LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Vaccaro for 1st and 2nd Picks?

what is it with the love rquest for this Vaccarro dude? Yeah he's good but no freakin way i'd move up for this dude. The only two guys i would move up for in this draft. is Star DT utah and Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia
No wucking fay!!! If u be payin' attention, #29 is going to be the starting safety. Watch what happens Thursday and you will see how the Niners are going to put this team in position to go to and WIN SB48. There will be a safety chosen but, not in the 1st rd. More than likely, either a tight end, or dtackle. Now, if one of the "elite" dt's is there within reach, there may be upward movement; other than that, lower picks will be traded to either move up in mid round or for high picks next year.
No way. I don't think the front office values the safety position as much as other positions. I think they would do it for a stud defensive lineman though.
We would have to trade infront of Dallas, but I see us trading up for another player and taking a safety later. Rather deep for them.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I read that the main thing that makes Vaccaro a special S prospect is his ability to man-cover TEs and slot receivers.

Sounds enticing, but we rarely ask our S to do that.

Then again, maybe because they can't?
Originally posted by 84SheepDog:
If he dropped to 20 I would consider it. It would cost considerably less then! But I guess that's unlikely.

Much cheaper, so maybe, but I think he will be gone before then.
My prediction-the niners will not possess the 31st pick when it comes up. They will either move up if someone they like begins to fall within range or trade out to gain more picks. Like someones 2nd and 3rd rounder. Then use the other picks to either move back into the 2nd round for three 2nd round picks or use that 3rd rounder gained to get someone's 2nd rounder next year or somewhere along those lines.
Do it, We've draft 5 Fs since Trent has become G.M. and we still have a hole. Time to get it right. Hopefully 6 is the lucky number. Cause 7 safety's is going to piss me off!
I think most people are overlooking that the Niners draft a year or two in advance of their needs if they can. We need a FS now and we'll need a SS in a year (Whitner is a FA and not great in coverage) and Baalke has said he favours two safeties who are completely interchangeable because that allows the defence to disguise coverages better.

I'm expecting the Niners to take two safeties in this year's draft because of this. I wouldn't expect them to bundle top 3 round picks to go up and grab Vaccaro but rather go up in the 1st for a DL they love and then let their draft board play out.

I expect them to trade 2-3 picks at least into next year's draft too.
I have already agreed with majority sentiment, and best said was that vacarro is not worth 2 starting DLs. I'm not even sure he is worth one of them. Then there is the knot of FS , about 7-8 of them, all fairly equally talented. I suspect we get one of them in rd 2, very late, after burning some draft picks to move up. We get our two DLs first, because BPA, that is who is going to be there.

Another comment was made that we don't draft CBs that high. I think we draft CBs and WRs , but not that high. When we have deviated from that we get burned....Rashaun woods anyone? Obviously 2 very different positions, but they have in common one thing: do not take either high in 1st rd. Having said that, I suppose trent moves up and takes Tavon Austin...but the thing is, he shouldn't.

maybe our 1st, and then splash in a 3rd and 4th ...but NOT any of our 2nd round picks ....if we are going to sacrifice draft picks , we better make damn sure its an Impact player that will contribute from day one ....yes this might be a different regime , and one of the more intelligent front office's in recent memory for our beloved 49ers , but the memory of the rashaun woods and reggie mcgrew's and Jim Druckenmillers still lingers in the head of this old 49ers fan .

Draft SMART ...shop , S-MART ...ok that last part was pretty dumb and killed my post
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Yes that would work, but no baalke won't do that. Too much given up. There goes our 2 DL starters that we have to give up. Instead we will get our 2 DL starters, and probably move up on the bunch of FS that all seem to be about the same. Certainly harbaugh and trent have their choice as to who is best and yes, I could see us move up into that slot. But i just think moving up 16 slots to get vaccaro is a bridge too far, in that then we won't be able to land the 2 DLs we have to have.

This seems right! I could see them move up if Star or Richardson fell, but I don't see Vacarro as better at FS than many others in the draft. With the depth at DL and DB I would be surprised if Baalke gave up any of the first three picks to move up...maybe a third or fourth.
I'd rather they get a top DL in the first round, and then have them draft Shamarko Thomas later on. Thomas can play both S positions, corner, and even jump in at LB if needed. His versatility makes him more valuable that Vaccaro, and I honestly think he will end up being the best S in this draft.
  • dj43
If the 49ers do move up, it will be to get a game-changing pass rusher who will make the entire secondary look better. I like Vacarro but he is not a game changer like Thomas or Berry. Certainly safety is a high need but not moreso than a pass rushing DL to spell/replace Justin.
Originally posted by FearItself:
We're not going to draft any of them. We'll be moving Culliver to FS this year, and that's why we signed Asomugha, and why we aren't fretting the FS crop all that much. We're trading up for a D-Lineman, either Carradine, Richardson, or Lotulelei. We're also drafting a CB in the first 2 rounds. My money is on Tank with the trade-up.

Originally posted by NinerTy:
No wucking fay!!! If u be payin' attention, #29 is going to be the starting safety. Watch what happens Thursday and you will see how the Niners are going to put this team in position to go to and WIN SB48. There will be a safety chosen but, not in the 1st rd. More than likely, either a tight end, or dtackle. Now, if one of the "elite" dt's is there within reach, there may be upward movement; other than that, lower picks will be traded to either move up in mid round or for high picks next year.

How do you KNOW this? you state it as fact. Do you work for the organization?
Share 49ersWebzone