LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 322 users in the forums

Coby Fleener - TE Stanford

im on the get the best recieveer bandwagon

unless we lose brooks or rogers we have to go WR in first round (assuming we dont sign colston bowe or VJAX)

if the best guy up is fleener than so be it but i hope he sees the field a lot if we use him as a #rd TE id much rather get a WR who may not be as good but will make more of an impact
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I think I may be leaning towards this bandwagon

in terms of how to spend our 1st round pick he might actually be the best option unless we let brooks walk and need an OLB. o:
Originally posted by sfout:

in terms of how to spend our 1st round pick he might actually be the best option unless we let brooks walk and need an OLB. o:

A lot can happen between now and the draft and I can definitely see the NY Giants taking him with the injuries to Ballard and Beckum.

I know I was against the idea of using our 1st on a TE, but watching Gronk and Hernandez just tear it up last season got me thinking of all the possibilities with VD and Fleener.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

A lot can happen between now and the draft and I can definitely see the NY Giants taking him with the injuries to Ballard and Beckum.

I know I was against the idea of using our 1st on a TE, but watching Gronk and Hernandez just tear it up last season got me thinking of all the possibilities with VD and Fleener.

I think Dwayne Allen is actually a better all purpose TE and dont see Fleener going before Allen unless he has a monstrous 40 time (4.5 - 4.6). I think WF was just stretching the stanford connection and putting this pick for us.

They actually also have the Giants selecting Dwayne Allen with the 32nd pick.

I think Dwayne Allen is actually a better all purpose TE and dont see Fleener going before Allen unless he has a monstrous 40 time (4.5 - 4.6). I think WF was just stretching the stanford connection and putting this pick for us.

Oh I agree for sure. I see Allen looking a lot like Hernandez as far as utilization. Maybe even being used out of the backfield. That's how versatile he is.
Oh I agree for sure. I see Allen looking a lot like Hernandez as far as utilization. Maybe even being used out of the backfield. That's how versatile he is.

aleen has speed to get away from defenders and has great hands

he is a complete mismatch

fleener has decent hand and good sppeed but much better size
  • sfout
  • Veteran

This draft is going to be kind of funny. Everything thinks we dont need TEs or RBs but were going to draft both positions or at least bring in a ton of UDFAs to compete.

I'm really hopeful that we'll draft either Fleener, Evan Rodriguez from Temple or George Bryan from NC State. An early, middle and late round possibilities.
This draft is going to be kind of funny. Everything thinks we dont need TEs or RBs but were going to draft both positions or at least bring in a ton of UDFAs to compete.

I'm really hopeful that we'll draft either Fleener, Evan Rodriguez from Temple or George Bryan from NC State. An early, middle and late round possibilities.

I still like Ladarius Green if we decide to take a TE later in the draft.

This is how I feel now. Im starting to come along on this bandwagon.Fleener, Walker, VD, Crabtree amd Gore on the field at the same time could cause issues for defenses
I read yesterday that j. finely played 46% of his offensive plays in the wr position??? I wonder what Gronk and Hernandez were. Either way, it shows that we can leave VD and Fleener on the field at the same time more than people think.

It doesn't have to be Fleener for me but obviously his Stanford connection and his 6'6 height make him a favorite. He would be another guy that Harbaugh wouldn't have to worry about as much. Meaning his character and effort should already be where Harbaugh needs it to be.

Last year we drafted a first rounder and then traded into the earlier 2nd round to get the guys we wanted. The picks after that also made impacts as well. I don't see why we couldn't do that again. Pick a specific player at 30 and then trade up if we need to get Fleener somewhere in the 2nd. Then keep filling in holes with the picks we have left. Be aggressive and go get at least half of the guys you want.

Originally posted by valrod33:

This is how I feel now. Im starting to come along on this bandwagon.Fleener, Walker, VD, Crabtree amd Gore on the field at the same time could cause issues for defenses

Throughout this thread, I argued against it, but I came to the conclusion that we just need to get more receiving threats. It doesn't matter if it's a receiver or a tight end. Crabtree will continue to progress IMO and we can draft Tommy Streeter or Stephen Hill in the 3rd.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Throughout this thread, I argued against it, but I came to the conclusion that we just need to get more receiving threats. It doesn't matter if it's a receiver or a tight end. Crabtree will continue to progress IMO and we can draft Tommy Streeter or Stephen Hill in the 3rd.

Yup, thats what I thought too
Yup, Sanu in the 1st then Fleener in the 2nd would really boost our options for Alex. In doing that though I feel we would definitely need to resign Brooks and pick up a CB in FA.
Originally posted by smithc28:
Yup, Sanu in the 1st then Fleener in the 2nd would really boost our options for Alex. In doing that though I feel we would definitely need to resign Brooks and pick up a CB in FA.

I dont think he makes out of the 1st, especially with all the success TEs had this year
[ Edited by valrod33 on Feb 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM ]
We need a big receiver, it doesn't matter if he's a TE or WR.

I like Sanu (he's 6 2), and I like Brian Quick (6 5).........if harbaugh really like Fleener than I say get em. Maybe we get a combo of both Quick and Fleener, Sanu and Fleener. We know about missing out on Doug Baldwin last year, I'm sure that burns harbaugh.

And yes, in the playoffs and regular season Vernon was at WR a lot so we can get production from even 3 TE's We need a TE with size or receiver with size or two guys with size. Look how the Patriots used Gronk last year. We need that.
Share 49ersWebzone