LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Combine thread

Phoenix on a roll today. Nice pics.
When I look at the measurables from today, I am impressed on how the vast majority of these guys are taking the process seriously. Nearly every lineman has trimmed some, or a lot of excess weight, in order to impress. Years ago, at the combine, a lot of the lineman seemed out of shape, flabby, etc.. However, these 6'6", 305 pound guys these days are a different breed. Few have that monster gut that we used to see about 5-10 years ago.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
What about Escobar in the 3rd? Will he still be there at 9ers 2nd 3rd rounder?

Maybe, but he looks like a guy who could make a run into the second round. I tend to doubt he will be there when the Niners pick in the 90s
Escobar was a guy I was looking at whether we keep Delanie or not. I think we can add another target for Kaep in the redzone and Kaep seems to enjoy to throw the jump ball (mainly to moss) in the endzone. You never know if Delanie or VD will get hurt either. We have needs on the team but as we have learned from the previous 2 seasons (wrs and Dline), we can use quality depth at all positions.

I saw a nice mock draft on draft tek that had us taking Jesse Willaims(1st), Jonathan Crypien(2nd), Escobar(early 3rd) and Margus Hunt(late 3rd).
Originally posted by SF69ers:
was there a reason why the bolded players decided not to work out?

Short has a hamstring injury that he's trying to work through. Should be 100% at his pro-day.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Apparently Walker has played better with Kaepernick

And as the chart shows, Walker's production spiked when the 49ers replaced Alex Smith with Colin Kaepernick at quarterback.

Well, the formatting of the chart did not transfer correctly.

Here is the link to the article and chart.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/72572/delanie-walker-and-the-49ers-to-do-list

Originally posted by buck:
Apparently Walker has played better with Kaepernick

And as the chart shows, Walker's production spiked when the 49ers replaced Alex Smith with Colin Kaepernick at quarterback.

Well, the formatting of the chart did not transfer correctly.

Here is the link to the article and chart.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/72572/delanie-walker-and-the-49ers-to-do-list

He was still dropping passes left and right. I'm sure....lol, I know people have various opinions about Walker, I started about a 40 page thread about him on the main page but here's my reasoning on why the 49ers should upgrade.

A. The Red Zone-Delanie doesn't really provide much help in the red-zone. He's a wide body but he's not a great leaper by any means. He's also 6 feet tall. The shortest tight-end in the NFL. This team had more problems punching the ball into the endzone than they did moving it down the field, that's something that needs to be improved upon.

B. The drops are killer, its tough to rely a guy who will drop 30% of the passes sent his way. Now this year may have been especially bad, but Walker has been dropping passes his entire career, his hands won't just magically improve 8 years into his NFL career, it just doesn't happen.

C. I feel like he's going to be out of the 49ers price-range, he's a good player but how much does Baalke actually value him at?

The most successful teams allow talented players to walk in place of overpaying. Is Walker talented? Yes. Is he replaceable? Yes. The Niners have big money tied up in key players, with other key players due for extensions soon, I.E. Goldson, Kaep, etc.

I really hope they follow the Steelers, Patriots model are restock through the draft. No need to overpay.
f**k the combine
Originally posted by Butter:
The most successful teams allow talented players to walk in place of overpaying. Is Walker talented? Yes. Is he replaceable? Yes. The Niners have big money tied up in key players, with other key players due for extensions soon, I.E. Goldson, Kaep, etc.

I really hope they follow the Steelers, Patriots model are restock through the draft. No need to overpay.

Follow the Steelers/ Patriots model?!?!?!

I love the NINER MODEL! Extending Bowman at a bargain because I would argue he is better than Willis, not a harder hitter but BETTER! Resigning Brooks to Extensions at a super bargain, contract clause that de-escalates the contract. C. Rodgers could have got more loot elsewhere but in the end he took less bc it was a WIN WIN situation. We didn't overpay for A. Smith we resigned him at a very trade able contract. And if you look at franchising a player, the cheapest positions are TE and S so more bang for the buck. Maybe we can resign Goldson(pay for his fines) and Franchise Walker?
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
f**k the combine

I know I was watching it and my wife asked me what I was watching sarcastically?....I says I'm watching guys sprint in tights she sits down and watches haha

Friday morning measurables coming in:

Geno Smith- 6'2 3/8", 218
Matt Barkley- 6'2 1/2", 227
Cordarelle Patterson- 6'1 7/8", 216
DeAndre Hopkins- 6'1", 214
Keenan Allen- 6'2, 206
Tavon Austin- 5'8 1/2, 174
Mike Glennon- 6'7", 225
Marquise Goodwin- 5'8 7/8", 183
Ryan Nassib- 6'2 1/8", 227
Ryan Wilson- 6'2 1/8", 215
EJ Manuel- 6'4 5/8", 237
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 22, 2013 at 6:27 AM ]
H
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Short pulled a hammy, Jones simply opted out. Jones' decision, to me, reeks of, "I am going to look average at the combine, so I shouldn't be there for the comparison".

Ertz's T-Rex arms, ala Giada De Laurentiis, not a good thing. I think some teams are going to move him down their boards. The rest of the TE class looks solid: Eifert, Kelce, Escobar, etc.

The top end of the OT board cleared all the initial measurable hurdles. Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson are virtual clones in the 6'6"-6'7", 305-310 area with 34 inch arms. Both guards at the top of the board: Warmack and Cooper, came in lighter than expected, as did DJ Fluker, who has nearly 37" arms. Looks like all of them are taking the process seriously.

Travis Frederick, who most consider the top center in this class, also came in at 6'4", 312, with 33" arms, all fine measurables for an interior lineman. Barret Jones came in nicely at 6'4", 306, and 34 inch arms, making him attractive at nearly all positions across the OL.

SMH at Jarvis Jones. Not a good move at all.
He will show his ability at his proday. Why risk anything now? Guy is all speed no power. He isn't Miller. People will love his speed.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
f**k the combine

Sgt. Oddball: "Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"
More measurables
Denard Robinson- 5'10 1/2", 199
Ace Sanders- 5'7", 173
Kenny Stills- 6' 1/2", 194
Ryan Swope- 6' 1/8, 205
Terrance Williams- 6'2", 208
Robert Woods- 6' 3/8", 201

RB's
Montee Ball- 5'10 1/2", 214
Giovani Bernard- 5'8 3/4", 202
Andre Ellington- 5'9 1/4", 199
Jonathan Franklin- 5'10", 205