There are 198 users in the forums

John Jenkins has dropped almost 40 pounds since the season ended.

Georgia had him listed in the 350s, he claims that in all reality he was closer to 370. He weighed in at 343 at the Combine but supposedly weighs around 332 right now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/06/georgias-john-jenkins-drops-38-pounds-down-to-332/

If he can continually stay under 340 pounds, with his outstanding athleticism, he could really be an effective player in the NFL.
Id draft him @ 34. Only after the safety position had been addressed
Makes him much more attractive, but one wonders...after the big contract can he maintain self discipline?
He needs to be 330 tops
I'd prefer Brandon Williams at NT, who we can get later in the 2nd round. Save those top picks (31 and 34) for a DE (Datone Jones, Tank Carradine, maybe Kewan Short or Sly Williams).
Originally posted by blm7754:
I'd prefer Brandon Williams at NT, who we can get later in the 2nd round. Save those top picks (31 and 34) for a DE (Datone Jones, Tank Carradine, maybe Kewan Short or Sly Williams).

I completely agree. Any 4 of those would be tremendous. I like BW as well, but I wonder if he'll last till our late 2nd.
Good for him
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Makes him much more attractive, but one wonders...after the big contract can he maintain self discipline?

Well, the beauty of the new CBA is that rookies don't get outrageous contracts. If he really wants the big one he will have to prove it.

Anthony Davis had some weight issues too and people questioned whether or not he could maintain his shape in the NFL, thus far he has done so pretty well. Jenkins already has had a private workout with the 49ers additionally.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Well, the beauty of the new CBA is that rookies don't get outrageous contracts. If he really wants the big one he will have to prove it.

Idk thought. He has already showed a lack of dedication. He was "barely" eligible to start the year and he basically flunked his last semester and couldn't play in his bowl game. So far discipline and self preservation are lacking but man when he breachs the middle faster than a end can turn the corners I get a chubby.

Why are we not talking about Hankins more?

THIS. Getting in shape right before the draft after being way too fat before makes me nervous.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

THIS. Getting in shape right before the draft after being way too fat before makes me nervous.

These guys aren't aloud to practice that much and dieting in college is suspect.

Plus he has to attend some classes a work a little on the books. A big guy like this has to focus 100% on his body or it wil baloon. He might finally have that chance.

I dunno.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FearItself:
Originally posted by blm7754:

I completely agree. Any 4 of those would be tremendous. I like BW as well, but I wonder if he'll last till our late 2nd.

I like Brandon Williams, and the more I think about a demonstrated ability to get after the passer, the more I like Sly Williams as a DE.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
These guys aren't aloud to practice that much and dieting in college is suspect.

Plus he has to attend some classes a work a little on the books. A big guy like this has to focus 100% on his body or it wil baloon. He might finally have that chance.

I dunno.

You may be right. Seems risky though. I think people are overrating his worth. He reminds me of Terrance Cody and he went at the end of the 2nd.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Idk thought. He has already showed a lack of dedication. He was "barely" eligible to start the year and he basically flunked his last semester and couldn't play in his bowl game. So far discipline and self preservation are lacking but man when he breachs the middle faster than a end can turn the corners I get a chubby.

Why are we not talking about Hankins more?

Because this is a thread about Jenkins?

In anycase, the 49ers have brought in Jenkins for a private workout, they haven't done the same for Hankins as far as I know, that is all we have to go on at this point.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone