LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Finding the next Justin Smith - Alex Okafor?

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Justin doesn't need replacing. Rather than selecting his replacement this year, the smarter route would be to trade out that selection into a higher pick in 2014.

He's only got 1 more year on contract, and retirement is on his radar.

"I'm not going to retire after this year," Smith said. "I would like to come back and try to get here (theSuper Bowl) again. I realize my career is definitely winding down. I'm not saying I'm going to play another eight years or something like that. I want to play at a high level."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000133210/article/justin-smith-says-triceps-50-percent-torn-he-wont-retire

We need to develop a replacement now. It will take at least a year or two before ANY rookie is capable of performing at Justin's level.
I think you're suffering the Webzone Super Bowl Retinal Burn. It involves believing that having a replacement for Justin in 2013 will make up for his injury in 2012.

Or, having a solid young backup might serve useful in the event he gets injured in 2013. Addressing the issue of Smith not having a legitimate backup shouldn't be very controversial.
Justin doesn't need replacing. Rather than selecting his replacement this year, the smarter route would be to trade out that selection into a higher pick in 2014.

You're right about not replacing Justin Smith permanently. He needs some to spell him so he doesn't have to play 90% plus of the snaps on defense. If a draft choice this year can take about 20% of those snaps and learn the Niners defense from Smith, why wait?
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Watched every game he played and I routinely hype Texas guys, was touting Vacarro last year before anyone. That being said Okafor was inconsistent and largely disaapointing to Horns fans over his career based on what his potential was. Frankly, we haven't put out a good non-secondary prospect since Muschamp left. I wouldn't spend my high picks on Okafor.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Watched every game he played and I routinely hype Texas guys, was touting Vacarro last year before anyone. That being said Okafor was inconsistent and largely disaapointing to Horns fans over his career based on what his potential was. Frankly, we haven't put out a good non-secondary prospect since Muschamp left. I wouldn't spend my high picks on Okafor.

Really?

54 tackles and 12.5 sacks as a senior isn't enough to make Texas fans happy (50 tackles / 7 sacks as a junior)? That's very good production for a DE. Pass rushers often have inconsistent production when it comes to stats. A lot depends on the game plan from week to week and what your opponent is doing on offense. Just look at Aldon Smith, he was wildly inconsistent this year in terms of stats.

What is it that you don't like about him?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

You're right about not replacing Justin Smith permanently. He needs some to spell him so he doesn't have to play 90% plus of the snaps on defense. If a draft choice this year can take about 20% of those snaps and learn the Niners defense from Smith, why wait?
Because he's the best player on defense, so he should be on the field as much as possible.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

"I'm not going to retire after this year," Smith said. "I would like to come back and try to get here (theSuper Bowl) again. I realize my career is definitely winding down. I'm not saying I'm going to play another eight years or something like that. I want to play at a high level."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000133210/article/justin-smith-says-triceps-50-percent-torn-he-wont-retire

We need to develop a replacement now. It will take at least a year or two before ANY rookie is capable of performing at Justin's level.
I think you're suffering the Webzone Super Bowl Retinal Burn. It involves believing that having a replacement for Justin in 2013 will make up for his injury in 2012.

Or, having a solid young backup might serve useful in the event he gets injured in 2013. Addressing the issue of Smith not having a legitimate backup shouldn't be very controversial.
The controversy is at what cost. By your logic, don't the Niners need a solid young backup for Willis and Bowman and Aldon Smith? What about solid young backups for Kaep and VD?

The controversy is at what cost. By your logic, don't the Niners need a solid young backup for Willis and Bowman and Aldon Smith? What about solid young backups for Kaep and VD?

If you seriously can't see the difference between drafting a backup for Justin Smith (who's closing in on the end of his career and only signed through 2013) and doing so for Willis, Bowman, Aldon, Kap, etc. (all much younger, and signed for longer or will be extended soon), than there's nothing I can do for you.

Btw, I'm not saying we absolutely need to use a high pick on a replacement for Justin...just that we need one. If the right guy is there at #31 or #34, they should make the pick...if they feel a corner or safety is a better selection that high, I'm cool with that too. I'm just saying, it's clear to me we need to think about a long-term replacement AND a short-term rotational solution for Justin.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM ]
Hmmm.. it's an interesting conversion idea.

I must say, I disagree with you about Brooks not fitting well as the LE in our Nickel package though. That just doesn't make sense to me. Brooks is excellent with hand in the dirt and tearing after the QB. Now if you want to say he's getting older and may need a breather on 3rd and long, then maybe I get you.

One thing I really like about your idea... is that watching Okafor.. his biggest weakness is play recognition. So putting him inside to attack the ball (QB/RB) is a bit less problematic at 3-4 DE vs playing 3-4 OLB.

Is he stout enough as a 3-4 DE? Can he get bigger and stronger? Yes.

You may have something to explore here.
  • KK49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
he's actually my surprise pick in the 1st or 2nd

u mean this year's draft Aldon Smith
Brian Orakpo 4 yrs texas 23 sacks
Alex Okafor 4 yrs texas 23 sacks

We need to strengthen our 4 man rush on nickell and dime packages dont be Surprised to here his name come Draft Time....

OKAFOR/DORSEY/SMITH/SMITH WOULD BE NICE....

I don't know if you can get a Justin Smith in the draft. According to one report, his combine 40 was I think 4.69, and his bench rep of 225 lbs was 26. Okafor was a 4.89 and 21 repsectively. I am one of those however, that believes that, because the offense will be dynamic and score points in a flash. The defense will be spending more time on the field and thus someone to totate with Justin and McDonald is a must so that they don't tired at the end of the season and thus less susceptable to injuries. Plus, getting a replacement now will allow that player to learn from Smith while giving that player time to bulk up before inheriting the duties.

Whether it is Okafor, I don't know, but he is a good possibility.
Member Milestone: This is post number 3,000 for WildBill.

It has nothing to do with making up for 2012 injury, but getting someone to add to the rotation so that it dosen't happen again. Even if the person is the best player, you don't want to run them into the ground. Look at Gore he is the workhorse but they got players to add to the rotation. Why? So that he would stay fresh. However, yes they player would serve as hopefully a player to inherit Smith's job in the future as he also grows physically and mentally under Smith. If they do take Okafor, it also doesn't have to be with the first, BPA no sense pushing, unless the niners think otherwise.

We all know you want the niners to take the wr you have a man crush on with the first pick, I can understand that, every zoner has a draft crush that they insist must be the player the niners must take or they are idiots.

Rigth now I don't have a man crush on any particular player, just BPA at the two positions of need Safety or DL. Then TE. The rest should be BPA gravey.
Originally posted by WildBill:

It has nothing to do with making up for 2012 injury, but getting someone to add to the rotation so that it dosen't happen again. Even if the person is the best player, you don't want to run them into the ground. Look at Gore he is the workhorse but they got players to add to the rotation. Why? So that he would stay fresh. However, yes they player would serve as hopefully a player to inherit Smith's job in the future as he also grows physically and mentally under Smith. If they do take Okafor, it also doesn't have to be with the first, BPA no sense pushing, unless the niners think otherwise.

We all know you want the niners to take the wr you have a man crush on with the first pick, I can understand that, every zoner has a draft crush that they insist must be the player the niners must take or they are idiots.

Rigth now I don't have a man crush on any particular player, just BPA at the two positions of need Safety or DL. Then TE. The rest should be BPA gravey.
You're confused. I haven't stated any man crush, or a WR with the first pick. "We all know ..."? When I hear this line, it means, "I want to believe ..." Your apology would be appreciated.

Yeah, this is more evidence that the Webzone Super Bowl Retinal Burn affects the thought process and memory. Also, I don't think posters here are idiots, just overreacting to Justin's injury. Like suddenly he's become grandpa senile rather than remaining the best player on the Niners' team. And many are ready to put him out to pasture. Or it's, "No we just want a good rotational guy." How high will Baalke have to pick to get someone better than Dorsey? Is that worth it for a backup role?

No.

If you seriously can't see the difference between drafting a backup for Justin Smith (who's closing in on the end of his career and only signed through 2013) and doing so for Willis, Bowman, Aldon, Kap, etc. (all much younger, and signed for longer or will be extended soon), than there's nothing I can do for you.

Btw, I'm not saying we absolutely need to use a high pick on a replacement for Justin...just that we need one. If the right guy is there at #31 or #34, they should make the pick...if they feel a corner or safety is a better selection that high, I'm cool with that too. I'm just saying, it's clear to me we need to think about a long-term replacement AND a short-term rotational solution for Justin.

It's good that I'm not asking you to do anything for me. If you're not asserting the need only "to think about" a long-term replacement and a short-term rotational solution (Have you heard of Dorsey?), then my job is done. Think about it in relation to the many other backup situations that would be useful to have.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM ]
Sounds like a good prospect
Share 49ersWebzone