LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

If all these players are available at #30 who do you pick and why

If all these players are available at #30 who do you pick and why

Of that list, DeCastro hands down would be the pick. He's probably a top 10 guy on most big boards and won't get out of the top 15 though so I'm going to pretend he's not an option.

I know Hill is everyones draft crush but I'm unsure the value is there. I know everyone is clamoring for a tall speedy guy, but I'm unsure if we need a tall speedy guy as a starter and as a high draft pick. I don't think Hill fits Harbaugh's offense as a #1 or #2, as I doubt he'll have one of his two starting receivers running vertical routes almost exclusively. A guy with Hill's skill set seems to be a better fit as a backup in this offense. Someone who can rotate in to provide a vertical threat. I think Harbaugh and Baalke would rather draft a guy more willing to go across the middle to make tough catches and provide explosiveness after the catch (and hopefully Crabtree also will reach his potential in this area) as opposed to making big plays specifically through the air. That's why I think our ideal fit at WR is Kendall Wright. He's a bit small but has never had injury concerns and has an innate knack for finding seams in the defense to create big plays on any route, not just a fly or deep post.

Glenn seems like an ideal fit at RG for us, a mountain with quick feet who would fit our man blocking/pull heavy scheme. But he wouldn't be a fit at C and if the Niners are convinced Kilgore is a long term answer (which they may very well be), then he probably would get bumped down the list a little bit. Then again, Davis hasn't cemented his status as the franchise RT though he has vastly improved, and Glenn could also provide value as a potential RT.

The reasons to draft Fleener are well documented and I don't want to beat a dead horse. On the other hand, the team clearly values and likes Delanie and he seems accepting of his role as the #2 and Vernon and him have a good relationship, I don't think an extension is too unlikely. I know this is contrary to widespread belief on this site but I'm also unsure he's truly a value pick at #30. He's clearly the #1 TE, but that doesn't necessarily make him a round 1 guy. He very well could be, I won't pretend to be a professional scout, but I think the sudden surge of importance and value at the position in addition to his status as the #1 at the position is causing people to overvalue him on talent alone.

Of this list, ultimately I'd say the pick is Konz. He's a Wisconsin guy - a college known for pumping out technically sound lineman - and he plays a position where smarts and technique matter more than anywhere else on the line. He can compete at RG right away. Hell he can probably compete at C right away, I don't know what kind of investment we have monetarily in Goodwin but I remember his contract being rather modest. Either way, he can upgrade the line right now, but more importantly lock down a position of need for many years in the future.
if glenn is there you have to take him

especially if we get lloyd or royal

get marvin joes in 2nd
Would be Baalkes and Harbaughs face if Decastro was there at 30. Maybe they trade up with a 4 or 5th a few spots, but I think it would take too much to trade up to get DeCastro.

Now lets be realistic, Konz is the pick at 30, unless a FA guard signs. If Wright falls to us (not an option on this thread,) I would take him over all of the above.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by westcoastchamp:
what seperates hill from chaz?

Chaz - UDFA Talent from 4 years ago that was only drafted by the raiders in the 7th round because he ran 4.3 40. He's missed 20 games in 4 years due to injury or coaches decision......

Hill - Day 1/early day 2 talent with the talent and skill set to become a #1 in the NFL, he also ran a 4.3 40. Hill missed 2 games in his sophomore year, not sure why, he likely missed several other games his freshman year due to coaches decision.....
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Decastro for sure

Staley, Iupati, __, DeCastro, Davis years to come
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
Would be Baalkes and Harbaughs face if Decastro was there at 30. Maybe they trade up with a 4 or 5th a few spots, but I think it would take too much to trade up to get DeCastro.

Now lets be realistic, Konz is the pick at 30, unless a FA guard signs. If Wright falls to us (not an option on this thread,) I would take him over all of the above.

Agreed. I like him more than hill.

Crab, wright, manningham, moss would be epic. Wright is way better than his combine suggests.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Decastro shouldn't even be on the list. Why not put Blackmon or Richardson if you're going to be unrealistic like that.
BPA-Decastro
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Hill over DeCastro? Some of you have gone full retard.
If all those guys were available.... DeCastro is a no brainer pick.

DeCastro is a no brainer for the simple fact that we need an RG..and that he's rated higher than every single player on this list at #11 overall.
Not to mention that his former college coach is our current coach. its like being a four year pro in this system. Plus he'd address what we need in the first.

Konz and Zeitler tie for second
Originally posted by martysofresh:
DeCastro is a no brainer for the simple fact that we need an RG..and that he's rated higher than every single player on this list at #11 overall.
Not to mention that his former college coach is our current coach. its like being a four year pro in this system. Plus he'd address what we need in the first.

Konz and Zeitler tie for second

I would give Konz the nod in that tie
deCastro at #30 would be mandatory and i would pick him in a second. clever guy as far as one can judge and potential long term pro bowler. will neverever be there at 30, of course.
Decastro would be an absolute lock to be the Niners pick if he was available at #30. He is familiar with the offense and possibly the best OG prospect coming out in years. With Snyder moving on and Rachal getting let go, the Niners would sprint to the podium with the draft card.
This would be a tough decision and reallly dependant on FA.

I'd go w/ DeCastro who would be a probowler in his first year and hold the position 10-12 years baring injury.

Since he won't be ther and neither will Glenn [I know I'm a killjoy] I'm on board with Fleener.
Share 49ersWebzone