LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

John Jenkins has dropped almost 40 pounds since the season ended.

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by kush:

Walter football still has him ranked as their #2 NT prospect, where he has been listed all off season. I beleive CBS once had him ranked as their #2 at the start of the offseason. Actually at the start of the offseason, he was in fact, largely the #2 NT prospect in the country. You may have only seen me say it, but i have been following prospect ranking all offseason, from the very begining.

As far as the weight goes, i would say an overweight NT, who was still plenty athletic, is a bit differant than an over weight player in a skill position like WR.
I don't put too much stock into Walter Football's rankings. They are nice to look at to get to know prospect names and to get a very general idea of a players range.

Personally I don't care for most draft sites as I prefer to form my own opinion.

In my opinion (based on tape) the top NTs are:

1. Star Lotulelei
2. Johnathan Hankins
3. Jesse Williams
4. Sly Williams
5. John Jenkins

CBS/Nfl draft scout has him as their #8 DT and #74 prospect. That sounds closer to how I value him.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Very athletic for a big man, but my big concern about Jenkins is that he doesn't play with great leverage. Maybe it's the weight or just bad technique, but he gets easily pushed around and upended more than a big guy like that should, especially when playing the run. He actually seems more effective rushing the passer either over the nose or in a 5-technique than he does holding the point (either against a double-team or even just 1-on-1). The potential is definitely there and in time I could see him being a monster 3-4 interior player under the coaching of Tomsula...but right now, he's going to need a lot of work on and off the field.

I agree with all of this, especially re: leverage. It's a bit baffling to watch him as I keep waiting for him to manhandle his opponent each play but he is usually the one who is handled.

That being said, the upside on Jenkins is RIDICULOUS. Did I read correctly that he had a 34" vertical
[ Edited by kush on Apr 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM ]
Very athletic for a big man, but my big concern about Jenkins is that he doesn't play with great leverage. Maybe it's the weight or just bad technique, but he gets easily pushed around and upended more than a big guy like that should, especially when playing the run. He actually seems more effective rushing the passer either over the nose or in a 5-technique than he does holding the point (either against a double-team or even just 1-on-1). The potential is definitely there and in time I could see him being a monster 3-4 interior player under the coaching of Tomsula...but right now, he's going to need a lot of work on and off the field.

I agree with all of this, especially re: leverage. It's a bit baffling to watch him as I keep waiting for him to manhandle his opponent each play but he is usually the one who is handled.

That being said, the upside on Jenkins is RIDICULOUS. Did I read correctly that he had a 34" vertical

34.5" vertical, at 6'4", 343. That's just obscene.

Walter football still has him ranked as their #2 NT prospect, where he has been listed all off season. I beleive CBS once had him ranked as their #2 at the start of the offseason. Actually at the start of the offseason, he was in fact, largely the #2 NT prospect in the country. You may have only seen me say it, but i have been following prospect ranking all offseason, from the very begining.

As far as the weight goes, i would say an overweight NT, who was still plenty athletic, is a bit differant than an over weight player in a skill position like WR.
I don't put too much stock into Walter Football's rankings. They are nice to look at to get to know prospect names and to get a very general idea of a players range.

Personally I don't care for most draft sites as I prefer to form my own opinion.

In my opinion (based on tape) the top NTs are:

1. Star Lotulelei
2. Johnathan Hankins
3. Jesse Williams
4. Sly Williams
5. John Jenkins

CBS/Nfl draft scout has him as their #8 DT and #74 prospect. That sounds closer to how I value him.
I was stating other sites because you stated i was the only one you have seen rank him like that.

I like Jesse williams as well, but both him and Sly are a bit of tweeners. We have differant opinions which is fine. The thing i took exception too was the fat and lazy mentality.

Its like when early in the off season people tryed to place blame on him for the bowl game, and didnt even know he didnt play in that game. I had this guy as our first round draft pick in my very first mock way back at the start of the offseason.

From a purely NT ranking perspective, i have them like this

1. Lotulelei
2. Jenkins
3. J. Williams
4. Hankins
5. S. Williams

I agree. He definately has some things he needs to work on, But under a coach like tomsula, and with the great character guys on the dline surrounding him, i think his upside is just sky high.
Not sticking around to argue, really.. but I threw on some games of Jenkins and came away underwhelmed. Guess we can speculate that everything he did at Georgia, he would do better since he shed the weight. I still have him as a 2nd rounder.. but I don't see the fit or strong appeal, if I am honest.

34.5" vertical, at 6'4", 343. That's just obscene.

Damn big boy got bounce. He ain't no Andy Reid, that's for sure. Andy Reid got credit card hops.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Brandon Williams > John Jenkins IMO

Reason I like BW is because he can rotate to other positions on the DL. He reminds me of BJ Raji.

And Jenkins can't? He played DE as well as NT.....at 330 pounds he could definitely rotate on the outside occasionally....the one thing he's especially got over a guy like Jesse Williams is actual pass rush ability. Not that I would be unhappy with Williams, either Jesse or Brandon.......Brandon Williams might be the most complete overall, only thing keeping him out of the first round is the level of competition he went against.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Reason I like BW is because he can rotate to other positions on the DL. He reminds me of BJ Raji.

And Jenkins can't? He played DE as well as NT.....at 330 pounds he could definitely rotate on the outside occasionally....the one thing he's especially got over a guy like Jesse Williams is actual pass rush ability. Not that I would be unhappy with Williams, either Jesse or Brandon.......Brandon Williams might be the most complete overall, only thing keeping him out of the first round is the level of competition he went against.

Honestly, I don't think Jenkins can. I don't think he was very effective playing DE. Especially in the NFL where he'll need to be a bit quicker, especially when having to cover the outside against running plays from Seattle.

Honestly, I don't think Jenkins can. I don't think he was very effective playing DE. Especially in the NFL where he'll need to be a bit quicker, especially when having to cover the outside against running plays from Seattle.

Scheme-wise, a guy like Jenkins wouldn't be asked to cover (or play) the outside against the run...he would be responsible for setting the edge as a 5-technique player (which he could do), forcing the runner to stretch the play or cut back inside and allowing other defenders to make plays. Red Bryant is a similar athlete and that's essentially what he does for Seattle.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM ]

Scheme-wise, a guy like Jenkins wouldn't be asked to cover (or play) the outside against the run...he would be responsible for setting the edge as a 5-technique player (which he could do), forcing the runner to stretch the play or cut back inside and allowing other defenders to make plays. Red Bryant is a similar athlete and that's essentially what he does for Seattle.

Red Bryant is exactly the player I compared him to. However, if he's gonna set the edge, he should still be able to allow the runners to go back inside and i just don't know if he has the quickness to do so. i see RayMac doing that for us all the time.
Share 49ersWebzone