There are 282 users in the forums

Combine thread

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Short pulled a hammy, Jones simply opted out. Jones' decision, to me, reeks of, "I am going to look average at the combine, so I shouldn't be there for the comparison".

Ertz's T-Rex arms, ala Giada De Laurentiis, not a good thing. I think some teams are going to move him down their boards. The rest of the TE class looks solid: Eifert, Kelce, Escobar, etc.

The top end of the OT board cleared all the initial measurable hurdles. Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson are virtual clones in the 6'6"-6'7", 305-310 area with 34 inch arms. Both guards at the top of the board: Warmack and Cooper, came in lighter than expected, as did DJ Fluker, who has nearly 37" arms. Looks like all of them are taking the process seriously.

Travis Frederick, who most consider the top center in this class, also came in at 6'4", 312, with 33" arms, all fine measurables for an interior lineman. Barret Jones came in nicely at 6'4", 306, and 34 inch arms, making him attractive at nearly all positions across the OL.

SMH at Jarvis Jones. Not a good move at all.
Short pulled a hammy, Jones simply opted out. Jones' decision, to me, reeks of, "I am going to look average at the combine, so I shouldn't be there for the comparison".

Ertz's T-Rex arms, ala Giada De Laurentiis, not a good thing. I think some teams are going to move him down their boards. The rest of the TE class looks solid: Eifert, Kelce, Escobar, etc.

The top end of the OT board cleared all the initial measurable hurdles. Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson are virtual clones in the 6'6"-6'7", 305-310 area with 34 inch arms. Both guards at the top of the board: Warmack and Cooper, came in lighter than expected, as did DJ Fluker, who has nearly 37" arms. Looks like all of them are taking the process seriously.

Travis Frederick, who most consider the top center in this class, also came in at 6'4", 312, with 33" arms, all fine measurables for an interior lineman. Barret Jones came in nicely at 6'4", 306, and 34 inch arms, making him attractive at nearly all positions across the OL.
What about Escobar in the 3rd? Will he still be there at 9ers 2nd 3rd rounder?
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
What about Escobar in the 3rd? Will he still be there at 9ers 2nd 3rd rounder?

Ive seen him ranked ahead of ertz on some boards but honestly I dont even see TE being taken in the 1st. Just doesnt happen often. I think we could find a great talent with the caro pick.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Ive seen him ranked ahead of ertz on some boards but honestly I dont even see TE being taken in the 1st. Just doesnt happen often. I think we could find a great talent with the caro pick.

With he lack of DL reserves and uncertainty at WR, I would love to see the 9ers draft a compliment to VD and get some secondary help in the mid rounds.
With he lack of DL reserves and uncertainty at WR, I would love to see the 9ers draft a compliment to VD and get some secondary help in the mid rounds.

He was already on the roster last year. Did you see his stats and efficiency. Yeah, he dropped a few passes, but his production soared with the qb change. All we need to do is resign him. He could be a starter on many teams. Yeah..., his name IS Delanie Walker.
Notes on measurements:

TE: Oddly Ertz's arm length is about 2 inches shorter than it should be. Tyler Eiffert, Nick Kasa have a bit small on hands. Don't think anyones stock is really taking a hit.

OL: Waiting for height to come in. Arm Length, Jordan Devey, Justin Pugh, Brian Winters have shorter arms and are looking more like Guards at the NFL level. Joe Madsen, Center, has REALLY short arms at 30inches. OT Chris Faulk, whow as injured for almost the whole season, is about 5-10lbs over weight
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
He was already on the roster last year. Did you see his stats and efficiency. Yeah, he dropped a few passes, but his production soared with the qb change. All we need to do is resign him. He could be a starter on many teams. Yeah..., his name IS Delanie Walker.

Duh. But you think he is going to take back up money to play back up for 9ers. He should get paid starter money and go to a team where he will start, a la Morgan last year. We can't keep everyone, and the 9ers don't over pay, especially for a back up.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

Duh. But you think he is going to take back up money to play back up for 9ers. He should get paid starter money and go to a team where he will start, a la Morgan last year. We can't keep everyone, and the 9ers don't over pay, especially for a back up.

Yes I do.
Thats a guaranteed Yes!
Originally posted by SF69ers:

SMH at Jarvis Jones. Not a good move at all.

I agree. I would really have doubts about any player that was 100% healthy and didnt work out at the combine.

I absolutely believe Delanie stays in SF. He's an integral part of what the 49ers do. He might not make starter money, but, hey - and this is strictly my opinion - if I had a chance to keep going deep into the playoffs and making it to the super bowl a few more times, I'd stay, too, rather than taking starter money from a team that perennially misses the playoffs.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Draftmetrics has ten articles about the importance of the combine drills

http://www.draftmetrics.com/

Here they are.

1. Adding Perspective to NFL Combine Results: Part 1

http://www.draftmetrics.com/files/Addding%20Perspective%20to%20NFL%20Combine%20Results1.pdf

2. Adding Perspective to NFL Combine Results: Part 2

http://www.draftmetrics.com/files/Adding%20Perspective%20to%20NFL%20Combine%20Results2.pdf

3. The Combine Chronicles: Wide Receivers

http://www.draftmetrics.com/files/The%20Combine%20ChroniclesWR.pdf

4. The Combine Chronicles: Quarterbacks

http://www.draftmetrics.com/files/The%20Combine%20ChroniclesQB.pdf

5. The Combine Chronicles: Running Backs

http://www.draftmetrics.com/files/The%20Combine%20ChroniclesRB.pdf

6. The Combine Chronicles: Defensive Ends

http://www.draftmetrics.com/files/The%20Combine%20ChroniclesDE.pdf

7. The Combine Chronicles: Defensive Tackles

http://www.draftmetrics.com/files/The%20Combine%20ChroniclesDT.pdf

8. The Combine Chronicles: Linebackers

http://www.draftmetrics.com/files/The%20Combine%20ChroniclesLB.pdf

9. The Combine Chronicles: Cornerbacks

http://www.draftmetrics.com/files/The%20Combine%20ChronicleCB.pdf

10. The Combine Chronicles: Safeties

http://www.draftmetrics.com/files/The%20Combine%20ChronicleS.pdf
  • buck
  • Veteran
sorry double post
[ Edited by buck on Feb 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM ]
Dion Sims slimmed down quite a bit, guess he took those slow and fat comments to heart, damn. Want to see what he runs at that weight.
Either you are attempting to post from an outside domain or your firewall/anti-virus software does not allow HTTP_REFERER to be seen. If you have firewall/anti-virus software or hardware installed, check with your firewall/anti-virus vender to learn how to enable this feature.
Originally posted by Beeker:

I absolutely believe Delanie stays in SF. He's an integral part of what the 49ers do. He might not make starter money, but, hey - and this is strictly my opinion - if I had a chance to keep going deep into the playoffs and making it to the super bowl a few more times, I'd stay, too, rather than taking starter money from a team that perennially misses the playoffs.

If that is the case, he is either a fool or we will get extremely lucky. And it's highly unlikely either happens. I'd love for him to stay, and at a rate that makes sense for the team, but the only way (IMO) that happens is if the market for him never really develops and the difference between the contract to stay in SF and "starter money" elsewhere is limited. If SF only wants/can afford to pay him solid back up money, which for a TE would be maybe $2 to $2.5 mil a year (his cap hit was $1.9 mil last year, and many teams don't pay their starting TE that kind of money) and another team is willing to pay him top TE money at $3.5 to $4.5+ per year for 5 years, he would be foolish not to take it.

Given the pay rate at his position, his age and the likelihood of ever getting a bigger or better contract, he owes it to himself and his family to get that extra $7-$10+ million. That's life changing, career altering money.

We aren't talking about a star player at a premium position who has already made $20 million just for being drafted and might take a $55 million contract instead of a $62 million contract to stay with his team who won't miss the extra money. The difference between us giving him maybe between a $12-$15 million deal vs someone else breaking the bank to sign him as a number one and going $20-$25 million or more would be too great to pass up.

The only way he stays is if that market doesn't develop for him as a starter. But considering the cap hit for guys like Greg Olsen, Marcedes Lewis or Owen Daniels is well north of $5 mill next year, it's hard for me to think someone won't offer him at least $3-4 mil a year or more, and I don't see how we have the cap to match that when we can draft/sign a backup TE for probably under $1 mil a year and spend the remaining money on more necessary areas of the team.

And if there is that big of a gap in what we can pay vs what other teams may offer, it's unrealistic to think he would stay here for a significantly lower contract.
Share 49ersWebzone