LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Prospect Watch: BCS National Championship #1 Auburn vs. #2 Oregon

Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Dont get the bashing for Cam. He was steady last night. He wasnt his usual Superman self he showed every game this year....but it was steady, steady enough for a chapionship game.

He is a mid 1st rounder, that can go as high as #5, I am sure he will blow people away at his Pro Days and Combines )should he do the Combines, and should he declare).

Like it or not, we will take a long and hard look at him.

I really think it comes down to his intelligence. Harbaugh's offense has a massive amount of plays to run (in the Orange Bowl they said there were so many plays that an offensive lineman had to wear a wristband with some plays as well) and Harbaugh stresses intelligence as an important characteristic that he values in a QB. The physical skills are all there, but it all comes down to what's going on in his noggin. That's only going to be determined by interviews and a little bit by the wonderlic and we as fans really have no way of determining intelligence and work-ethic.

From a pure potential and physical skills standpoint, there is no one better.

I really think that Having Luck in the system for 3 years helped Stanford this year. It will take a few years for a team with a rookie qb for them to get the entire playbook...it will be dumbed down rookie year and 2nd and 3rd year more plays will be run. Case in point Dononvan McNabb. 15 on the Wonderlic from a traditional option team in Syracuse. He started 6 games his rookie year, and 2nd year took his team to the NFC title game.

I dont see how the wonderlic shows anything. Alex scored high....yet qb smarts on field showed something else. Im not going into the wonderlic debate again....but it dont make or break a QBs smarts on the football field. But no one should automatically assume that a rookie QB is gonna get the whole playbook thrown at him at once, it takes more time to get the complete playbook down, like Luck. That debate is here:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=147861&highlight=cam newton

I'm not saying that the wonderlic is really really important but I disagree that it doesn't mean anything. It is just one piece of the larger puzzle that goes into prospect.

I'm also not expecting any QB to absorb a playbook in one year. Sam Bradford for all his success used a very simplified version of their playbook. But does Newton have the football intelligence and work ethic to learn the playbook eventually? We have no way of knowing that.

I have a feeling Harbaugh's playbook is going to be one of the biggest in the entire NFL. I remember reading that Andy Reid runs a very user-friendly version of the WCO. I'm pretty sure they don't audible and adjust protections after the play is called in.

I'm not saying Newton will not be able to learn the playbook at all but I'm just not sure, given his lack of dedication in the classroom. Academics don't necessarily have anything to do with intelligence and work ethic when it comes to football, but his academic problems do make me a little bit uncomfortable.
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Jan 11, 2011 at 3:02 PM ]
Dont get the bashing for Cam. He was steady last night. He wasnt his usual Superman self he showed every game this year....but it was steady, steady enough for a chapionship game.

He is a mid 1st rounder, that can go as high as #5, I am sure he will blow people away at his Pro Days and Combines )should he do the Combines, and should he declare).

I really think it comes down to his intelligence. Harbaugh's offense has a massive amount of plays to run (in the Orange Bowl they said there were so many plays that an offensive lineman had to wear a wristband with some plays as well) and Harbaugh stresses intelligence as an important characteristic that he values in a QB. The physical skills are all there, but it all comes down to what's going on in his noggin. That's only going to be determined by interviews and a little bit by the wonderlic and we as fans really have no way of determining intelligence and work-ethic.

I really think that Having Luck in the system for 3 years helped Stanford this year. It will take a few years for a team with a rookie qb for them to get the entire playbook...it will be dumbed down rookie year and 2nd and 3rd year more plays will be run. Case in point Dononvan McNabb. 15 on the Wonderlic from a traditional option team in Syracuse. He started 6 games his rookie year, and 2nd year took his team to the NFC title game.

I dont see how the wonderlic shows anything. Alex scored high....yet qb smarts on field showed something else. Im not going into the wonderlic debate again....but it dont make or break a QBs smarts on the football field. But no one should automatically assume that a rookie QB is gonna get the whole playbook thrown at him at once, it takes more time to get the complete playbook down, like Luck. That debate is here:

I'm not saying that the wonderlic is really really important but I disagree that it doesn't mean anything. It is just one piece of the larger puzzle that goes into prospect.

I'm also not expecting any QB to absorb a playbook in one year. Sam Bradford for all his success used a very simplified version of their playbook. But does Newton have the football intelligence and work ethic to learn the playbook eventually? We have no way of knowing that.

I have a feeling Harbaugh's playbook is going to be one of the biggest in the entire NFL. I remember reading that Andy Reid runs a very user-friendly version of the WCO. I'm pretty sure they don't audible and adjust protections after the play is called in.

I'm not saying Newton will not be able to learn the playbook at all but I'm just not sure, given his lack of dedication in the classroom. Academics don't necessarily have anything to do with intelligence and work ethic when it comes to football, but his academic problems do make me a little bit uncomfortable.

I didnt say it didnt mean anything, but it certainly doesnt make or break someone on the field...Marino also had a 15 on his wonderlic as another example.

Cam had to learn 3 different styles of the Spread at three different schools, and he has 3 championships, starting 2 of them.....I would say he could pick it up well.....this aint physics...these athletes have been studying playbooks since they were 10 years old.
[ Edited by ninerlifer on Jan 11, 2011 at 3:11 PM ]

I didnt say it didnt mean anything, but it certainly doesnt make or break someone on the field...Marino also had a 15 on his wonderlic as another example.

Cam had to learn 3 different styles of the Spread at three different schools, and he has 3 championships, starting 2 of them.....I would say he could pick it up well.....this aint physics...these athletes have been studying playbooks since they were 10 years old.

This is very true. I guess it just all comes down to what his work ethic is like. If he is willing to absorb himself into the playbook and work hard in practice he probably won't have any problems. And there is no easy way for me to judge that all that accurately. His academic history does make me a little bit uncomfortable with taking him with a top 10 pick.

I've made it very clear, however, that I'm a huge fan of his from a physical skills standpoint. His potential is off the charts.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hard to grade any player, from any one single game, especially after a long layoff. However, Newton, as I've stated all year, is a great college QB who needs a LOT of work to be successful in the NFL. I'm just not very high on the kid.

As for Nick Fairley, I think his name is pretty ironic. He is one of the dirtier players in college football this year, but he is a baller. Unless he robs a bank, or runs a 5.50 forty, he is pretty much a top 4 lock. I had him projected second overall before the game in my mock, but he may end up number one.

Still think Carolina will select a QB, more than likely Gabbert. I expect a run on DL next with Fairley, Dareus, and Bowers. Would not be shocked to see either Green or Peterson on the board at number seven.

As for Newton, he has to go back to QB school this next month, and think about how he can improve a host of issues in his game. He appears to be a mid-first rounder to me, at best.

The white hot QB class, without Luck, is starting to turn ice cold. Gabbert is really emerging as the one guy, followed by Mallett sitting around 10th overall and Newton in the 14-18 pick area.

I don't think Car goes with a QB #1 overall, just dont see a kid worthy of it. But I do agree that Peterson or Green could be available, I expect Cle to pull the trigger on Green if he is there.

Regarding Fairley, do you think having only 1 solid year of production hurts him at all?

Fairley has been so dominant, that I just can't see teams passing on someone like him, especially with Suh's impact for the Lions on full display. I don't think Fairley is in Suh's league, but can be a big impact player right away.
Hard to grade any player, from any one single game, especially after a long layoff. However, Newton, as I've stated all year, is a great college QB who needs a LOT of work to be successful in the NFL. I'm just not very high on the kid.

As for Nick Fairley, I think his name is pretty ironic. He is one of the dirtier players in college football this year, but he is a baller. Unless he robs a bank, or runs a 5.50 forty, he is pretty much a top 4 lock. I had him projected second overall before the game in my mock, but he may end up number one.

Still think Carolina will select a QB, more than likely Gabbert. I expect a run on DL next with Fairley, Dareus, and Bowers. Would not be shocked to see either Green or Peterson on the board at number seven.

As for Newton, he has to go back to QB school this next month, and think about how he can improve a host of issues in his game. He appears to be a mid-first rounder to me, at best.

The white hot QB class, without Luck, is starting to turn ice cold. Gabbert is really emerging as the one guy, followed by Mallett sitting around 10th overall and Newton in the 14-18 pick area.

I see Haynewsorth as a comp. for Fairley, if only for them both being dirty players.

You still think Carolina takes a QB with their pick now that Luck is going back to college? If I was Carolina I would take AJ Green and try to give Claussen another year with another off-season and a better supporting class to try and prove himself. If he is still a disaster they might get the #1 pick again or at least get a shot at another QB. I just think it's a little early to give up on Claussen when theirs not a monster QB prospect like Luck sitting there.

What I am hearing from Carolina is that the players do not respect Clausen, and once that is shot, there is little hope for recovery. The Panthers might end up looking hard at Alex Smith. Wouldn't be surprised.

You mean what you're reading on message boards and in the news, right?

Anyways, if this is indeed actually the case and not just the opinions of a couple players (I only remember one news article where I think Steve smith bashed him, but I'm not that knowledgeable about Carolina) then I would agree that Claussen needs to go. At a popular message board I visited it seemed like most posters wanted Claussen gone.

But even if they get rid of Claussen I see them picking up a veteran QB (if the CBA ever gets done anyways) before I see them reaching for a QB at the #1 spot. At the message board I visited the posters seem pretty split between Green and Fairly.

One of the disturbing quotes about Clausen came from Steve Smith toward the end of the year, in an ESPN article.

Quarterback Jimmy Clausen apologizes for his poor play to linebacker Jon Beason, and wide receiver Steve Smith isn't happy with that.

Said Smith to the Charlotte Observer: "I'm the last guy to tell anybody to be apologizing. But if you're going to apologize, you should apologize to people that's in the huddle with you. But he has a lot to learn. He ain't at Notre Dame anymore, that's for sure."

Now, Smith is a loose cannon...but I think he wouldn't be throwing his QB under the bus of there was any respect, at all. Nobody attempted to rescue Clausen from this bashing. Clausen built a reputation at ND for being a guy not very well liked, and this appears to be continuing. One of the local broadcasters in my area who has links to the Panthers organization stated on the air that players inside the Panthers huddle don't believe in Jimmy. And, if that is true, which I believe, then he has a major problem.

Cheers.
Originally posted by Dino:
What I am hearing from Carolina is that the players do not respect Clausen, and once that is shot, there is little hope for recovery. The Panthers might end up looking hard at Alex Smith. Wouldn't be surprised.

I'm confused. What do you mean?
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 11, 2011 at 5:16 PM ]

The way you phrased things made it sound like you had sources within the Panthers organization, that's all lol. No big deal.

I see Haynewsorth as a comp. for Fairley, if only for them both being dirty players.

You still think Carolina takes a QB with their pick now that Luck is going back to college? If I was Carolina I would take AJ Green and try to give Claussen another year with another off-season and a better supporting class to try and prove himself. If he is still a disaster they might get the #1 pick again or at least get a shot at another QB. I just think it's a little early to give up on Claussen when theirs not a monster QB prospect like Luck sitting there.

Anyways, if this is indeed actually the case and not just the opinions of a couple players (I only remember one news article where I think Steve smith bashed him, but I'm not that knowledgeable about Carolina) then I would agree that Claussen needs to go. At a popular message board I visited it seemed like most posters wanted Claussen gone.

But even if they get rid of Claussen I see them picking up a veteran QB (if the CBA ever gets done anyways) before I see them reaching for a QB at the #1 spot. At the message board I visited the posters seem pretty split between Green and Fairly.

One of the disturbing quotes about Clausen came from Steve Smith toward the end of the year, in an ESPN article.

Quarterback Jimmy Clausen apologizes for his poor play to linebacker Jon Beason, and wide receiver Steve Smith isn't happy with that.

Said Smith to the Charlotte Observer: "I'm the last guy to tell anybody to be apologizing. But if you're going to apologize, you should apologize to people that's in the huddle with you. But he has a lot to learn. He ain't at Notre Dame anymore, that's for sure."

Now, Smith is a loose cannon...but I think he wouldn't be throwing his QB under the bus of there was any respect, at all. Nobody attempted to rescue Clausen from this bashing. Clausen built a reputation at ND for being a guy not very well liked, and this appears to be continuing. One of the local broadcasters in my area who has links to the Panthers organization stated on the air that players inside the Panthers huddle don't believe in Jimmy. And, if that is true, which I believe, then he has a major problem.

Cheers.

Yeah that's the article I was referring to. It doesn't look good for Clausen but I still maintain my position that they will sign or trade for a veteran (assuming again that the CBA gets done) rather than reach for a QB at #1 when there's no QB in the draft really deserving to be the top pick.

The way you phrased things made it sound like you had sources within the Panthers organization, that's all lol. No big deal.

Sorry for the confusion, no sources inside the Panthers organization. I do have a few people inside the league that I text with, but not in Carolina. I guess I used the word hear, since the story I heard about Clausen was on the radio.

This is very true. I guess it just all comes down to what his work ethic is like. If he is willing to absorb himself into the playbook and work hard in practice he probably won't have any problems. And there is no easy way for me to judge that all that accurately. His academic history does make me a little bit uncomfortable with taking him with a top 10 pick.

I've made it very clear, however, that I'm a huge fan of his from a physical skills standpoint. His potential is off the charts.

Word ATG....I have really enjoyed watching him this year, it was one of the most amazing and unreal year any player could have had with ALL the off field drama involved...and still putting it behind him and performing.

With the concerns about academics....it should not have been put out there. Florida put it out there illegally. Anyways...college kids cheat, it happens. Student athletes cheat...this is nothing new....it aint the first time, and aint the last time...if anyone really beleives that Cam is the only one, because again his academics were put out illegally, then that is rediculous....dont worry too much about it ATG....

Word ATG....I have really enjoyed watching him this year, it was one of the most amazing and unreal year any player could have had with ALL the off field drama involved...and still putting it behind him and performing.

With the concerns about academics....it should not have been put out there. Florida put it out there illegally. Anyways...college kids cheat, it happens. Student athletes cheat...this is nothing new....it aint the first time, and aint the last time...if anyone really beleives that Cam is the only one, because again his academics were put out illegally, then that is rediculous....dont worry too much about it ATG....

Don't want to use just one play to embody this kid's passing ability, but that TD pass on the left side had some serious accuracy and touch. My jaw dropped and I commented to my friends that finally that's the Newton I've been waiting for. In light of that, I kept wondering just how much he could handle the capacity of the WCO system.

Well after reading this lil discussion and argument here about his feasibility inside a WCO run offense, I came away with logic that I can't deny driven into my skull by Ninerlifer's excellent POV, Newton can learn. Wow. That's awesome. I can see him sitting and learning just like Rodgers did. Bring in Josh Johnson, the young buck who can compete against McNabb or Hasselbeck as the ol' farts that know the system for a few years while Mr. Cam Newton percolates.

The question is, "Do we have that luxury?" to expend this year's first round top 10 pick on him? Truly, I think we don't.

I wish we did. He would be extraordinary in this system!
Originally posted by ninertico:

Don't want to use just one play to embody this kid's passing ability, but that TD pass on the left side had some serious accuracy and touch. My jaw dropped and I commented to my friends that finally that's the Newton I've been waiting for. In light of that, I kept wondering just how much he could handle the capacity of the WCO system.

Well after reading this lil discussion and argument here about his feasibility inside a WCO run offense, I came away with logic that I can't deny driven into my skull by Ninerlifer's excellent POV, Newton can learn. Wow. That's awesome. I can see him sitting and learning just like Rodgers did. Bring in Josh Johnson, the young buck who can compete against McNabb or Hasselbeck as the ol' farts that know the system for a few years while Mr. Cam Newton percolates.

The question is, "Do we have that luxury?" to expend this year's first round top 10 pick on him? Truly, I think we don't.

I wish we did. He would be extraordinary in this system!

I try Tico I try....McNabb and Vick both came from gimmicky option offenses in college....and in both of their 2nd years in West Coast Offenses I might add, they led their teams to the playoffs (McNabb in his 2nd year to the NFC title game, and Vick in his 4th year to the NFC title game). I beleive we have more talent here in San Fran, that we could possibly get to the playoffs next year with a stop gap, with Cam being thrown in a few times to play....That is if Harbaugh approves he can mold Cam....the dude's measurables are off the chain, yet something else you cant measure, leadership, poise, and heart.

But who knows what we do. I know Harbaulke will get us a QB in this draft, because there are 4 first round talents, AND a few more to be had in the 2nd through 4th rounds possibly....its a good QB draft, wwould have been stronger if Luck declared.

Thanks for the kind words my man!

I don't think Car goes with a QB #1 overall, just dont see a kid worthy of it. But I do agree that Peterson or Green could be available, I expect Cle to pull the trigger on Green if he is there.

Regarding Fairley, do you think having only 1 solid year of production hurts him at all?

Fairley has been so dominant, that I just can't see teams passing on someone like him, especially with Suh's impact for the Lions on full display. I don't think Fairley is in Suh's league, but can be a big impact player right away.

fairley is the most clutch player i have seen on auburn...ever....

Different places uses different sats....... But from my TVO counting by HAND..... number 90 has made 47 plays behind the LOS in the last 2 years.

Some give him partial tackles ect ect....while i am just looking at were he was...

This is not counting how often he is "just" doing his job and disrupts the offensive flow in the backfield.

I wonder how his Combine numbers will turn out....he does not look as stunning as he plays..
Originally posted by Dshearn:

fairley is the most clutch player i have seen on auburn...ever....

Different places uses different sats....... But from my TVO counting by HAND..... number 90 has made 47 plays behind the LOS in the last 2 years.

Some give him partial tackles ect ect....while i am just looking at were he was...

This is not counting how often he is "just" doing his job and disrupts the offensive flow in the backfield.

I wonder how his Combine numbers will turn out....he does not look as stunning as he plays..

You went through all of Auburns games and counted by hand?!?!?!?!? Really?
So you do know he really wasmt a factor last year, and this was his 3rd year playing on the DL....it was a helluva year though...
Share 49ersWebzone