LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

How Many Day 1 Starters Do You Think We Get Out Of This Draft?

How Many Day 1 Starters Do You Think We Get Out Of This Draft?

I have a number in mind but I want to see how fellow fans see it first.
Day one? Zero.
I say one. I don't see any rookies starting on D, and I think we land an OG who will win a starting spot
Originally posted by saniner:
I say one. I don't see any rookies starting on D, and I think we land an OG who will win a starting spot

I really want to see Kilgore be the man. It's fun to watch a big guy with a bad disposition. Anthony Davis and Iupati aren't very nice guys on the field, either.
There is a problem in the wording of your question. There are two kinds of starters, guys like Joe Staley who play every play on offense, and than there are starters like Ted Ginn who come in on sub-packages, and special teams.

I'm thinking that we might see a drafted OG start as a rookie. So I voted 1.

But we might actually see 3 or 4 rookies start as part of sub-packages at some point in the season, or from the first game on special teams.
1 if we are lucky
Originally posted by mebemused:
There is a problem in the wording of your question. There are two kinds of starters, guys like Joe Staley who play every play on offense, and than there are starters like Ted Ginn who come in on sub-packages, and special teams.

I'm thinking that we might see a drafted OG start as a rookie. So I voted 1.

But we might actually see 3 or 4 rookies start as part of sub-packages at some point in the season, or from the first game on special teams.
Come now, you know where I'm goin with this, don't muddy this. Lets keep it crisp. Real starters, on offense or defense. I'm not interested in ST "starters" right now. Many starters on D and O play on ST too.
Hopefully none.
1 max
  • cools
  • Veteran
One, If its Zeitler or Silatolu in the first

Zero
the only position where a draftee may start is at RG, IMO. Zeitler or Silatolu would compete with Kilgore and Boone. IMO, you leave Boone as THE swing tackle and use the rook if he earns it.

I don't see any other position where a rook would start except for STs.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by saniner:

I really want to see Kilgore be the man. It's fun to watch a big guy with a bad disposition. Anthony Davis and Iupati aren't very nice guys on the field, either.

When I thought that Kilgore was likely to be a long term answer at RG, I was kind of against drafting rookie RG. But now, I am hoping that Kilgore turns into their OC of the future. If that is the case, they still need a RG otF.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Barring injury my guess is most likely none.

BUT If Harbaugh is true to his word about competition EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME.

Then these are the positions that very well COULD land us new starters.

WR- now obviously that WR would have to come in and put on a show but it's not like Crabs or Mario can't be beat out.

CB- While Rogers played great and Terrell Brown and Cully did ok. Again Brown and Cully could be beat out if a rookie comes in and balls out. Look how Cully shot up the depth chart and he isn't exactly anything special. Though I do like you as a player Cully! just sayin

OLB- Why we paid Brooks that kind of money? If a rookie comes in and balls like Aldon? Brooks will be a backup.

S- Love whitner as a 9er. Plays great but if we were able to land a ball hawking safety..... he too COULD be benched.

NT- Again Soap could also be replaced by a rook if that rook was up to the challenge.

Very very small Outside chance.... RB If we drafted a RB that shows he can do it all and is explosive enough to take it to the house any given play? Again that's assuming Every position is an open competition. Though pass protection very well may keep the rook behind Gore.

Now obviously i'm just playing devil's advocate here. As our team is set as is. But let's not kid ourselves and think that our players are irreplaceable.
Share 49ersWebzone