LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 423 users in the forums

MadDog's Final Wrap Up Grade for Niners

Originally posted by fryet:
JH is making a lot of us eat crow this year, myself included. How in the world did he turn around a team so quickly? Is he that good, or was Singletary that bad?

The latter, methinks. We already had the talent, the coach now just know how to use 'em and scheme/gameplan.

Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
OK, OK, OK.....

People -- this isn't Paris, France after the Third Army kicked the Nazi's butt back across the Rhine. Now that, people, was some REAL payback time. This is getting a little over the top. Yes, Maddog was wrong. Yes, he was really wrong. C minus for Aldon Smith? This guy is probably going to win rookie of the year. And he just might be in contention with Kendall Hunter and Chris Culliver.

But, bottom line, Maddog's a 49er fan. We're all 49er fans. We should all share the joy that is winning 49er football again.

So Maddog was wrong? So, he'll never admit that he's wrong? In the end, it's a mighty small hill of beans to be splitting hairs over.
You know, if he'd step up and admit--in a straightforward way--that he was wrong, then maybe he'd get a pass. Plenty of guys have done so.

But not MadDog. He's apparently too good for that. Too important. Too great. Too full of himself.

When things were looking bad for the Niners, he jumped in and tried to pour gasoline on the fire. Among other things, he said that not only was Baalke wrong and incompetent, but that he, MadDog, knew better and could do better.

Now it turns out that Baalke was right, and things aren't so bad in Ninerland after all, where's MadDog? Layin low and avoiding facing up to his own multiple failures and mistaken opinions. No excuse for that.

He doesn't seem much like a Niner fan if he only celebrates when it appears he's right, at the Niner's expense, but disappears when there's Niner success--which coincides with the failure of his own opinions.

With fans like that, who needs the Raiders.
OK, OK, OK.....

People -- this isn't Paris, France after the Third Army kicked the Nazi's butt back across the Rhine. Now that, people, was some REAL payback time. This is getting a little over the top. Yes, Maddog was wrong. Yes, he was really wrong. C minus for Aldon Smith? This guy is probably going to win rookie of the year. And he just might be in contention with Kendall Hunter and Chris Culliver.

But, bottom line, Maddog's a 49er fan. We're all 49er fans. We should all share the joy that is winning 49er football again.

So Maddog was wrong? So, he'll never admit that he's wrong? In the end, it's a mighty small hill of beans to be splitting hairs over.

MadDog is a MadDog fan. This team has been terrible for years, and once we start doing well, does he come back to revel in our unexpected success? Absolutely not. Why? Because he was wrong on several fronts, and reveling in the Niner's success would require him to acknowledge that.
OK, OK, OK.....

MD's posts rank right up at the top of the "Root of the warning" list on this board. His posts deserve every bit of criticism they're getting in this thread.

Don't forget that he not only posted that Baalke drafted badly, his posts trashed Baalke for his FA off season as well, which has also turned out good once the live bullets started flying. Rogers has been fantatstic and been an improvement, Whitner has played well and been an improvement, Akers has played well and been an improvement, Costanso has been a ST stud, McDonald has played very well and been an improvement, Edwards was looking good before his injury and has done way more right than wrong, and Ice is playing well and been an improvement.

Some of our budget and 2nd day FA's are playing better than guys who cost 5x as much.
[ Edited by WINiner on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:35 PM ]
Wow. I am no Maddog fan at all but talk about piling on! I'm surprised that a Moderator would be involved in inciting a situation since that seems to be a warnable offense in the past.
I haven't been interested in all the crow eating or gloating or whatever, because I'm just happy that the Niners are doing well and I assume most other fans, no matter how pessimistic they once were, or still are, are happy as well.

But MadDog is a different story. He's insufferably condescending, arrogant, and rude. He only shows up to put down other posters, put down the team, and act like he's some brilliant football mind, and not only has he not been man enough to say, "hey, I was wrong, and I'm glad I was," he doesn't even show up here to take part in enjoying this incredible winning streak. He deserves the piling on. You reap what you sow.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
OK, OK, OK.....

MadDog is a MadDog fan. This team has been terrible for years, and once we start doing well, does he come back to revel in our unexpected success? Absolutely not. Why? Because he was wrong on several fronts, and reveling in the Niner's success would require him to acknowledge that.
Well said.

Where are MadDog's posts in any of the Aldon Smith threads in Ninertalk? Threads celebrating the kid's success? Rook of the week once, and nominated for a second week in a row. When's MadDog gonna get a better opportunity to step up and say "I was wrong about this kid. . . ."

Its like he's waiting for something bad to happen to Aldon so he can jump in with an "I told ya so" and a pat on his own back.
OK, OK, OK.....

Actually, I have found Maddog to be a huge contributor to the Zone over the years. Plus, when I have directed a question to him specifically, I have always found him to be very gracious in answering.

Is he opinionated? Absolutely. Is he occasionally obnoxious? Possibly, but a number of zoners are on occasion. You all know who you are.

I appreciate MD because he puts in a ton of time to educate himself about college guys and the draft and usually, he is an excellent source, often better than some of the most respected "experts" in the field.

Now, it just so happens that he may have been mistaken this year (and we can all be happy that he was... ). I, for one, hope that he comes back to the Zone soon and expresses himself about the Niners' success.

To sum up, let us appreciate MD's contributions....they have been many.

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Wow. I am no Maddog fan at all but talk about piling on! I'm surprised that a Moderator would be involved in inciting a situation since that seems to be a warnable offense in the past.

Inciting? HELL NO! I just want the guy to man up and admit he's wrong!

To many of times he came in this board and acted like he's a know-it-all type of guy who knows more than the next guy. Just because he was written up once (maybe twice) by Barrows, he thinks he?s the sh*t! It'd be a different story and a different tune from me if he at least acknowledge he was wrong but when did we ever see that? Once??? Twice???? NUH-UH? NEVER. He ridicules opposing arguments and belittles those who don't share his views!

You want to talk about inciting? Dig up some of his post from the past and you tell me who's inciting? If I get reprimanded by the other Mods, so be it!

Originally posted by oldninerdude:
OK, OK, OK.....

Well said.

Where are MadDog's posts in any of the Aldon Smith threads in Ninertalk? Threads celebrating the kid's success? Rook of the week once, and nominated for a second week in a row. When's MadDog gonna get a better opportunity to step up and say "I was wrong about this kid. . . ."

Its like he's waiting for something bad to happen to Aldon so he can jump in with an "I told ya so" and a pat on his own back.

He's around. He's posting. He posted today as a matter of fact. So, he's lurking.

I just wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the guy to show up and say "I was wrong" and start shoveling giant piles of crow into his mouth because he's probably not going to do it. This doesn't appear to be just mindless "fun" for him. It's a little more serious than that, and when he's wrong, it probably rocks his world in a wrong sort of way.

For me? No problem to show up and say I was wrong. This is a fun diversion for me (really fun since we're winning this year). But real life is going home every night to the wife and family. That's what it's all about baby.

I will agree with Kid on one point: The longer he stays away and stays quiet, the more it destroys his credibility on matters like this. And heck, if you're going to be some sort of guru analyst, shouldn't the idea be that you appeal to the widest audience possible? The only way to gain credibility, in my opinion, is to point out successses AND admit when you whiffled.

He whiffled on Baalke. He whiffled on Jed York. He whiffled on the draft, BADLY. Not a bad thing. He's human. We all whiffle from time to time. Christ, look at my screen name.

He should just admit as much and move on.

Originally posted by nw9erfan:
OK, OK, OK.....

Actually, I have found Maddog to be a huge contributor to the Zone over the years. Plus, when I have directed a question to him specifically, I have always found him to be very gracious in answering.

Is he opinionated? Absolutely. Is he occasionally obnoxious? Possibly, but a number of zoners are on occasion. You all know who you are.

I appreciate MD because he puts in a ton of time to educate himself about college guys and the draft and usually, he is an excellent source, often better than some of the most respected "experts" in the field.

Now, it just so happens that he may have been mistaken this year (and we can all be happy that he was... ). I, for one, hope that he comes back to the Zone soon and expresses himself about the Niners' success.

To sum up, let us appreciate MD's contributions....they have been many.

Cheers!
This might just be part of MadDog's problem. Unwittingly you've set the guy up as some kinda guru, so now he can't admit that he was wrong, cause he'd lose face in front of you and any of his other "fans" that might be out there. There are always other posters who come forward with similar sentiments as yours. "But he has a draft board. . . ."

This isn't about his "big board." This is about his failure to show up as a Niner fan now that the Niners are experiencing success, about his willingness to admit that he was wrong--about the draft, about free agency, about Ahmad Brooks, about Trent Baalke, and about this year's team.

Fact is there's lots of very knowledgeable guys who post here. Any one of them would graciously answer your questions--and without thinking that they're God's gift because you asked.
[ Edited by IWasWrongRubber on Oct 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM ]
OK, OK, OK.....

Well said.

He's around. He's posting. He posted today as a matter of fact. So, he's lurking.

I just wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the guy to show up and say "I was wrong" and start shoveling giant piles of crow into his mouth because he's probably not going to do it. This doesn't appear to be just mindless "fun" for him. It's a little more serious than that, and when he's wrong, it probably rocks his world in a wrong sort of way.

For me? No problem to show up and say I was wrong. This is a fun diversion for me (really fun since we're winning this year). But real life is going home every night to the wife and family. That's what it's all about baby.

I will agree with Kid on one point: The longer he stays away and stays quiet, the more it destroys his credibility on matters like this. And heck, if you're going to be some sort of guru analyst, shouldn't the idea be that you appeal to the widest audience possible? The only way to gain credibility, in my opinion, is to point out successses AND admit when you whiffled.

He whiffled on Baalke. He whiffled on Jed York. He whiffled on the draft, BADLY. Not a bad thing. He's human. We all whiffle from time to time. Christ, look at my screen name.

Isn't that the idea behind the "eating crow" threads?

Its not about gloating, or shaming others, its about giving posters a chance to admit they made a mistake in a respectable way, and then move on.

It gives or restores credibility, and that encourages civil discourse and debate. That's what this place is really all about, isn't it?
OK, OK, OK.....

Well said.

Isn't that the idea behind the "eating crow" threads?

Its not about gloating, or shaming others, its about giving posters a chance to admit they made a mistake in a respectable way, and then move on.

It gives or restores credibility, and that encourages civil discourse and debate. That's what this place is really all about, isn't it?

It is. But I guess it's just not going to happen with MadDog.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I haven't been interested in all the crow eating or gloating or whatever, because I'm just happy that the Niners are doing well and I assume most other fans, no matter how pessimistic they once were, or still are, are happy as well.

But MadDog is a different story. He's insufferably condescending, arrogant, and rude. He only shows up to put down other posters, put down the team, and act like he's some brilliant football mind, and not only has he not been man enough to say, "hey, I was wrong, and I'm glad I was," he doesn't even show up here to take part in enjoying this incredible winning streak. He deserves the piling on. You reap what you sow.

This
Share 49ersWebzone