LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

PTulini's Mock Draft - Version 1.0 (03/20/2013)

I don't get the argument to draft Jones or Hunt over Jesse or Sly Williams...the front 3's job isn't to get to the QB...it's to collapse the pocket so Aldon & Ahmad can. Justin Smith has given us QB pressures because he's simply a beast...not many guys can do what he does. On top of that, he can play DT as well as DE. That very fact is why I agree w/PT, draft a guy who can play DE and NT/DT. You won't see Jones or Hunt at DT...and being limited in that way doesn't give Fangio/Harbaugh the biggest bang for the buck. My personal fave is Sly Williams, who has the size, versatility and quickness to be effective...but, I wouldn't be disappointed to get Jesse. About the only thing I might change through rd 4 is to take a swing OT instead of Schwenke...because Kilgore and Looney are waiting in the wings to take over for Goodwin. I think Looney could be the next Newberry at C...he's big, tough and has a nasty streak that we haven't seen since Jeremy left. Instead, I think I'd take a swing OT, to give our OL max versatility and some insurance should AD or Staley go down. I know we have Boone, but he's getting somewhat entrenched as the RG. Looney could take over for him, but I'd really like to see him replace Goodwin. Only other potential change would be to take a second S, instead of 2 CB's, especially if we sign Asomugha. Overall, very good mock.
Best mock I seen yet. The only problem with mocks unfortunately they are hardly ever right when it comes to Trent and Jim. I love the Colin Klein pickup but I think he will be taken in the 5th round to a team wanting to do a read option based offense trend. I really like the Vernon pick as well. He seems to have a lot of value and upside at WR/special teams. The Jesse Williams pick is spot on IMO. The dude replaces Soap at DT and in the heavy bunch set as an extra blocker (just as Soap did). Rodgers is my man crush of the draft and with Ertz you can not go wrong with needing depth at TE since we run a two TE formation set most of the time. I can really see him taking over for Vernon Davis in the future. I still think we need to draft a Center for next year even though Goodwin will be gone and we stil have Looney. Great mock Pat!
I'm digging that Vernon guy from Duke. White guy can ball!!
Have to admit, I don't understand why Baalke would draft a DE like Jones or Hunt when players like the Williams (Jesse & Sly) are available. The role of the DE isn't to rush the QB in the 3-4, it's to collapse the pocket so Aldon & Ahmad can. That said, I see considerably more value in drafting one of the Williams'...so I agree w/PT. Justin Smith gets pressure on the QB, but he's the rare exception. I honestly can't see either Jones or Hunt play DT...so taking Jesse or Sly would give Fangio/Harbaugh more bang for their buck. I like the mock...a lot. Only changes I might make would be to take a swing OT in lieu of Schenke...because Harbaugh has Kilgore and Looney waiting in the wings to replace Goodwin. I think Looney has the makings of a beast at C...he's big, tough and has a nasty streak we haven't seen the likes of since Newberry. The other thing is I might take two S instead of CB's, especially if Baalke signs Asomugha. Other than that, I'd say it's one of the best mocks I've seen.
Oh crap, I didn't see my earlier post...disregard the second, it says the same thing.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Best mock I seen yet. The only problem with mocks unfortunately they are hardly ever right when it comes to Trent and Jim. I love the Colin Klein pickup but I think he will be taken in the 5th round to a team wanting to do a read option based offense trend. I really like the Vernon pick as well. He seems to have a lot of value and upside at WR/special teams. The Jesse Williams pick is spot on IMO. The dude replaces Soap at DT and in the heavy bunch set as an extra blocker (just as Soap did). Rodgers is my man crush of the draft and with Ertz you can not go wrong with needing depth at TE since we run a two TE formation set most of the time. I can really see him taking over for Vernon Davis in the future. I still think we need to draft a Center for next year even though Goodwin will be gone and we stil have Looney. Great mock Pat!

Jesse Williams will be a better player than Soap ever was. There is a reason why Williams is a 1st round prospect and Soap was a 5th rounder. Williams has the strength and power that Soap did, plus the quickness and athleticism to make plays that Soap didn't. I view him as more of a Haloti Ngata type of player than Soap.

Da'Rick Rogers is going to be the best WR from this draft.... I'm calling it now.

Not sure I see Zach Ertz replacing Vernon Davis. Davis is a rare athlete that I hope is with the 49ers until he retires. But having a quality backup waiting in the wings will be important to have in a couple years when we try to extend Davis.... and in the meantime they can team up to shred defenses in the red-zone.
Id take it, i luv it. I think vernon drops to the slot. Thomas is a ball hawk, jesse is a good de prospect. This is a great mock broski.
I don't know that Washington is there in the 5th, but I'd be pretty happy with this draft.
I know some of these picks might not be available where I have them slotted to go, but you never know? I did the best I could to be realistic. I might do one or two more before draft night? Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate the feedback!
Originally posted by PTulini:
I know some of these picks might not be available where I have them slotted to go, but you never know? I did the best I could to be realistic. I might do one or two more before draft night? Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate the feedback!

Everyone on the WZ should use MD's placement for their mocks. Not only because he's been as accurate or more accurate than other experts in the past, but mostly because it gives us all a common platform and then when we debate mocks we can at least debate the picks rather than debate who will or won't be there.

Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

Everyone on the WZ should use MD's placement for their mocks. Not only because he's been as accurate or more accurate than other experts in the past, but mostly because it gives us all a common platform and then when we debate mocks we can at least debate the picks rather than debate who will or won't be there.

With all due respect to MD, I use a combination of sources.
PT, am I right in inferring you don't think DE is a big need for us right now? You don't draft anyone remotely capable to provide depth behind Justin Smith unless you count your 7th rounder.

EDIT: I guess the bolded isn't true since Jesse has versatility to line up different places. But I guess I assumed you see him as our starting NT, and I'm shocked you only draft one DL until the 7th round.
[ Edited by LieutKaffee on Mar 20, 2013 at 6:20 PM ]

Fair enough, haha. Yours may be more accurate for all I know. When I first started browsing this board a few years ago everyone used MD's board for mocks for consistency, so I thought I'd throw it out.

Fair enough, haha. Yours may be more accurate for all I know. When I first started browsing this board a few years ago everyone used MD's board for mocks for consistency, so I thought I'd throw it out.

It's all good.
PT, am I right in inferring you don't think DE is a big need for us right now? You don't draft anyone remotely capable to provide depth behind Justin Smith unless you count your 7th rounder.

EDIT: I guess the bolded isn't true since Jesse has versatility to line up different places. But I guess I assumed you see him as our starting NT, and I'm shocked you only draft one DL until the 7th round.

I'm still not sure how we plan on using Glenn Dorsey? In my opinion, he isn't a NT. Drafting a guy like Jesse Williams will allow us to be more versatile. And yes, I really like Glenn Foster as a developmental DL prospect.
[ Edited by PTulini on Mar 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone