LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Would you trade #1 pick and Willis and Davis for rights to Luck

Would you trade #1 pick and Willis and Davis for rights to Luck

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Luck is a fit in a west coast offense and is one of the most athletic QB's in the league (he's a similar athlete to Newton but a little smaller).

Luck is better than Kap in any scheme. I think people are too caught up with comparing stats and don't realize Kap isn't asked to do nearly as much as Luck because he has a running game and a defense. He also has a better line and better receivers (Davis and Crabtree are both better than any of the Colts' receivers and Boldin is as good as Hilton or Wayne who are overrated because they get tons of targets in a passing offense where Luck has no one else to throw to). Kap has a slightly better arm and is a little faster (Luck is an underrated athlete), but Luck is the better quarterback - he's better at going through progressions, more accurate, makes better decisions, and appears to be clutch though it may be too early to say with that. Alex Smith was one of the top rated QB's in the league with the same offense and I don't think anyone would say he's better than Andrew Luck.

Statistically, Nick Foles was a better QB than Tom Brady last year.

It's a pointless thread now, but people underrating Luck because of his supporting cast is probably the most annoying thing to me in sports.

Found myself agreeing with most of this until you compared Newtons athleticism to Lucks. They are not even close.
My opinion, Kap is the QB I would rather have on my team.

Also, Kap is more clutch than Luck. There's no argument there.

You're too quick to knock the Colts secondary, it's a lot better than you think.
Any scheme? I don't know about that.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 16, 2014 at 5:09 PM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Found myself agreeing with most of this until you compared Newtons athleticism to Lucks. They are not even close.

40: 4.67 4.59 4.53
vertical: 36" 35" 32.5"
broad: 124" 126" 115"
3 cone: 6.80 sec 6.92 sec 6.85 sec
20 yd shuttle: 4.28 sec 4.18 sec 4.18 sec
Player: Luck Newton Kaepernick
Height: 6'4 6'5 6'5
Weight: 234 248 233
Hand: 10" 9 7/8" 9 1/4"

Based on combine results, Newton is a slightly better athlete than Luck. I'm not sure if it's a case of seeing skin color or just how he plays, but Luck is one of the most under-appreciated athletes in the NFL. You could make a case that Luck is a more explosive athlete than Kaepernick who is more of a top-end speed long strider which you can see from watching him.

I included hand size because I found it interesting that Kap's hands are the same size as Bridgewater's who is getting knocked for that.
It's funny how similar Newton's numbers are to Khalil Mack's. He has longer arms, a better 40, a better 3 cone and is almost as big. Same shuttle time and only 2" off of Mack's broad jump. All 3 of these guys are freaks at QB.
40: 4.67 4.59 4.53
vertical: 36" 35" 32.5"
broad: 124" 126" 115"
3 cone: 6.80 sec 6.92 sec 6.85 sec
20 yd shuttle: 4.28 sec 4.18 sec 4.18 sec
Player: Luck Newton Kaepernick
Height: 6'4 6'5 6'5
Weight: 234 248 233
Hand: 10" 9 7/8" 9 1/4"

Based on combine results, Newton is a slightly better athlete than Luck. I'm not sure if it's a case of seeing skin color or just how he plays, but Luck is one of the most under-appreciated athletes in the NFL. You could make a case that Luck is a more explosive athlete than Kaepernick who is more of a top-end speed long strider which you can see from watching him.

I included hand size because I found it interesting that Kap's hands are the same size as Bridgewater's who is getting knocked for that.

Do you have the 10 yard split?
Originally posted by eonblue:

I'll try to find it. I did find this video which compared Cam Luck Kaep and Manziel's 40 side by side. It looked like Cam got the best start followed by Luck but Kaepernick passed Luck to finish between Luck and Newton. It does bring into question Cam and Kap's times given Cam finished clearly in first.

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/40-yard-Dash-Kap-vs-Cam-vs-Luck-vs-Manziel/451f1541-58be-4d99-a544-119677ae5d71
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Mar 16, 2014 at 6:02 PM ]
10 yard split:
Luck: 1.62
Newton: 1.58
Kap: 1.62

nflcombineresults.com is really good for finding 10 and 20 yard splits - you can filter by year and position and it has every piece of data.

The 40 times on this site don't match the official 40 times so I'm not sure I have great faith in these splits, but I'm not going to spend more time looking for them. I'll stop posting on the subject though since this ship has sailed and we are about to extend Kaepernick.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Mar 16, 2014 at 6:25 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
This is a thread from 2011 that a "Hall of Famer" decided to bring back from the dead.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I'd practically trade the entire team for Andrew Luck.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Boss, Boss, D plane, D plane.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
This thread =

Of course but Indy wouldn't like that deal, they'd be getting fleeced.
Abc it's as easy as 123
Originally posted by eonblue:

I'll try to find it. I did find this video which compared Cam Luck Kaep and Manziel's 40 side by side. It looked like Cam got the best start followed by Luck but Kaepernick passed Luck to finish between Luck and Newton. It does bring into question Cam and Kap's times given Cam finished clearly in first.

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/40-yard-Dash-Kap-vs-Cam-vs-Luck-vs-Manziel/451f1541-58be-4d99-a544-119677ae5d71

Can someone explain to me how Kaepernicks official time was 4.53 and Newton's was 4.59, but Newton beat Kap in the simulcam side by side video? Those NFL official 40 yard dashes are all screwed up.

Share 49ersWebzone