[ Edited by communist on Jan 10, 2011 at 11:54 PM ]
There are 671 users in the forums
Prospect Watch: BCS National Championship #1 Auburn vs. #2 Oregon
Jan 10, 2011 at 11:53 PM
- communist
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,475
fairley will be gone by our pick...if the panthers draft green, i will laugh at them for a month.
Jan 11, 2011 at 12:10 AM
- GhostofFredDean74
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 30,082
Originally posted by Kolohe:Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:Originally posted by Kolohe:Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:Originally posted by Kolohe:
Any word on Cam Newton declaring for the draft??
Probably tomorrow, with a slight chance he declares tonight after he destroys the Ducks.
LOL, he better I laid down $300 on them tonight.
On another note, what do you think of Alex Green, Hawaii's RB. Dude is big, fast and has good hands....seems like a good fit for a WCO, don't you think?
I love Alex Green, Hawaii's first 1,000 yard rusher. Does everything you'd want in a RB, blocks, catches passes outta the back field, doesn't do much dancing. Poor man's Steven Jackson. I just gotta post this video Ghost.
Yah, I really like this kid, and definitely agree with the Steven Jackson comparison. Harbaugh seems to like those big backs, so I'd love to see us get Green in the later rounds, and pair him with Gore/Dixon.
Jan 11, 2011 at 12:10 AM
- LifelongNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 24,761
Originally posted by communist:
fairley will be gone by our pick...if the panthers draft green, i will laugh at them for a month.
You are right. With Carolina and Denver, among others in front of us. He is long gone. BTW, if the Panthers get Green, it wouldn't be a bad pick, seeing as how they should get their young QB weapons. It's just the wrong pick. Hopefully 6 teams make the wrong pick, giving us multiple options at #7
.
Jan 11, 2011 at 5:10 AM
- WillistheWall
- Veteran
- Posts: 22,848
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:Originally posted by communist:
fairley will be gone by our pick...if the panthers draft green, i will laugh at them for a month.
You are right. With Carolina and Denver, among others in front of us. He is long gone. BTW, if the Panthers get Green, it wouldn't be a bad pick, seeing as how they should get their young QB weapons. It's just the wrong pick. Hopefully 6 teams make the wrong pick, giving us multiple options at #7.
I'm not really sure why it'd be a bad pick. AJGreen has a ton of ability and talent, he's the best WR in the draft. They need another WR because Steve Smith is always doubled and Clausen has nobody to throw to. There's no franchise QB to replace Clausen with. Their new HC(likely HC anyway) runs a 3-4 defense where Fairley will be wasted. That'd be like when the Chiefs picked Glenn Dorsey and then decided to run the 3-4. It's a waste of his talents. Same with Bowers. I believe they're set at OT. So really, what else are they going to use the pick on?
Jan 11, 2011 at 8:19 AM
- LumpiaJeff
- Veteran
- Posts: 51,513
Besides the big names (Fairley, Newton, James), I was very impressed with Cliff Harris. The guy can only get better.
Also impressed with Casey Matthews.
Also impressed with Casey Matthews.
Jan 11, 2011 at 8:29 AM
- lamontb
- Veteran
- Posts: 33,287
Unless the niners were switching back to the 4-3 Fairly's real talent would be wasted in a 3-4. But the guy is a complete beast out there. Newton has a very so so performance.
Jan 11, 2011 at 8:32 AM
- Shorteous
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,299
Originally posted by lamontb:
Unless the niners were switching back to the 4-3 Fairly's real talent would be wasted in a 3-4. But the guy is a complete beast out there. Newton has a very so so performance.
Samething goes for the Panthers who will be switching to the 3-4 next season. (Ron Riveria, or Greg Manusky)
Bronco's also play the 3-4
Jan 11, 2011 at 10:01 AM
- Dshearn
- Veteran
- Posts: 13,411
Originally posted by lamontb:
Unless the niners were switching back to the 4-3 Fairly's real talent would be wasted in a 3-4. But the guy is a complete beast out there. Newton has a very so so performance.
Quite the opposite he is so talented he has to be accounted for were ever he lines up
Jan 11, 2011 at 10:15 AM
- GhostofFredDean74
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 30,082
Originally posted by Shorteous:Originally posted by lamontb:
Unless the niners were switching back to the 4-3 Fairly's real talent would be wasted in a 3-4. But the guy is a complete beast out there. Newton has a very so so performance.
Samething goes for the Panthers who will be switching to the 3-4 next season. (Ron Riveria, or Greg Manusky)
Bronco's also play the 3-4
Not necessarily. Rivera coached a 3-4 in San Diego because that's the system they had when he was promoted from LB coach to DC. Before that, he was part of a base 4-3 in Philly under Jim Johnson (6 years as their LB coach), and he ran a base 4-3 (Tampa-2) for 3 years in Chicago as their DC. Not to mention, he played in Buddy Ryan's "46" defense....so his style is an attacking-type defense, but not necessarily a base 3-4.
Jan 11, 2011 at 11:01 AM
- communist
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,475
Originally posted by WillistheWall:they have lafell and gettis at WR...they could look at FA for another WR. and they have a HUGE hole at DT...and imo, it is NOT ruled out that fairley could be a NT.Originally posted by LifelongNiner:Originally posted by communist:
fairley will be gone by our pick...if the panthers draft green, i will laugh at them for a month.
You are right. With Carolina and Denver, among others in front of us. He is long gone. BTW, if the Panthers get Green, it wouldn't be a bad pick, seeing as how they should get their young QB weapons. It's just the wrong pick. Hopefully 6 teams make the wrong pick, giving us multiple options at #7.
I'm not really sure why it'd be a bad pick. AJGreen has a ton of ability and talent, he's the best WR in the draft. They need another WR because Steve Smith is always doubled and Clausen has nobody to throw to. There's no franchise QB to replace Clausen with. Their new HC(likely HC anyway) runs a 3-4 defense where Fairley will be wasted. That'd be like when the Chiefs picked Glenn Dorsey and then decided to run the 3-4. It's a waste of his talents. Same with Bowers. I believe they're set at OT. So really, what else are they going to use the pick on?
Jan 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM
- MadDog49er
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 19,400
Hard to grade any player, from any one single game, especially after a long layoff. However, Newton, as I've stated all year, is a great college QB who needs a LOT of work to be successful in the NFL. I'm just not very high on the kid.
As for Nick Fairley, I think his name is pretty ironic. He is one of the dirtier players in college football this year, but he is a baller. Unless he robs a bank, or runs a 5.50 forty, he is pretty much a top 4 lock. I had him projected second overall before the game in my mock, but he may end up number one.
Still think Carolina will select a QB, more than likely Gabbert. I expect a run on DL next with Fairley, Dareus, and Bowers. Would not be shocked to see either Green or Peterson on the board at number seven.
As for Newton, he has to go back to QB school this next month, and think about how he can improve a host of issues in his game. He appears to be a mid-first rounder to me, at best.
The white hot QB class, without Luck, is starting to turn ice cold. Gabbert is really emerging as the one guy, followed by Mallett sitting around 10th overall and Newton in the 14-18 pick area.
As for Nick Fairley, I think his name is pretty ironic. He is one of the dirtier players in college football this year, but he is a baller. Unless he robs a bank, or runs a 5.50 forty, he is pretty much a top 4 lock. I had him projected second overall before the game in my mock, but he may end up number one.
Still think Carolina will select a QB, more than likely Gabbert. I expect a run on DL next with Fairley, Dareus, and Bowers. Would not be shocked to see either Green or Peterson on the board at number seven.
As for Newton, he has to go back to QB school this next month, and think about how he can improve a host of issues in his game. He appears to be a mid-first rounder to me, at best.
The white hot QB class, without Luck, is starting to turn ice cold. Gabbert is really emerging as the one guy, followed by Mallett sitting around 10th overall and Newton in the 14-18 pick area.
Jan 11, 2011 at 11:30 AM
- WildBill
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,217
carolina fans must be pi$$ed, they thought they had a worthy #1 in Luck but now poof. Of course they still could take Fairley as they need DL. Certain positions you don't draft before a certain number. Just like when the niners took Vernon. Either, what is good is that if teams reach for QB and other positions, the niners will get some good choices. If not, then the niners may have a chance at a QB in the 2nd round.
Keep in mind people that because of no CBA, this is going to affect how teams draft. Ordinarily there is a land grab for FA, before the draft so that teams use the picks elsewhere like the niners do and would being that there are a couple of players they could use.
Still, I want us to avoid any QB that predominately uses the shotgun like in the spread and run and shoot, old habits die hard.
Keep in mind people that because of no CBA, this is going to affect how teams draft. Ordinarily there is a land grab for FA, before the draft so that teams use the picks elsewhere like the niners do and would being that there are a couple of players they could use.
Still, I want us to avoid any QB that predominately uses the shotgun like in the spread and run and shoot, old habits die hard.
Jan 11, 2011 at 11:32 AM
- AllTimeGreat
- Veteran
- Posts: 19,094
Can someone tell me why Gabbert is such a monster prospect now? I admit I haven't seen a lot of him since I didn't think he would declare this year but in the Bowl game and Youtube highlights I haven't been all that impressed as he isn't terribly accurate. His stats aren't all that impressive especially compared to Chase Daniels who came out of the same system. I know stats can be deceiving though.
Is the hype all based off of potential with Gabbert? Does he have a crappy supporting cast which are deflating his numbers? Gabbert's a nice prospect but from what I've seen I don't think "bonafide top-5 pick."
Is the hype all based off of potential with Gabbert? Does he have a crappy supporting cast which are deflating his numbers? Gabbert's a nice prospect but from what I've seen I don't think "bonafide top-5 pick."
Jan 11, 2011 at 11:35 AM
- GhostofFredDean74
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 30,082
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Can someone tell me why Gabbert is such a monster prospect now? I admit I haven't seen a lot of him since I didn't think he would declare this year but in the Bowl game and Youtube highlights I haven't been all that impressed as he isn't terribly accurate. His stats aren't all that impressive especially compared to Chase Daniels who came out of the same system. I know stats can be deceiving though.
Is the hype all based off of potential with Gabbert? Does he have a crappy supporting cast which are deflating his numbers? Gabbert's a nice prospect but from what I've seen I don't think "bonafide top-5 pick."
It's mostly based on potential, not to mention supply/demand (not enough quality QBs in this draft, too many teams in desperate need of a quality QB to develop).
Jan 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM
- ninertico
- Veteran
- Posts: 10,259
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hard to grade any player, from any one single game, especially after a long layoff. However, Newton, as I've stated all year, is a great college QB who needs a LOT of work to be successful in the NFL. I'm just not very high on the kid.
As for Nick Fairley, I think his name is pretty ironic. He is one of the dirtier players in college football this year, but he is a baller. Unless he robs a bank, or runs a 5.50 forty, he is pretty much a top 4 lock. I had him projected second overall before the game in my mock, but he may end up number one.
Still think Carolina will select a QB, more than likely Gabbert. I expect a run on DL next with Fairley, Dareus, and Bowers. Would not be shocked to see either Green or Peterson on the board at number seven.
As for Newton, he has to go back to QB school this next month, and think about how he can improve a host of issues in his game. He appears to be a mid-first rounder to me, at best.
The white hot QB class, without Luck, is starting to turn ice cold. Gabbert is really emerging as the one guy, followed by Mallett sitting around 10th overall and Newton in the 14-18 pick area.
Great!
That means that Gabbert, Mallett AND Newton could go top 10 because every year one or two teams reach for their potential franchise QB. I really hope that both Gabbert and one of the others goes before #7 pushing the defensive talent to us at #7 which, IMO, includes Peterson.
I was not impressed with Cam Newton. Was very impressed with Fairley and expect him to go top five, no doubt!