There are 193 users in the forums

Vaccaro for 1st and 2nd Picks?

We're not going to draft any of them. We'll be moving Culliver to FS this year, and that's why we signed Asomugha, and why we aren't fretting the FS crop all that much. We're trading up for a D-Lineman, either Carradine, Richardson, or Lotulelei. We're also drafting a CB in the first 2 rounds. My money is on Tank with the trade-up.
Not for a S...Vaccaro's really good, but it's a deep draft for S. Coming from the #31 spot, any team willing to trade back from the mid rds or even earlier will want a TON to make the deal. I'm down w/Baalke trading the #31 pick to gain another 2nd rounder. In fact, that's the direction he should trade, into the 2nd and 3rd rds, where there's a huge amount of talent. About the only guy I'd consider trading up for is Lotulelei...he's a game changer and would give Harbaugh the biggest, deepest and most talented DL the Niners have had in over 10 years.
No
As much as I like Vaccaro I think they'll go DL.
I agree with most everyone on here that it's too big a price to pay and we can find a safety in the draft down the road. I still think we will sign Charles Woodson and draft someone who can learn the system under him and Whitner! Someone like Bacarri Rambo, Josh Evans or Phillip Thomas would be fine and will be there in 3rd round.
[ Edited by Ninerfan81 on Apr 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM ]
If Balkee likes someone he's proven he'll go get him. Just depends who he likes.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
If we had a crystal ball and knew for a fact that Vacarro would be the next D. Sanders/D. Revis (type of athlete/I know they aren't safeties), then of course, yes, it's a no brainer. BUT no crystal ball so, absolutely NOT.
[ Edited by LVJay on Apr 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM ]
Originally posted by LVJay:
If we had a crystal ball and knew for a fact that Vacarro would be the next D. Sanders/D. Revis, then of course, yes (no brainer). BUT no crystal ball so, absolutely NOT.

Well he plays a vastly different position than those two. He has been compared often to Eric Weddle, who most consider the best all-around S in the game. But I agree with you. Not worth moving up for.
We don't need a "in the box" saftey whose mostly suited to play up front. We need a single high saftey who can play centerfield(like what dashon goldson did) and has range. I swear, most people don't know the difference between a free saftey and strong saftey in our scheme...
Originally posted by Timdiz:
We don't need a "in the box" saftey whose mostly suited to play up front. We need a single high saftey who can play centerfield(like what dashon goldson did) and has range. I swear, most people don't know the difference between a free saftey and strong saftey in our scheme...

I'm not sure you understand the scheme all that well either. We play mostly 2 deep, and Goldson's range was not one of his strengths.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Well he plays a vastly different position than those two. He has been compared often to Eric Weddle, who most consider the best all-around S in the game. But I agree with you. Not worth moving up for.

Good example, thx for that. I know he's a safety, but I'm referring to his athletic abilities and a play maker in the next level. However, even if he can be as good as E. Weddle, I'm still not sure if that's well worth the potential of the two picks we could get at 31/34...
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
If you are the 49ers GM, would you trade 49ers 1st and 2nd rd pick (34th) to move up and get Safety Kenny Vaccaro from Texas? I'm not sure where he is projected or how much is worth to move to between 15th and 20th slot, but, would you make the move and be an instant started at FS?

#1 Rated Safety, Kenny Vaccaro, 6'0 214, 4.63 -40 yd.

reaching ti fuill a need usually doesnt end well
F**k no!!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by Timdiz:

I'm not sure you understand the scheme all that well either. We play mostly 2 deep, and Goldson's range was not one of his strengths.

True, it wasn't shown a lot as one of his strengths. Maybe if he focused (at practice/film room/in games) more on that instead of lighting fools up with big hits, more of us would've wanted him to stay, even with the price he wanted. I'd still take Goldson over any rookie coming out, over Woodson and anyone else left over in FA.
Vaccaro is good but I feel we could get guys like Cyprien, P.Thomas, and Amerson to step in and be solid
Share 49ersWebzone