LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

MadDog's 2013 NFL Draft Review

Originally posted by BillWalsh:
I don't have a link. But I read an article after last years draft that Harbaugh really wanted him, after seeing his Stanford defenses get ripped up by James a few times. Other then Andrew Luck, James was probably the most dominating player in the Pac 12.

Harbaugh said before the draft that Stanford couldn't keep James out of the endzone...even when they knew he was gong to get the ball. Of course, knowing the propensity of this group to shade the truth before and during the draft...
  • buck
  • Veteran
I don't have a link. But I read an article after last years draft that Harbaugh really wanted him, after seeing his Stanford defenses get ripped up by James a few times. Other then Andrew Luck, James was probably the most dominating player in the Pac 12.

That sounds familiar, but I do not remember if that was actually Harbaugh speaking or a writer drawing that conclusion.

It does seem somewhat logical, but logical and true are not synonymous.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I just watched a video of Casserly's Top Five Steals of the Draft.

SF had two of the five; Carradine and Lattimore.
Originally posted by buck:

If they can come back healthy!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Carradine looks right on schedule to take on the "designated pass rusher" role that Aldon Smith had his first year. The Niners are only going to play this guy on certain obvious passing downs to help introduce him into the NFL and allow him time to gain some weight and get fully healthy. Last time I heard though (a few days ago), Tank was already sprinting and doing lots of rehab work every day. He should be able to contribute something this year, although it may not be in the first part of the season. The guy really works hard though. Who knows when he will be ready to go?

Admittedly, he probably won't be 100% until 2014 but then, one can say the same thing about Hunter, K Williams, Manningham, and certainly Lattimore. In fact, Mario may miss the season. That is why he signed off on a big pay cut.
Also, the Niners essentially red-shirted most of their 2012 draft.....Looney, Cam Johnson, and ultimately, Fleming all were either coming off knee injuries or in the case of the latter, had one early in camp. The team wisely held them out for most, if not all of the season. Supposedly, Looney might even win the starting center gig this year. He will make the team as a strong back-up at the least.

In short, Tank's injury was far less devastating than Lattimore's so he seems to have a good shot to see the field in 2013.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Carradine looks right on schedule to take on the "designated pass rusher" role that Aldon Smith had his first year. The Niners are only going to play this guy on certain obvious passing downs to help introduce him into the NFL and allow him time to gain some weight and get fully healthy. Last time I heard though (a few days ago), Tank was already sprinting and doing lots of rehab work every day. He should be able to contribute something this year, although it may not be in the first part of the season. The guy really works hard though. Who knows when he will be ready to go?

Admittedly, he probably won't be 100% until 2014 but then, one can say the same thing about Hunter, K Williams, Manningham, and certainly Lattimore. In fact, Mario may miss the season. That is why he signed off on a big pay cut.
Also, the Niners essentially red-shirted most of their 2012 draft.....Looney, Cam Johnson, and ultimately, Fleming all were either coming off knee injuries or in the case of the latter, had one early in camp. The team wisely held them out for most, if not all of the season. Supposedly, Looney might even win the starting center gig this year. He will make the team as a strong back-up at the least.

In short, Tank's injury was far less devastating than Lattimore's so he seems to have a good shot to see the field in 2013.

id like to see them put carradine on the pup lis to start the season, so as to let him get 100% healthy..after 6 games he can come in with fresh legs and gave more omph to the pass rush
That sounds familiar, but I do not remember if that was actually Harbaugh speaking or a writer drawing that conclusion.

Well just take it for what it's worth from a lowly webzone poster, I do remember Harbaugh himself saying it, or possibly Trent saying that James was a Harbaugh pick, but then again these guys talk up pretty much every player on the roster.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Well just take it for what it's worth from a lowly webzone poster, I do remember Harbaugh himself saying it, or possibly Trent saying that James was a Harbaugh pick, but then again these guys talk up pretty much every player on the roster.

Ok. If you remember that it was Harbaugh or Baalke speaking, I will accept that.
Hope your memory is better than mine.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
4. Marcus Lattimore: 131st pick. A terrific football player, with great spirit and heart. The team could take a high risk player in Lattimore at this juncture with so many picks at their disposal. Why not roll the dice with a guy who could end up the best back in the draft? This is the positive spin on Lattimore. The reality is that Lattimore suffered a horrific injury, and while there are examples of RBs who return to form after major ACL surgery (Peterson, McGahee), most are not the same. Further, Lattimore has a lot of mileage on that body, even before the injury, as he has been taking big hits for four college years. He does not shrink from violent collisions, and that takes an extra toll. If I was a betting man, I'd say he won't end up the NFL player that I imagined when he tore up college football as a freshman. However, I wish the best for him.

lol wat

Declares as a Junior, only played 13 total games his last two years = four college years?
Originally posted by Ether:
4. Marcus Lattimore: 131st pick. A terrific football player, with great spirit and heart. The team could take a high risk player in Lattimore at this juncture with so many picks at their disposal. Why not roll the dice with a guy who could end up the best back in the draft? This is the positive spin on Lattimore. The reality is that Lattimore suffered a horrific injury, and while there are examples of RBs who return to form after major ACL surgery (Peterson, McGahee), most are not the same. Further, Lattimore has a lot of mileage on that body, even before the injury, as he has been taking big hits for four college years. He does not shrink from violent collisions, and that takes an extra toll. If I was a betting man, I'd say he won't end up the NFL player that I imagined when he tore up college football as a freshman. However, I wish the best for him.

lol wat

Declares as a Junior, only played 13 total games his last two years = four college years?

I'm as confused as you. Lattimore's college career consisted of three years/29 games played, with 11 games with under 15 carries.

Originally posted by hofer36:
id like to see them put carradine on the pup lis to start the season, so as to let him get 100% healthy..after 6 games he can come in with fresh legs and gave more omph to the pass rush

This camp is going to be a bit of a mash unit! So many guys coming back from serious injuries may determine some roster spots. Williams is the least likely to stay if he can't be 100%. The rookies (Carradine and Lattimore) will stay, either IR or PUP, and Manningham will stay as well. Dobbs may also be out if he can't make it back healthy. Somehow the roster will shake out in a logical way...will lose some good players at cut time!
Originally posted by Ether:

lol wat

My apologies. Three years. Injured the past two years.
Every move they made was based off of a pattern associated with numerology. 18= 6+6+6. Moving back from 34 to 40; 6 spots; and 3+4+4 is 11... 55 and 88 are divisible by 11, both picks the niners (as did happen with pick 18) inexplicably, move up for players they didn't need to move up for. . hope these guys aren't conjuring black magic..
[ Edited by bdub2588 on May 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM ]
Originally posted by bdub2588:
Every move they made was based off of a pattern associated with numerology. 18= 6+6+6. Moving back from 34 to 40; 6 spots; and 3+4+4 is 11... 55 and 88 are divisible by 11, both picks the niners (as did happen with pick 18) inexplicably, move up for players they didn't need to move up for. . hope these guys aren't conjuring black magic..

And how do you know that they didn't need to move up? Well, you don't.
Originally posted by English:
And how do you know that they didn't need to move up? Well, you don't.

Of course their actions were logical if they just had to have a certain guy, but I'm not the only one that found the manner in which those moves were, to be conducted, a tad bit in peculiar fashion. I get it for one or two guys but it was just odd. And they also coincidentally ended up with 11 picks; interesting observations brought to you by...
Share 49ersWebzone