LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert enters NFL draft

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
With the right coaching and enough time, he could definitely develop into a Rodgers-type of QB (WCO skills, excellent mobility and vertical passing threat).

Obviously you meant Jordan Rodgers who went undrafted last year. Yeah, both have some potential, lots to work on though, good call
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
With the right coaching and enough time, he could definitely develop into a Rodgers-type of QB (WCO skills, excellent mobility and vertical passing threat).

Obviously you meant Jordan Rodgers who went undrafted last year. Yeah, both have some potential, lots to work on though, good call

Nope, I admit to thinking that highly of Gabbert back in 2011. I own it!

It's a good move. The 6th round pick will never make the final 53 and will be stolen from our practice squad.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
It's a good move. The 6th round pick will never make the final 53 and will be stolen from our practice squad.

couldve kept daniels....
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Tebow >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Flabbert. think about that for a minute.
Still too soon to order a Gabbert 49ers jersey, I checked.

Originally posted by jrg:
I'm on the Blaine Gabbert to 49ers bandawagon

Well... there you go..
Figured this was as good a time as any to bump this thread back up. It's some funny stuff on these pages. It's also interesting to see what people thought of Blaine Gabbert coming out, compared to the QB that we had at the time, and compare it to where we are right now.

Here are my takeaways:

1) The biggest concern was Blaine Gabbert being a spread system QB. I don't see it as a a concern, it just means a guy will need some coaching. I think in 2015 Blaine Gabbert showed that not only could he make the transition, but he could also bounce back from the horrible experience he had in Jacksonville where his biggest issue was crumbling under pressure.

2) Most people seemed to think that Blaine Gabbert was better than who we had at the time, Alex Smith. No one will say Gabbert is better than Smith now.

3) General consensus was that he was a first rounder, clearly, with most thinking he was a top-10 pick. Here we are again, same spot again with the chance to draft another top 10 (likely top 5 overall player) at QB. If Gabbert has a good showing the rest of the year, I say pass. QB won't even be the third biggest need if he does well. It's akin to having a "young" QB who has performed well. Think Oakland, Buffalo (even though Tyrod Taylor is a couple years older), Tennessee

4) I do think Goff is a better prospect than Gabbert was though.

Looks like the 49ers will finally get the Cal QB.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Figured this was as good a time as any to bump this thread back up. It's some funny stuff on these pages. It's also interesting to see what people thought of Blaine Gabbert coming out, compared to the QB that we had at the time, and compare it to where we are right now.

Here are my takeaways:

1) The biggest concern was Blaine Gabbert being a spread system QB. I don't see it as a a concern, it just means a guy will need some coaching. I think in 2015 Blaine Gabbert showed that not only could he make the transition, but he could also bounce back from the horrible experience he had in Jacksonville where his biggest issue was crumbling under pressure.

2) Most people seemed to think that Blaine Gabbert was better than who we had at the time, Alex Smith. No one will say Gabbert is better than Smith now.

3) General consensus was that he was a first rounder, clearly, with most thinking he was a top-10 pick. Here we are again, same spot again with the chance to draft another top 10 (likely top 5 overall player) at QB. If Gabbert has a good showing the rest of the year, I say pass. QB won't even be the third biggest need if he does well. It's akin to having a "young" QB who has performed well. Think Oakland, Buffalo (even though Tyrod Taylor is a couple years older), Tennessee

4) I do think Goff is a better prospect than Gabbert was though.

Looks like the 49ers will finally get the Cal QB.
Disagree to #4... I don't even think Goff is the best in this draft
Originally posted by fan49:

Neither was Gabbert. He went after Cam and Locker. Teams were reaching for QBs too, with Gabbert and Ponder getting snagged up after that. The Bengals went after Dalton and we held out for Kaepernick.

Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by fan49:

Neither was Gabbert. He went after Cam and Locker. Teams were reaching for QBs too, with Gabbert and Ponder getting snagged up after that. The Bengals went after Dalton and we held out for Kaepernick.

Once that run started, people got desperate. That's typically how it goes with many high need positions. Corners, QBs, pass rushers, and tackles that get over drafted.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He's probably good value at around number ten to a team like Washington. There are just so many talented guys in the top ten, if they all come out this year. Players like Luck, Peterson, Green, Fairley, Bowers are terrific talents.

MadDog won the raffle that year

Funny reading the old posts, Smith and Palmer were both being run out of town at the time. Quarterback fortunes go up and down, obviously.
[ Edited by GreatGabbert on Dec 9, 2015 at 11:44 PM ]
Always great digging out these old threads a few years later and looking at it with 20/20 hindsight. Some of the statements are downright comical at this point.

.... but what it just shows me is how big of a crap shoot the NFL Draft can be. Even with the jury still out on BG, some of the comments that he should never even have been drafted......
Sorry, I have to bump this again.

IMO Cam does not have the throwing accuracy of Tebow. Just from watching the games. Cam's passes are not that on the money. With Tebow you can talk about an unorthodox throwing motion but it gets there accurately. And that's all that matters.

Tebow > Newton. He's more accurate.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 10, 2015 at 12:39 PM ]
Newton is under 60% completion rate this year, I think. After 5 seasons in the same system under the same coach. He's not exactly Kenny Anderson for accuracy.
Share 49ersWebzone