, tougher. I'll take a guy who is average athletically but is more consistent and maintains his composure better over an athletic super-freak that is up and down and all over the place. If Dennard is there, I want to see him drafted, if not, then Verrett.

Mayock has gone off the rails on this draft IMO. I have a lot more respect for McShay, but ironically he has Dennard as the top CB in the draft. That's one time I strongly disagree. I'd take Roby, Gilbert & Verrett over Dennard. Probably Fuller too, but it's close.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

Mayock has gone off the rails on this draft IMO. I have a lot more respect for McShay, but ironically he has Dennard as the top CB in the draft. That's one time I strongly disagree. I'd take Roby, Gilbert & Verrett over Dennard. Probably Fuller too, but it's close.

With all due respect but based on what bro? Mayock was a DB played the game compared to Kiper and McShay

I didn't know people actually respect McShay more than Mayock. This is the first time I've read that.

So both Mayock and McShay have Dennard as their #1 CB in the draft and somehow THEY are the outliers?
The grading for each individual is going to vary, and sometimes the difference is striking. I highly respect Phoenix on this board, but completely disagree with his analysis on Dennard. The same will go for many of the professional pundits who either played or didn't play in the NFL, but get the cash to make their boards.

I just have a personal philosophy and matrix I use for grading, and I am sure others have their way of analyzing and grading each player's prospects at the next level. For instance, I am firm believer in the combination of 40 times, 3 cone and short shuttle. If a guy can't crack a forty in 4.55, then, for me, that sends out a red flag. The same goes for the drills. If I see a guy posting a 4.30+ shuttle and 7.00+ cone time, major flags are waving. Can't find a big time NFL CB with numbers at Dennard's level: 4.41 and 7.07. Hence, my skepticism in his ability run well with guys once off the LOS.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 13, 2014 at 2:49 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone