LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 130 users in the forums

Would you trade #1 pick and Willis and Davis for rights to Luck

Would you trade #1 pick and Willis and Davis for rights to Luck

Originally posted by domingo:
I would not makes this trade. I would simply draft Nick Foles who is real close to being as good as Luck and is having a magnificent season for a crappy team. Foles is the most overlooked player in the nation right now but he will probably end up going very high in the draft and we wont get a shot at him either. Anyway he is my number two QB in the draft.

You should get this guy in your draft room.
Originally posted by Brahn:
You should get this guy in your draft room.

Have you watched the Eagles play under Chip Kelly? Almost any QB in the league could be successful in that offense - they have great speed to spread defenses out, a solid line and a strong running game (and a RB who averages 10 yards per target which is ridiculous but he's a beast). The pace they play at makes life very difficult for opposing defenses and their own defense which is on the field a lot. The Eagles scheme and players inflate Foles' numbers - he's a pretty good QB, but nowhere near Luck who had arguably the worst supporting cast in the league after Wayne went down (Brady and Geno Smith also had terrible receivers but they had better lines and a running game to support them). I still find it unbelievable how many games the Colts have won the past two seasons. A lot of that is luck but a lot of that is also Luck.
let's see the best ILB the last 7+ years (still top 3) the best overall TE in the game who are both locked up to long term deals & very much in our future plans for one guy? We have Kaep, he's our QB. this is a ridiculous trade proposal.
Originally posted by matt49er:
let's see the best ILB the last 7+ years (still top 3) the best overall TE in the game who are both locked up to long term deals & very much in our future plans for one guy? We have Kaep, he's our QB. this is a ridiculous trade proposal.

This is a thread from 2011 that a "Hall of Famer" decided to bring back from the dead.
I'd practically trade the entire team for Andrew Luck.
Originally posted by Niners99:

This is a thread from 2011 that a "Hall of Famer" decided to bring back from the dead.

Frame of reference. The "I told you so" thread at the top of the board was provacative and I remembered this thread from years ago, as the original poster went on a limb. While nearly everyone called him insane, etc. I didn't 't think at the time it was ridiculous at all. Take a read through the whole thread. It is fascinating.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Frame of reference. The "I told you so" thread at the top of the board was provacative and I remembered this thread from years ago, as the original poster went on a limb. While nearly everyone called him insane, etc. I didn't 't think at the time it was ridiculous at all. Take a read through the whole thread. It is fascinating.

Who would still want to do this? It was a dumb idea when the OP said it, and its still dumb. We have a franchise QB that has been just as good as Andrew Luck so far in their careers. And we still have Willis and VD performing at pro bowl levels.

The OP sounds like someone who just blurts out impulse ideas. The "We should trade a buttload to try and pick the best QB prospect since Elway" idea isnt exactly original. Any time there is an elite prospect, some drunk zoner makes a thread about how we should just do something crazy and trade half the teams assets for this player. Heck, theres one of those threads about Clowney right NOW.
Boss, Boss, D plane, D plane.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Have you watched the Eagles play under Chip Kelly? Almost any QB in the league could be successful in that offense - they have great speed to spread defenses out, a solid line and a strong running game (and a RB who averages 10 yards per target which is ridiculous but he's a beast). The pace they play at makes life very difficult for opposing defenses and their own defense which is on the field a lot. The Eagles scheme and players inflate Foles' numbers - he's a pretty good QB, but nowhere near Luck who had arguably the worst supporting cast in the league after Wayne went down (Brady and Geno Smith also had terrible receivers but they had better lines and a running game to support them). I still find it unbelievable how many games the Colts have won the past two seasons. A lot of that is luck but a lot of that is also Luck.

Any QB?

Yet Vick lost his job, and when did I mention Luck? Let alone so many times?

If the offense of the Eagles was is so amazing, it would be easier to trade for Chip Kelly than Luck.
[ Edited by Brahn on Mar 15, 2014 at 11:43 AM ]
Who would still want to do this? It was a dumb idea when the OP said it, and its still dumb. We have a franchise QB that has been just as good as Andrew Luck so far in their careers. And we still have Willis and VD performing at pro bowl levels.

The OP sounds like someone who just blurts out impulse ideas. The "We should trade a buttload to try and pick the best QB prospect since Elway" idea isnt exactly original. Any time there is an elite prospect, some drunk zoner makes a thread about how we should just do something crazy and trade half the teams assets for this player. Heck, theres one of those threads about Clowney right NOW.

This x1000.

Luck is good, but he's not nearly the transcendent QB people seem to think he is.

Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
This x1000.

Luck is good, but he's not nearly the transcendent QB people seem to think he is.

Originally posted by Brahn:
Any QB?

Yet Vick lost his job, and when did I mention Luck? Let alone so many times?

If the offense of the Eagles was is so amazing, it would be easier to trade for Chip Kelly than Luck.

Vick would have played very well in that offense as well - losing his job doesn't mean he wouldn't have put up great stats in Chip Kelly's offense. The offense isn't successful entirely because of Kelly and the fast paced way they run their offense doesn't allow their defense to rest as much so I'm not advocating doing it, but there's also no denying that it pads the stats of their offense because it puts more pressure on the defense. The same thing is going on in college football right now. Foles is in the best situation of any QB in the league right now with a solid offensive line, a top 3 RB in the league, Desean Jackson who commands a ton of attention from defenses, and a coach who is willing to turn games into shootouts and not allow either defense to rest. You have to take Foles' passer rating with a grain of salt given the circumstances. On the other hand, the Colts have a terrible offensive line, no running game, and terrible receivers (with the exception of Hilton now and Wayne before the injury who are decent). Watching him, he looks like a top 5 QB in the league already but he is in arguably the worst position to put up a high passer rating with the lack of talent around him and how much he has to carry the team. He is much better than Kaepernick or Foles and was as close to a sure thing as there has been for awhile. I'd rather have Kaepernick, Willis, and Davis, but there was no guarantee a second round QB would turn out the way he has.
This thread =

You play too much Madden son.
This is a bad thread.
Not to mention we run a west coast mobile QB scheme.
Plus, I like Kap under Harbs more than Luck (yes I know luck went to Stanford)
Originally posted by Quest4six:
This is a bad thread.
Not to mention we run a west coast mobile QB scheme.
Plus, I like Kap under Harbs more than Luck (yes I know luck went to Stanford)

Luck is a fit in a west coast offense and is one of the most athletic QB's in the league (he's a similar athlete to Newton but a little smaller).

Luck is better than Kap in any scheme. I think people are too caught up with comparing stats and don't realize Kap isn't asked to do nearly as much as Luck because he has a running game and a defense. He also has a better line and better receivers (Davis and Crabtree are both better than any of the Colts' receivers and Boldin is as good as Hilton or Wayne who are overrated because they get tons of targets in a passing offense where Luck has no one else to throw to). Kap has a slightly better arm and is a little faster (Luck is an underrated athlete), but Luck is the better quarterback - he's better at going through progressions, more accurate, makes better decisions, and appears to be clutch though it may be too early to say with that. Alex Smith was one of the top rated QB's in the league with the same offense and I don't think anyone would say he's better than Andrew Luck.

Statistically, Nick Foles was a better QB than Tom Brady last year.

It's a pointless thread now, but people underrating Luck because of his supporting cast is probably the most annoying thing to me in sports.
Share 49ersWebzone