LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 165 users in the forums

combine thread (watch live)

Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by valrod33:
WesBunting

NFL #Combine talk...interesting that #Georgia WR A.J. Green admitted to preparation being one of his weakness...not good #NFLDRAFT

I can see AJ Green falling. We could have a very tough decision to make come draft day. It could come down to Quinn, Miller, & Green. I would say Peterson but if them other 3 guys fall then someone would have had to pick Peterson by #7.

If that was the case, I'd take Quinn in a heartbeat. I think he's Demarcus Ware V2.
I think the reason some of you are having a let down this year, was last year we had two picks and only one in the first this year. Plus the uncertainty to not seeing the niners go after free agents before the draft this year makes it hard to guess what our beloved niners will do, much less the other teams and how it effects the draft.
Originally posted by WildBill:
I think the reason some of you are having a let down this year, was last year we had two picks and only one in the first this year. Plus the uncertainty to not seeing the niners go after free agents before the draft this year makes it hard to guess what our beloved niners will do, much less the other teams and how it effects the draft.

This

We can't get excited about the Niners until we have a QB. David Carr is hot garbage and should only be kept on the roster if we cannot sign 3 other QBs during the offseason. Can you imagine Carr being the defacto starter if the CBA drags into August.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

This

We can't get excited about the Niners until we have a QB. David Carr is hot garbage and should only be kept on the roster if we cannot sign 3 other QBs during the offseason. Can you imagine Carr being the defacto starter if the CBA drags into August.

From Harbaughs words I think HE'd suit up before that happened.
Walter Camp Updated their site yesterday and many won't like it but here it is. The past two years they had the most correct in who would go in the top 10 (not in any particular order mind you just players drafted in the top ten. Some may feel this is not hard to do but only one other got 9 of ten.

Carolina Panthers: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
Gil Brandt mentioned Wednesday that he would pick Cam Newton if he had the No. 1 overall pick. I may eventually mock Newton here, but my only reservation is owner Jerry Richardson. Richardson is a pretty frugal man, and I can't see him being overly thrilled about paying No. 1 overall money to a quarterback.

It does make sense though. New regimes mean new quarterbacks, and it's clear that Jimmy Clausen is not the answer. I made a huge mistake when I really underestimated how important it is not to be a loser in college. If you're a winner as a quarterback, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll succeed in the NFL. However, if you can't win, I think it says something about your attitude. And I'm not just referring to wins and losses. Clausen is not a leader; conversely, he seems to have this Matt Leinart-esque sense of entitlement.

Newton, on the other hand, is the complete opposite of Clausen. He's not coming out of a pro-style offense and he didn't have to make multiple reads, but he's a great leader whose intangibles are off the charts. This Panthers team lacks direction, so Newton would be the perfect solution.

If, however, Richardson doesn't want to open up his pocketbook, this pick will come down to three players: A.J. Green, Da'Quan Bowers and Nick Fairley. Mel Kiper (along with mostly everyone else in the mock draft database) slated Fairley to the Panthers, while Sun Tan Man has Bowers has No. 1.

I can't agree with the latter. First of all, Bowers fills the lesser of the three needs between wide receiver, defensive tackle and defensive end. And second, Bowers is an athletic freak who posted great numbers this year, but he has some really bad tape and one has to wonder why he didn't produce in his first two years at Clemson.

Fairley satisfies the greatest need, and I think there's a much greater chance he's the No. 1 pick in the wake of his tremendous Co-National Championship performance (congrats, by the way, to Auburn and TCU for winning it all.)

Meanwhile, Green, in my opinion, is the best available talent. I believe he is the next of the elite receivers in the mold of Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. Steve Smith is a rapidly declining player, so it's not like the Panthers don't need a wideout. We actually have an interesting thread about Green going first overall on the forum.

I think this pick will come down to the Combine and Pro Day workouts. You can really make a strong argument for both Green and Fairley, but the latter appears to have the edge right now based on how he dominated the Oregon and SEC offensive lines down the stretch.

As for the quarterback position, I believe the Panthers will sign Billy Volek, who will follow Ron Rivera to Carolina. Volek can start for a year until the Panthers find a long-term solution at quarterback.

By the way, I'll have more 2011 NFL Draft and 2012 NFL Draft updates posted soon. Follow me on Twitter @walterfootball for any news and info.

Other 2011 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. A.J. Green, WR - The next Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald, Green makes a lot more sense than Da'Quan Bowers at No. 1 overall.

2. Da'Quan Bowers, DE - Carolina needs to improve its pass rush. Maybe they'll look past the bad tape and prior inconsistency, and instead see Bowers as the next Julius Peppers.

3. Cam Newton, QB - As mentioned above, Cam Newton will be the pick if owner Jerry Richardson wants to spend the money.

Denver Broncos: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
The Broncos finished dead last in the NFL with just 23 sacks. That figure will rise next year with Elvis Dumervil back in the lineup, but Denver still needs another pass-rusher up front.

New head coach John Fox has a thing for athletic defensive ends. In his first year with the Panthers, he selected Julius Peppers at No. 2 overall in the 2002 NFL Draft. A couple of seasons ago, he traded a future first-round pick to draft Everette Brown.

With Denver presumably moving back to the 4-3, Fox will really consider Da'Quan Bowers with this pick, as Bowers will remind him of Peppers from a pure athletic standpoint. Bowers has some really bad tape, but Fox will look forward to coaching him up and getting the best out of him.

1. Nick Fairley, DE/DT - If the Panthers don't take Nick Fairley, there is no way he's making it past the Broncos.

2. Patrick Peterson, CB - Champ Bailey was re-signed as I was writing this mock. I no longer consider Patrick Peterson an option at No. 2.

Buffalo Bills: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
The Bills have a habit of telegraphing their picks. Last year, Buddy Nix continuously told the media that he wanted a pass-catching running back. Lo and behold, he selected C.J. Spiller at No. 9.

This year, Nix has been saying that he wants to add a quarterback. If the trend continues, Cam Newton will be the selection.

I have this feeling this pick is going to happen. The Bills are a franchise that has been floundering in mediocrity the past decade. They need a leader to seize control of the team and lead them to the playoffs for the first time since 1999. Question Cam Newton's intelligence and pro-readiness all you want, but he's a tremendous leader.

Buffalo also has a fairly new regime that has not obtained "its guy" yet. Nix and Chan Gailey know that they'll never sniff the postseason if they don't have a franchise quarterback. And Newton has the mobility that Gailey covets for his offense.

Unfortunately, Newton's not ready for the NFL just yet. Sure, he'll use his scrambling ability to win some games, but he was a one-year starter in college who never had to make multiple reads in his offense. Newton has the potential to evolve into a very good NFL quarterback, but it'll take some time. Ideally, he'll sit behind Ryan Fitzpatrick for a year or two, but if he's chosen this high, he'll probably see the field right away.

And by the way, a couple of people in the comment board below believe that I copied Mel Kiper's mock draft by giving Newton to the Bills. Seeing as how I released my previous 2011 NFL Mock Draft 12 hours prior to Kiper, I must have done some slick hacking into Kiper's computer.

1. Patrick Peterson, CB - Patrick Peterson is arguably the top talent in this draft class. Buddy Nix said he was going to take the best player available with this selection.

2. Von Miller, DE/OLB - Chan Gailey coached Von Miller at the Senior Bowl. Miller's an athlete freak and an elite pass-rusher. He could be targeted this high.

Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
Carson Palmer wants out of Cincinnati. Palmer reportedly is sick and tired of the circus atmosphere on the team. Can you blame him? I don't think it's a coincidence that Palmer had his best two games when both of his overrated clown receivers were out of the lineup.

Owner Mike Brown loves Palmer, so maybe he'll probably accommodate his quarterback's wishes by trading Chad Johnson Ochocinco Johnson. Brown already axed offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski, per Palmer's request.

If the Bengals trade Johnson - I seriously doubt he'll be back next season - this pick will be a no-brainer; A.J. Green is one of the top receiving prospects since Randy Moss.

1. Da'Quan Bowers, DE - If the Broncos pass on Da'Quan Bowers, he may not make it past Cincinnati.

2. Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton, QB - If the Bengals actually trade Palmer, they may consider a quarterback. If so, they'll probably look past Cam Newton's character and intelligence concerns if they don't like Blaine Gabbert.

Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
About this time a year ago, Adam Schefter boldly predicted that Sam Bradford would be the No. 1 pick despite the fact that NFL Draft sites across the Web were torn between Bradford, Ndamukong Suh and Jimmy Clausen (check the 2010 mock database to see how crazy it was). A few weeks ago, Schefter once again had draftniks running to adjust their mocks, tweeting that Von Miller would probably be a top-five selection this April.

Miller was outstanding at the Senior Bowl, drawing some comparisons to Clay Matthews. During the game, he single-handedly disrupted some of the North's drives. He could be targeted as high as No. 3 to the Bills, but will probably be selected with the fifth pick. Coincidentally, Ken Whisenhunt was spotted talking to Miller on the Wednesday of the Senior Bowl.

At any rate, I was glad to see that Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers wrote that the odds of the team selecting a quarterback at No. 5 overall are 70-1. As I've been writing, Arizona drafting a quarterback makes absolutely no sense to me. New regimes mean new quarterbacks. Old ones don't. Whisenhunt is on the hot seat. Why would he risk his job with some rookie signal-caller?

Whisenhunt will sign a veteran like Donovan McNabb or Marc Bulger (or trade for Kevin Kolb, per Larry Fitzgerald's request), and have that signal-caller compete with John Skelton next year.

With that in mind, the best player available who makes sense could be Miller, would fill a huge need for Arizona and its pedestrian pass rush.

1. Patrick Peterson, CB - This is the first time I've had Patrick Peterson available to Arizona for quite a while. He could certainly be the pick, but Arizona runs a Steelers-like defense, and Pittsburgh doesn't place much emphasis on the cornerback position. Or at least Dick LeBeau doesn't, perhaps believing he can coach his guys up. New defensive coordinator Ray Horton was also a defensive back, so he may share the same mentality as his old boss.

2. Robert Quinn, DE - The other pass-rushing option. There's a chance Arizona may like Robert Quinn over Miller.

Cleveland Browns: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
The Browns would love to land a top-tier weapon for the impressive Colt McCoy (A.J. Green). But if Green isn't available, Cleveland will almost certainly beef up its front seven.

However, Patrick Peterson finally being available at this spot changes things. Peterson is arguably the top talent in this draft class. Mike Holmgren has a thing for drafting defensive backs early, and I can't imagine how excited he would be at the prospect of having Peterson and Joe Haden as his starting cornerbacks.

With Peterson starting across from Haden, the Browns would instantly have the best secondary in the NFL. How could anyone possibly throw against them? And besides, it's not like corner isn't a need. Eric Wright is a free agent, while Sheldon Brown turns 32 in March.

1. Marcell Dareus, DT - Shaun Rogers was just cut. Marcell Dareus would be the perfect replacement.

2. Robert Quinn, DE - The Browns have nothing at defensive end in their new 4-3 alignment. By the way, if the Broncos and Bengals take Patrick Peterson and A.J. Green, respectively, Da'Quan Bowers will be the no-brainer selection for Cleveland at No. 6.

San Francisco 49ers: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
The No. 7 pick is the toughest for me. I even made a thread about the 49ers No. 7 selection in the 2011 NFL Draft.

I don't think I've ever mocked Blaine Gabbert to the 49ers - but I'm beginning to think that it's going to happen for the following reasons:

1. There may not be a free agency, meaning San Francisco won't be able to address the quarterback position by either signing Donovan McNabb or trading for Kevin Kolb. Gabbert may be San Francisco's only viable option.

2. I recently recalled that Jim Harbaugh attempted to recruit Gabbert. Gabbert played in a spread offense at Missouri, but ran a pro-style attack in high school. In fact, Gabbert initially wanted to go to Nebraska because of Bill Callahan's West Coast scheme.

3. All the analysts on ESPN are gushing over Gabbert. Mike Mayock has him as his No. 1 quarterback. Trent Dilfer referred to Gabbert as "special." Matt Millen went as far as calling Gabbert "1,000-percent USDA Man" on NFL Live. Oh, and the Sun Tan Man loves Gabbert as much as he did Brian Brohm.

4. New regimes mean new quarterbacks. John Harbaugh took a quarterback in the first round of his first draft, and Jim may do the same. Gabbert supposedly is the best quarterback available. For more on him, we have an interesting thread going about Blaine Gabbert on the forum.

1. Marcell Dareus, DE/DT - The 49ers are set with Justin Smith and Aubrayo Franklin on their defensive line (assuming they re-sign Franklin), but their left end position is shaky. Isaac Sopoaga isn't very good, while Ray McDonald is just a situational pass-rusher.

2. Robert Quinn, DE/OLB - San Francisco needs a pass-rusher, and Robert Quinn would be the best one available.

Pick change; previously Marcell Dareus, DE/DT

Tennessee Titans: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
Vince Young and Jeff Fisher stood side-by-side in Bud Adams office. Young, with a puzzled look on his face, looked at the senile owner and said, "It's either him or me, Mr. Adams." Fisher, with his arms crossed, nodded his head in agreement. Adams stared at his desk for a few minutes, forgetting what year it was and who these two men were. He finally snapped out of it and declared, "I choose me."

Some version of this went down at Titans headquarters. Both Young and Fisher are gone, so Tennessee now has to start all over again. If Blaine Gabbert is available, there's a very good chance that the Titans will take him to be their new franchise quarterback.

Unfortunately for Adams, Gabbert went off the board one pick earlier. There's no signal-caller worth taking here, so Tennessee will opt for the best player available, Marcell Dareus.

Dareus fills a need; the Titans need a large defensive tackle to complement the 275-pound Jason Jones. They were interested in bringing back Albert Haynesworth, but with Jeff Fisher and Jim Washburn gone, Haynesworth won't be interested in returning to Tennessee.

1. Blaine Gabbert, QB - The Titans really need a quarterback. Blaine Gabbert will be the pick if he's available.

2. Robert Quinn, DE - Jason Babin is a free agent, so Tennessee will be looking for help across from Derrick Morgan.

Pick change; previously Blaine Gabbert, QB

Dallas Cowboys: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
Jerry Jones recently said that he doesn't see the cornerback position as a problem area for his team. Either he's lying to mislead others, or he's unbelievably delusional.

I have to believe it's the former. There's some speculation that Terence Newman could be released this offseason. Newman, 33 in September, struggled last year and will be due $8 million in 2011. Corner help is desperately needed.

While Patrick Peterson is the best cornerback prospect to come along in a very long time, the consensus belief is that Prince Amukamara isn't too far behind him.

1. Marcell Dareus, DE/DT - There's a chance Marcell Dareus may slip to No. 9. With Jay Ratliff staying at nose tackle, the Cowboys need an upgrade over Igor Olshansky at defensive end.

2. Cameron Jordan, DE/DT - The highly impressive Cameron Jordan would look great next to Jay Ratliff and Stephen Bowen.

Washington Redskins: Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina
The Redskins need a quarterback, but with Blaine Gabbert off the board, there is no signal-caller worth taking at No. 10. And no, Washington will not consider Cam Newton. He doesn't fit the offense, and Daniel Snyder may have an aversion to Auburn quarterbacks.

If Gabbert is unavailable, the Redskins will take the best player available because they have holes throughout their roster.

That includes the rush linebacker position. Washington made the switch to the 3-4 last season, but didn't consider the possibility that Andre Carter would fail miserably in the new scheme. Carter is a free agent, so the Redskins will be looking for an upgrade across from Brian Orakpo.

Speaking of Orakpo, he was the only Washington player to record more than 2.5 sacks in 2010. How pathetic is that? This defense desperately needs help.

Robert Quinn could be the answer. Quinn missed the 2010 season because the NCAA is ridiculously stupid, hypocritical and tyrannical. If he had played, he'd probably be a consensus top-five prospect, so Washington is getting major value with this selection.

1. Blaine Gabbert, QB - If the 49ers and Titans don't like Blaine Gabbert, the Redskins may draft him.

2. Julio Jones, WR - Julio Jones could be the best player on Washington's board. With Santana Moss entering free agency, the Redskins will be desperate for a receiver.

Pick change; previously Cameron Jordan, DE/DT
Some of you may find the walter camp webpage on the combine interesting..

http://walterfootball.com/combine.php
[ Edited by WildBill on Feb 25, 2011 at 12:33 PM ]
nfldraftscout New Era Scouting
Those long arms don't help RT @Schottey: RT @nflcharean: Among the top OTs, Colorado's Nate Solder had the fewest reps in the bench with 21.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

This

Very true and I honestly don't see year 7 of Alex exciting most 49er fans either.. Untill we have a real QB for the future... Most fans who don't drink Harbaugh koolaid will go in the season with low expections..

About this time a year ago, Adam Schefter boldly predicted that Sam Bradford would be the No. 1 pick despite the fact that NFL Draft sites across the Web were torn between Bradford, Ndamukong Suh and Jimmy Clausen (check the 2010 mock database to see how crazy it was). A few weeks ago, Schefter once again had draftniks running to adjust their mocks, tweeting that Von Miller would probably be a top-five selection this April.

Miller was outstanding at the Senior Bowl, drawing some comparisons to Clay Matthews. During the game, he single-handedly disrupted some of the North's drives. He could be targeted as high as No. 3 to the Bills, but will probably be selected with the fifth pick. Coincidentally, Ken Whisenhunt was spotted talking to Miller on the Wednesday of the Senior Bowl.

At any rate, I was glad to see that Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers wrote that the odds of the team selecting a quarterback at No. 5 overall are 70-1. As I've been writing, Arizona drafting a quarterback makes absolutely no sense to me. New regimes mean new quarterbacks. Old ones don't. Whisenhunt is on the hot seat. Why would he risk his job with some rookie signal-caller?

Whisenhunt will sign a veteran like Donovan McNabb or Marc Bulger (or trade for Kevin Kolb, per Larry Fitzgerald's request), and have that signal-caller compete with John Skelton next year.

With that in mind, the best player available who makes sense could be Miller, would fill a huge need for Arizona and its pedestrian pass rush.

The No. 7 pick is the toughest for me. I even made a thread about the 49ers No. 7 selection in the 2011 NFL Draft.

I don't think I've ever mocked Blaine Gabbert to the 49ers - but I'm beginning to think that it's going to happen for the following reasons:

1. There may not be a free agency, meaning San Francisco won't be able to address the quarterback position by either signing Donovan McNabb or trading for Kevin Kolb. Gabbert may be San Francisco's only viable option.

2. I recently recalled that Jim Harbaugh attempted to recruit Gabbert. Gabbert played in a spread offense at Missouri, but ran a pro-style attack in high school. In fact, Gabbert initially wanted to go to Nebraska because of Bill Callahan's West Coast scheme.

3. All the analysts on ESPN are gushing over Gabbert. Mike Mayock has him as his No. 1 quarterback. Trent Dilfer referred to Gabbert as "special." Matt Millen went as far as calling Gabbert "1,000-percent USDA Man" on NFL Live. Oh, and the Sun Tan Man loves Gabbert as much as he did Brian Brohm.

4. New regimes mean new quarterbacks. John Harbaugh took a quarterback in the first round of his first draft, and Jim may do the same. Gabbert supposedly is the best quarterback available. For more on him, we have an interesting thread going about Blaine Gabbert on the forum.

1. Marcell Dareus, DE/DT - The 49ers are set with Justin Smith and Aubrayo Franklin on their defensive line (assuming they re-sign Franklin), but their left end position is shaky. Isaac Sopoaga isn't very good, while Ray McDonald is just a situational pass-rusher.

2. Robert Quinn, DE/OLB - San Francisco needs a pass-rusher, and Robert Quinn would be the best one available.

So Arizona can just "sign" a veteran quarterback, no problem. But we cannot do the same, because apparently we are in some kind of an alternate universe, where there "may not be a free agency".

That being said, in all honesty, I would be happy if we grabbed a quarterback, because I trust Harbaugh's intuitions, as well as his ability to develop them.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

So Arizona can just "sign" a veteran quarterback, no problem. But we cannot do the same, because apparently we are in some kind of an alternate universe, where there "may not be a free agency".

That being said, in all honesty, I would be happy if we grabbed a quarterback, because I trust Harbaugh's intuitions, as well as his ability to develop them.

And that right there made their entire mock irrelevant in my eyes.

Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:

Well and that this is a combine thread, not a friken mock draft thread, and especially a mock that detailed. It just irritated to see that lengthy post that had zero relevance to the thread as a whole.

I think they are basing the fact that the niners have a whole new coaching staff as compared to the cardinals have theirs in place for several years and the players are all familiar with the sceme and coaches and vice versa.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Well and that this is a combine thread, not a friken mock draft thread, and especially a mock that detailed. It just irritated to see that lengthy post that had zero relevance to the thread as a whole.

You're right I apologise should have started a new tread. Still they posted the day before the combines and it will be interesting to see how it changes right after. I was looking at their site because they have info on the combine and ran into this. Anyway, no need to have a hissy fit. Just don't read it.
Come on Salas run a 4.3!!!
Originally posted by jreff22:
nfldraftscout New Era Scouting
Those long arms don't help RT @Schottey: RT @nflcharean: Among the top OTs, Colorado's Nate Solder had the fewest reps in the bench with 21.

Being that tall, with long arms, makes it really problematic. I wouldn't worry about that number. On the other hand, the bigger challenge for Solder is the comparison in athletic ability to Tyron Smith, and footwork speed. This is where I see talent evaluators separating the two.
Share 49ersWebzone