There are 165 users in the forums

MadDog's Final Wrap Up Grade for Niners

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think I will trust Harbaugh and this regime a bit more than people like McShay or even worse amateurs from this website. The draft could be an A+ if Smith and Kap become stars. Check back in 2013 and only then will any grade be relevant.

LOL I wanted to see what I had written in this thread. I think I will stick with my original statement. Still think the abuse on Maddog is a bit over the top though.
Greetings to all. Limited time these days with school in full swing, so just not on the board much. Hardly able to squeeze TV time to watch games, although the game was broadcast in Ohio this week since both teams have been hot. National coverage is a good thing.

Quick hits: I am very pleased with the team this year. Harbaugh is certainly in line for NFL Coach of the Year. The defense has been solid the past few weeks, and the special teams continues to win games for the team. The offense is still unpredictable, but winning on the road is really impressive. I had the team going 6-10 for the year with a 1-5 start, and a better second half. So, they have certainly exceeded my expectations.

As for some of the negative comments directed toward me, I must apology for hurting some of your feelings at some point in the past. Even a mod. Who knew?

As for revisiting the draft, I encourage those who are angry, and feel the need to vent their anger to me, to re-read the opening post. I clearly state that grading at this point is arbitrary and should be taken with a grain of salt as with any analyst. Aldon Smith has been really solid so far, but one member is asking me to "apologize". Bizarre. I have always believed that JJ Watt is the better pro, and we will have to track their progress over time. Being overly confident one way or another will get you a Shawn Merriman or a Rich Gannon. Some guys peak early, some peak late, some are always great, some always stink. Such is the nature of the draft. I am guessing most of the anger in my analysis is directed toward Smith, since I did not like CK, thought Culliver was a good but not great pick, and the rest are the rest. The angry handful of people should hang in there a couple more years before gloating or weeping.

If anyone wants to read my on the board draft, they can visit the Redo thread, where I break down all of the players I selected with my draft. They can also revisit my 2010 draft, which would have landed Mike Iupati, Dez Bryant and Morgan Burnett, instead of Iupati, Davis and Mays. Who knows? Maybe the Niners' combo will be better, but as always, I am sticking to my guns.

As for the comment by one that I called people "stupid", it is simply not true. No need to lie. And, I never dodge issues, run away, etc. The few that are making these comments are more interested in a character assassination than speaking the truth.

As for the homer comment, I stand by it. Too many Niners' fans, in their zeal, overgrade or overrate players simply because they are one of us instead of one of them. In the end, you get polls where CK wins the "Best NFL QB in this draft" with 70% of the vote. So, while it may have given some people a tickle down their leg for me to give all A grades to the players the Niners selected, I simply don't grade that way. For those enraged, don't take it personally. I am not attacking you and your family. I love this team and franchise, and to question that would be absurd. I don't troll.

As for my critique of Baalke, I stand by my comments. I don't like the way he operates. We nearly lost a slam dunk in signing Harbaugh, when other teams swooped in at the last minute because we low-balled him, I don't like the way he moves up and down the board in drafts (if the team really wanted a QB in Round 2, Dalton was the choice), if the team really wanted Peterson, then get him. Too many excuses, including the Taylor Mays selection. "I didn't want him. He was Singletary's pick" is not a good answer when you have the final call (you may refer to Maiocco's article on the matter if you dispute this claim). I don't like that he played the bargain bun hunting drill with free agents, because we now have an extraordinary amount of guys to revisit next season all over again (the team may have to find three new starters in the secondary next year as Spencer is probably a cap casualty and R. Smith, Rogers, and Goldson are free agents). Has Baalke made some goods decisions: absolutely. I just don't like the way he builds a franchise long term.

Have I missed anything? Not sure.

As for oldman, thanks for stalking me by initiating this today. You have become my #1 stalker over the years. Congrats!!!! I will send a t-shirt. I am sure you will continue to trail me across the board, so should I send my itinery to you in advance? Skeptics of the stalking may feel free to review his history... it is quite pathetic, or is it glorious. Either way, it is creepy.

Cheers to all, don't let the angry mob of five ruin your fun. It is a great year to be a Niners' fan.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 19, 2011 at 6:53 PM ]
MadDog49er......you stand by these grades? Come on dude......just say you are off. Or at least say that they are outperforming your draft grades. I will give you props with spending all of your time working on your Draft analysis, because I like to read it and you put your opinion out there, but dude just say you are off on your analysis.

Aldon Smith is easily as A, the guy is a superbeast for the team and just getting better. You are still saying JJ WATT? Over probably the Rookie of the year pick. And the guy has the most sacks per snaps played. ALDON IS BEASTING!!!
Kaepernick - I'll take your C grade for now, but I'm still thinking that the Niners would have drafted Kaepernick. They tried to trade up, but Alex Smith was coming back to the team. Why not take the guy with the higher ceiling. The 49ers made Dalton look very bad after the first drive.
Chris Culliver - I'd give this a B. The guy looks fluid. He's fast and the right size for a corner. I give you credit that you ranked him so high, but why give the guy a C+ when we needed a corner. He doesn't look lost out there and I bet he keeps the nickel back spot.
Hunter is an A - GREAT PICK - I have no bones with your review of a A.
Bruce Miller - I'd give a B - Dude the guy looks fantastic out there. He looks like the best fullback that we have had since Rathman, plus the guy is superraw. But he can catch passes and hit the second level. You gave this pick an F. And he's a starter on the team.

Also on Baalke........You are still hating on the guy for signing some picks for 1 year and cheap and not long term. We offered Goldson long term and he didn't take it. And I'd rather have Carlos Rogers and Braylon Edwards for 1 year than not have them at all. Lots of guys signed for 1 year because they couldn't get the value that he wanted.

And Taylor Mays......Yes thats the Black Mark on Baalke........but I will take the Bowman pick ALL DAY BABY. And you didn't mention at all that he is looking like the second coming of Patrick Willis. Probably the early team defensive MVP.

MADDOGS GRADES BELOW.......

First Round- Aldon Smith- C grade
Smith was the best OLB left on the board when the Niners selected. He does present a need for the team. However, the team intended on selecting a QB along the way, and missed on grabbing the best one in the draft, Blaine Gabbert. Instead, the team selected Colin Kaepernick, who may not be the best fit for the WCO.

As for Smith, he is a good straight ahead rush backer. At the same time, he is not an elite athlete, which is what you want from a guy this high on the board. Smith's shuttle numbers at the combine, which show change of direction skills, was amongst the worst for the DE class. He only pressed the bar 20 times, which is not horrible for a guy with a long wingspan, but still mediocre. Smith's long jump, which measures explosiveness, was average, and his cone time was poor.

So, while he posted good numbers at Missouri, and certainly has a big upside, the current Smith is not an elite Smith, and to me, too risky for the 7th overall. Can he be great? Maybe. But, once again, the team is not drafting in the 15th, or 20th, or 25th spot. This is the 7th overall. Just not good value.

Second Round- Colin Kaepernick- C grade
Don't get me wrong, I think Kaepernick has a chance in the NFL. He has a live arm, is very athletic for a QB, and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. The problem I have? The Niners traded up to get him, but only needed to go two more slots higher to draft the better QB, Andy Dalton, who everybody on this side of the planet knew would go to the Bengals at 35.

Kaepernick has a fairly elongated throwing motion, which is highly problematic in the WCO system, let alone any system in the NFL. The Niners will have to tighten that motion so that he can fit the ball into the window desired. I don't see Kaepernick being ready for the NFL for at least two years.

So, the Niners selected two guys with big upsides, if maximized, but guys who also have a high bust potential, in my estimation.

Third Round- Chris Culliver- C+ grade
This is not as horrific pick as many Niners' fans believe. Culliver appeared to be a reach for many, but I did project him to go in that 80th slot, and there had been some momentum for him as draft day closed in. The kid can run, posting one of the better forties at the combine. Now, can he play corner? Not sure. But, he's an upgrade over the current combination we have at safety right now, where he played for the bulk of his college career, and posted great numbers. Plus, he is a very good kickoff and punt returner (3rd in SEC history). So, he adds some special teams value.

Could be the Niners were targeting the player chosen just before their original third rounder (pick 76), guard John Moffitt of Wisconsin.

So, mini-review: The Niners selected a raw OLB prospect, a raw QB prospect, and a guy who presents good special teams value but may have switch back to safety.

Fourth Round- Kendall Hunter- A grade
Best pick of the draft for the Niners. The team needed a smaller, change of pace back and Hunter can play all three downs. Short, but able to squeeze through holes, has a good second level burst, and can pass protect, as seen in the Senior Bowl practices, where he pleased coaches and scouts. Just a solid, all around back, one that I graded the fourth best overall in this draft.

Fifth Round- Daniel Kilgore- D- grade
Kilgore was a terrific OL for Appalachian State, who showed some versatility at guard and tackle during his college days. It appears the team wants to transition him to center, and while that is a position of need, there were certainly better centers with experience at the position on the board. The kicker, the Niners traded up to get him. Bad, bad value.

Sixth Round- Ronald Johnson and Colin Jones- C- grades
Both players will struggle to make the roster in 2011, as Johnson will be competing for the 4th or 5th WR position, and may find it hard to supplant Williams and Zeigler. Jones, who I like as a player, will have to compete with a bunch of safeties, and maybe even draftee Chris Culliver. Johnson and Jones present good special teams value, as both are fast players. Johnson can return kickoffs, Jones could be a gunner. However, both non-special team positions are pretty well stocked, and I'm not sure I see much of an upgrade. In Johnson's case, the better pick was two selections later, with 3-4 DE David Carter of UCLA. Don't we need a fullback or nose tackle, or backup DE, or center with experience????

Seventh Round- Bruce Miller, Michael Person, Curtis Holcomb- F grades
If you haven't heard enough of me whining about taking college players and shifting them to a different position in the NFL, well I've got more bad news for you. Miller was an outstanding college defender who is slated to play fullback. That was news to everyone, including Miller. Person was a really good college OT being shifted to guard, and who knows with Holcomb....nose tackle. Maybe the team thinks it can throw another 140 pounds onto his 190 pound frame. Didn't we just try to convert another defender, wait for the last name....Miller... to fullback last year? Is it in the owner's guidelines that we convert a Miller every year from defense to offense? Color me confused.

Final grade- C-
old school you cant give these grades now, Maddog did his thing months ago. Shady to even compare the grades now, his grades we're from what he seen in college, your's are 6 weeks into the season. Alot of college players catch on to the pro game better then they did in college football. I think Culliver is a perfect example. I think your accurate now in your grades but you get no merrit for putting them against Maddogs rankings from shortly after the draft.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Greetings to all. Limited time these days with school in full swing, so just not on the board much. Hardly able to squeeze TV time to watch games, although the game was broadcast in Ohio this week since both teams have been hot. National coverage is a good thing.

Quick hits: I am very pleased with the team this year. Harbaugh is certainly in line for NFL Coach of the Year. The defense has been solid the past few weeks, and the special teams continues to win games for the team. The offense is still unpredictable, but winning on the road is really impressive. I had the team going 6-10 for the year with a 1-5 start, and a better second half. So, they have certainly exceeded my expectations.

As for some of the negative comments directed toward me, I must apology for hurting some of your feelings at some point in the past. Even a mod. Who knew?

As for revisiting the draft, I encourage those who are angry, and feel the need to vent their anger to me, to re-read the opening post. I clearly state that grading at this point is arbitrary and should be taken with a grain of salt as with any analyst. Aldon Smith has been really solid so far, but one member is asking me to "apologize". Bizarre. I have always believed that JJ Watt is the better pro, and we will have to track their progress over time. Being overly confident one way or another will get you a Shawn Merriman or a Rich Gannon. Some guys peak early, some peak late, some are always great, some always stink. Such is the nature of the draft. I am guessing most of the anger in my analysis is directed toward Smith, since I did not like CK, thought Culliver was a good but not great pick, and the rest are the rest. The angry handful of people should hang in there a couple more years before gloating or weeping.

If anyone wants to read my on the board draft, they can visit the Redo thread, where I break down all of the players I selected with my draft. They can also revisit my 2010 draft, which would have landed Mike Iupati, Dez Bryant and Morgan Burnett, instead of Iupati, Davis and Mays. Who knows? Maybe the Niners' combo will be better, but as always, I am sticking to my guns.

As for the comment by one that I called people "stupid", it is simply not true. No need to lie. And, I never dodge issues, run away, etc. The few that are making these comments are more interested in a character assassination than speaking the truth.

As for the homer comment, I stand by it. Too many Niners' fans, in their zeal, overgrade or overrate players simply because they are one of us instead of one of them. In the end, you get polls where CK wins the "Best NFL QB in this draft" with 70% of the vote. So, while it may have given some people a tickle down their leg for me to give all A grades to the players the Niners selected, I simply don't grade that way. For those enraged, don't take it personally. I am not attacking you and your family. I love this team and franchise, and to question that would be absurd. I don't troll.

As for my critique of Baalke, I stand by my comments. I don't like the way he operates. We nearly lost a slam dunk in signing Harbaugh, when other teams swooped in at the last minute because we low-balled him, I don't like the way he moves up and down the board in drafts (if the team really wanted a QB in Round 2, Dalton was the choice), if the team really wanted Peterson, then get him. Too many excuses, including the Taylor Mays selection. "I didn't want him. He was Singletary's pick" is not a good answer when you have the final call (you may refer to Maiocco's article on the matter if you dispute this claim). I don't like that he played the bargain bun hunting drill with free agents, because we now have an extraordinary amount of guys to revisit next season all over again (the team may have to find three new starters in the secondary next year as Spencer is probably a cap casualty and R. Smith, Rogers, and Goldson are free agents). Has Baalke made some goods decisions: absolutely. I just don't like the way he builds a franchise long term.

As for oldman, thanks for stalking me by initiating this today. You have become my #1 stalker over the years. Congrats!!!! I will send a t-shirt. I am sure you will continue to trail me across the board, so should I send my itinery to you in advance? Skeptics of the stalking may feel free to review his history... it is quite pathetic, or is it glorious. Either way, it is creepy.

Cheers to all, don't let the angry mob of five ruin your fun. It is a great year to be a Niners' fan.

All I got out of this pile of garbage is more hot air. And as for your reply:

Quote:

I've voiced my opinion of you long ago. And I even PM'd you in what I think of your posting habits. So yes, YOU KNEW.

I had to re-read your post just to look for those words I was looking for and even after a lengthy reply, YOU STILL CAN'T SAY YOUR WRONG.

And I think Hessian put it best:

Originally posted by HessianDud:
But MadDog is a different story. He's insufferably condescending, arrogant, and rude. He only shows up to put down other posters, put down the team, and act like he's some brilliant football mind, and not only has he not been man enough to say, "hey, I was wrong, and I'm glad I was," he doesn't even show up here to take part in enjoying this incredible winning streak. He deserves the piling on. You reap what you sow.

Props to MadDog for coming in to (sort of) face the music. But yeah, Aldon Smith is a star.
I actually like to read Maddog's posts. I dont agree with MUCH of what he says and didnt agree with his ratings from the beginning. However, the guy certainly has the right to give his grades and doesnt owe it to anyone to come in and say he was wrong. If he feels that Watt was a better choice than Smith so be it. That is his right. I dont for a second think he knows more than Balke or any professional scout because he simply cannot watch as much of a college player than they can.

He isnt wrong with facts. His grading of the draft may simply prove out to be wrong on occasion as would most people that actually attempt to put grades on a draft right away.

You have narcisstic personality disorder like a m*therf**ker...you need help dude...

lol wtf? Can't tell if serious...

Originally posted by norcal49er864:
You have narcisstic personality disorder like a m*therf**ker...you need help dude...

I agree but you guys do realize that he prolly gets off to all of the attention. I've worked with ppl like him...best thing to do is just ignore him.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
lol. he finally showed up and posted that? what basement dwelling loser.
I bet his farts smell like raw sewage too.
its only been 6 games so far

why the f**k are we handing out grades right now

lets wait till year 3 or at least the end of next year
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Isn't that the idea behind the "eating crow" threads?

Its not about gloating, or shaming others, its about giving posters a chance to admit they made a mistake in a respectable way, and then move on.

It gives or restores credibility, and that encourages civil discourse and debate. That's what this place is really all about, isn't it?

Nobody cares what you have to say, and that must eat at you day and night. Now, if you want to have some credibility, go out there yourself, and put your thoughts to the public, instead of clinging to me like a boat barnacle, hoping somebody notices something you say.
Share 49ersWebzone