LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

my mock draft

EDIT: for my newest mock draft look at the end of the thread
#1 Panthers: Patrick Peterson, CB
BPA; fairley is a possible alternative here but the panthers could draft a nice DT with their 3rd-rounder either but they wont have a chance for a shutdown-cB there.

#2 Broncos: Nick Fairley, DT
Bpa, no-brainer...they need an upgrade upfront badly.

#3 Bills: Marcell Dareus, DT
they also need some help upfront.

#4 Bengals: AJ Green, WR
Owens and Ocho are done in cincy, that means the bengals need new WRs. One of them should be Green, who is bpa here.

#5 Cardinals: Von Miller, OLB
BPA and need.

#6 Browns: Bowers, DE
WR is their biggest need but i dont see them going for julio jones here. Furthermore, they have a need at 4-3 DE.

#7 49ers: Robert Quinn, DE/OLB
apparent need imo. Prince is an alternative here.

#8 Titans: Cameron Jordan, DE
Babin was an effective pass-rusher last season but is a free agent now. Smells like a contract-year-issue.
New regimes mean new QBs, so a QB could be drafted here but I dont think so.

#9 Cowboys: Prince, CB
BPA and need. They have to upgrade the RT-position either but I dont consider any O-liner as a top10-pick.

#10 Redskins: Aldon Smith, DE/OLB

That pick crashed my brain...They have so many needs so that it would be a easier to list the well-staffed positions.
I do think that shanahan will handle the problems on offense without a top10-pick but the switch to 3-4 defense screams for upgrades all over the front7.
Shanahan will look for a QB in this draft but i dont see him going for anyone at this juncture...at least, not today.

I will expand my mock soon.

any suggestions or questions?

[ Edited by communist on Apr 28, 2011 at 09:54:48 ]
Originally posted by communist:
#1 Panthers: Patrick Peterson, CB
BPA; fairley is a possible alternative here but the panthers could draft a nice DT with their 3rd-rounder either but they wont have a chance for a shutdown-cB there.

#3 Bills: Marcell Dareus, DT
they also need some help upfront.

Owens and Ocho are done in cincy, that means the bengals need new WRs. One of them should be Green, who is bpa here.

BPA and need.

WR is their biggest need but i dont see them going for julio jones here. Furthermore, they have a need at 4-3 DE.

#8 Titans: Cameron Jordan, DE
Babin was an effective pass-rusher last season but is a free agent now. Smells like a contract-year-issue.
New regimes mean new QBs, so a QB could be drafted here but I dont think so.

BPA and need. They have to upgrade the RT-position either but I dont consider any O-liner as a top10-pick.

#10 Redskins: Aldon Smith, DE/OLB

That pick crashed my brain...They have so many needs so that it would be a easier to list the well-staffed positions.
I do think that shanahan will handle the problems on offense without a top10-pick but the switch to 3-4 defense screams for upgrades all over the front7.
Shanahan will look for a QB in this draft but i dont see him going for anyone at this juncture...at least, not today.

I will expand my mock soon.

any suggestions or questions?

Its a good mock cept for us you reached for Quinn. Well over year off from football & transition to 34 OLB. Kinda scary when we finally have a QB guru HC and we dont take a top QB? If we are gonna reach go for a QB like Newton,Locker,Gabbert or Mallet. Skins n Shanahan will take a QB as well at 10. I personally dont think Locker makes it past 10. Just my 2 cents bro. Id like to see your full mock with a update/fix of the 49ers QB situation if there any more rds.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Its a good mock cept for us you reached for Quinn. Well over year off from football & transition to 34 OLB. Kinda scary when we finally have a QB guru HC and we dont take a top QB? If we are gonna reach go for a QB like Newton,Locker,Gabbert or Mallet. Skins n Shanahan will take a QB as well at 10. I personally dont think Locker makes it past 10. Just my 2 cents bro. Id like to see your full mock with a update/fix of the 49ers QB situation if there any more rds.
i didnt count out that the skins go for locker or another QB with their 1st-rounder...i just dont believe it RIGHT NOW.
as to quinn: he is rated as a top10-lock by several sources, including cbs. and i dont think that he will fall down unless he sucks at combine. sam bradford (perhaps an assumption to the rule but who cares) didnt play his last year at college b/c of a shoulder injury...the rams drafted him 1st ovr anyway.

[ Edited by communist on Feb 22, 2011 at 20:51:40 ]
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

i didnt count out that the skins go for locker or another QB with their 1st-rounder...i just dont believe it RIGHT NOW.
as to quinn: he is rated as a top10-lock by several sources, including cbs. and i dont think that he will fall down unless he sucks at combine. sam bradford (perhaps an assumption to the rule but who cares) didnt play his last year at college b/c of a shoulder injury...the rams drafted him anyway.

I think it is more likely that teams in need of a QB trade back up into the bottom of the 1st to grab their guy. The draft is somewhat top heavy on defensive players and it would be a reach to grab any of the QBs in the top 10. But a Tebow-like scenario is certainly possible. NE has 2 mid to late first rounders and I'm sure would be willing to trade a first for someone's second and 2012 1st (they seem to do this every year ...)
no way we pick Quinn over Prince
Kind of hard to say what Tenn will do until they select a coach. But I believe a new coach will go qb over DE.

The skins don't need OLB/DE nearly as bad as they need QB, DT, or WR help. Really they need a whole new o line minus Trent Williams. Orakpo is a beast and was in his second pro bowl, and they got a guy in Alexander that is a interesting prospect for them. they could use a olb but not that early.

I have no problem with Quinn. The year off doesn't bother me at all. Folks talking as if he's just gonna go brain dead and forget how to play football. As long as he shows up in shape at the combine I'm cool.

[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:24:58 ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Kind of hard to say what Tenn will do until they select a coach. But I believe a new coach will go qb over DE.

The skins don't need OLB/DE nearly as bad as they need QB, DT, or WR help. Really they need a whole new o line minus Trent Williams. Orakpo is a beast and was in his second pro bowl, and they got a guy in Alexander that is a interesting prospect for them. they could use a olb but not that early.

I have no problem with Quinn. The year off doesn't bother me at all. Folks talking as if he's just gonna go brain dead and forget how to play football. As long as he shows up in shape at the combine I'm cool.
1.didnt count out a qb-draft by tenn in the 1st round either, but i dont believe it b/c there isnt any qb worth that pick and it's not like tenn doesnt need another upgrades.

2.the skins switched to 3-4...and they dont have any NT-like d-liner on the roster. but there isnt any DT worth the pick who can play nose. WR will be in consideration if Moss wont come back.
orakpo wasnt an effective pass-rusher this season, imo. in general, i dont see any reliable 3-4 pass-rusher in their roster at all.

1.didnt count out a qb-draft by tenn in the 1st round either, but i dont believe it b/c there isnt any qb worth that pick and it's not like tenn doesnt need another upgrades.

2.the skins switched to 3-4...and they dont have any NT-like d-liner on the roster. but there isnt any DT worth the pick who can play nose. WR will be in consideration if Moss wont come back.
orakpo wasnt an effective pass-rusher this season, imo. in general, i dont see any reliable 3-4 pass-rusher in their roster at all.

1. cool

2. I live in Dc and they kinda screwed their defense by switching to a 3-4. Though Orakpo didn't have the high sack numbers the dude creates problems when rushing and gets held very often. he's a legit pass rusher imo. You are correct though not really a NT worth drafting that high. With that said an OLB could be a possibility considering the talent available, and they do need an upgrade in that department. I think Shanahan will go QB or WR though. but you made a great point.

1. cool

2. I live in Dc and they kinda screwed their defense by switching to a 3-4. Though Orakpo didn't have the high sack numbers the dude creates problems when rushing and gets held very often. he's a legit pass rusher imo. You are correct though not really a NT worth drafting that high. With that said an OLB could be a possibility considering the talent available, and they do need an upgrade in that department. I think Shanahan will go QB or WR though. but you made a great point.
ok, i will consider that in my update.
sorry, i am a little bit confused today...what great point? that an olb is possible?

[ Edited by communist on Feb 4, 2011 at 11:48:48 ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
no way we pick Quinn over Prince

So even if we have Quinn rated higher, we'd still take PA ? Or do you consider CB a greater need than pass rush ?

#1 Panthers: Dareus, DT
I think that dareus could play either DT in the 4-3 but fairley cant...furthermore, the panthers had a huge hole upfront in 2010 and even those guys arent there anymore, iirc.
last but not least, PP seems to be a luxury pick here, bowers will be a possibility if johnson really leaves and even a QB could be drafted here b/c "new regimes mean new QBs"...as soon as i start to believe that the latter will happen, i will place a qb-name at this juncture.

#3 Bills: Patrick Peterson, CB
QB is a possibility here either but unlike the panthers, the bills could grab a nice qb-prospect with their 2nd-rounder. even an olb like von miller possible...but PP is bpa and a small need here.

BPA and need.

#8 Titans: Blaine Gabbert, QB
seems to be the best qb this year and has less character concerns than newton.

#10 Redskins: Cameron Newton, QB
Shanahan seems to love athletic, big-armed QBs...there you go.

#11 Texans: Aldon Smith, OLB

the switch to 3-4 calls for a 3-4 pass-rusher.

#12 Vikings: Gabe Carimi, OT
seems to be the best run-blocking OT in the draft.

#13 Lions: Tyron Smith, OT
seems to be the best pass-blocker.

#14 Rams: Julio Jones, WR
no-brainer.

#15 Phins: Ingram, RB
no-brainer

#16 Jags: Kerrigan, DE
nice player, big need for a constant pass-rush

i will stop here....any comments?
[ Edited by communist on Mar 7, 2011 at 2:34 PM ]
You know you`d have to go all the way back to 1950 something to see the last time a CB was drafted #1 overall.
[ Edited by CoachingMatters on Mar 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM ]
Originally posted by CoachingMatters:
You know you`d have to go all the way back to 1950 something to see the last time a CB was drafted #1 overall.
i know that...let's imagine that it could happen again. furthermore, in my update PP is not any longer the 1st ovr selection
[ Edited by communist on Mar 3, 2011 at 5:26 PM ]
i know that...let's imagine that it could happen again. furthermore, in my update PP is not any longer the 1st ovr selection

Trust me I think Peterson is worthy of the number one pick. I was just pointing out what a bold prediction it was.

Trust me I think Peterson is worthy of the number one pick. I was just pointing out what a bold prediction it was.
could be that i had an eventual new CBA in my mind, which would include a rookie payscale.

what about comments on my update?
Share 49ersWebzone