There are 276 users in the forums

Sammy Watkins-WR-Clemson

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
only way we'll take him is if he gets hurt before the draft. this guy looks like a straight up beast and I hope were drafting 32nd.

if we really target him, we'll have to trade up and we definitely have the ammunition to trade up

One of the best moves the Niners ever made was to trade up to get Jerry Rice. Sometimes you just have to go for it. Of course, it can backfire and turn out to be JJ Stokes but I think this kid will be very good. Not sure what it would take but perhaps our 1, one of our 2's, one of our 3's and a 2 next yr??? We would have Watkins, a 2, 2 3's, a 4 this year.

LOL f**k no. No way in hell i would make that kind of trade. Regardless of what people think, we are gonna have some holes to fill this offseason. Secondary, more than 1 WR, Likely oline help, possibly a DT, likely a backup QB, etc.

And we would have a #1 dominant WR, a 2nd rd pick to get a corner, two #3's to get a safety and OL, a 4th to get a backup QB, and plenty of late rd picks to get fliers. We would have plenty of picks to fill any holes that we may have.

No. We would have an unproven rookie WR. Look, i like the kid, but I think he is slightly overrated due to the WR class. And the way you are predicting use of picks is not how it works. If he fell into the late teens, and hes the guy, fine make a move, but no way in hell would i give up what you have us giving up, if that even would be enough to get us to around pick ten.

we will have three WR's under contract at the end of the season, Crabtree, Baldwin, and Patton, its ikely we take two WR's and bring in a couple of UDFA. Who knows what we will end up having at CB, Need a S, need oline, possibly a DT, QB, I would like to see an hback come into play, etc.

Its simply too much to give up.

Actually it isnt when you look at the charts. The Niners have an excess of picks and they can use these to move up for an impact WR. The Niners need a #1 WR that can stretch the field. Give them someone like that along with Crab and Davis and you will really see the Niners become unstoppable.

Like I said, the Niners would still have plenty of picks to address the secondary and lines. They will be essentially getting Latimore and Tank coming in as rookies. When you consider that and that they will still have a 2nd and 2 thirds I think it is a move that makes incredible sense. Pretty sure that Atlanta doesnt regret giving up what they did for Julio Jones.
IdahoNiner, what do you think is overrated about him? Not saying we should trade everything for him, but I don't get the overrated part.
[ Edited by TheBlueHell on Nov 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM ]
Watkins is a beast! It's awesome that the Niners major needs are this years Draft Class strength...... WR, CB, Backup QB, and SS.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
IdahoNiner, what do you think is overrated about him? Not saying we should trade everything for him, but I don't get the overrated part.

I dont think he is overrated for this draft, i think he is rated about where he should be, my point was in a different, WR heavy draft, i dont think people would be talking about him as much. Will have to wait and see the combine numbers and how he compares to some other recent picks. My point is i see a lot of people throwing the name Julio Jones out there, and i think that's premature. Jones had pretty incredible combine numbers if i remember correctly.

Im also, as a general rule, very opposed to giving up a lot to trade up in the first round for a WR. moving up from the late first to around 20? sure, but not from the late round into the top ten.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Nov 9, 2013 at 4:29 PM ]
lol i don't think i've seen anyone compare him to Julio Jones. they're two completely different types of receivers. the only time i've seen Julio Jones mentioned is just the way ATL traded up for him and how the Niners would have to make a similar move to select Watkins. Julio Jones, IMO, was a quicker Terrell Owens coming out of Alabama. Watkins reminds me of Steve Smith.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
lol i don't think i've seen anyone compare him to Julio Jones. they're two completely different types of receivers. the only time i've seen Julio Jones mentioned is just the way ATL traded up for him and how the Niners would have to make a similar move to select Watkins. Julio Jones, IMO, was a quicker Terrell Owens coming out of Alabama. Watkins reminds me of Steve Smith.

Thats the point. Until i see measurables, i would not place Watkins as the type of guy i would give up that kind of loot for.
If he somehow lasted into the early to mid teens I say trade up for him like we did for Reid.
41 yard TD to go over 1000 yards on the season.
Damn. 2 catches....both 40+ yard TDs.
If he falls out of the top ten move up & get this kid! Please Baalke make it happen

He's my draft crush, so that means we aren't getting him.

We aren't getting Marquise Lee also.
We need a guy with Watkins speed on our team badly. I'm so tired of watching defenses stack the box all day long & nobody out there to make them pay for it.
Originally posted by tohara3:
We need a guy with Watkins speed on our team badly. I'm so tired of watching defenses stack the box all day long & nobody out there to make them pay for it.

Watkins or Lee. The Niners have the ammunition to go get one of the two. Watching Niners games week after week makes it so obvious that getting a true impact WR is by FAR their biggest need. Well.. some offensive lineman that can pass block too would be nice.
Watkins or Lee. The Niners have the ammunition to go get one of the two. Watching Niners games week after week makes it so obvious that getting a true impact WR is by FAR their biggest need. Well.. some offensive lineman that can pass block too would be nice.

Meh, even if they drafted him they'd only use him to block downfield. I'm extremely cynical that this current coaching staff could maximize the talent of a guy like Watkins.
we need to get this dude and probably another top receiver if we can. we have NO one with speed at WR
Share 49ersWebzone