LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 339 users in the forums

Kellen Moore

I don't watch too much College Football, but I did catch two of Kellen Moore's games this year, yea, that's not a big sample size, but I was impressed. After hearing his name called for the Heisman, how come no one talks about him here and do people see him getting picked up by the Niners?
height: 6-0...FAIL.
furthermore, he was very bad in the bowl against tcu last season.
[ Edited by communist on Dec 6, 2010 at 4:09 PM ]
Watched him play many times and I've always been very impressed with him. He handles himself very well, shows incredible football IQ, and has good accuracy. His size will be a huge knock on him. His delivery also isn't as tight as you'd like, and he has had the benefit of playing with Austin Pettis and Titus Young (two NFL caliber WRs), plus a great coaching staff. Arm strength is merely adequate. He reminds me of Drew Brees coming out of college. In the right situation he could be a very successful NFL QB.

I think he'll grade as a 2nd-3rd rounder this year if he leaves early. Another stellar season and I'd say he's an early 2nd, maybe late 1st next year.
Originally posted by communist:

Like Drew Brees. Too short to ever win the Super Bowl. Wait what?...

Kellen Moore is a real talent. He reads the field well and is very accurate and has a quick release. He's not tall and he doesn't have a real strong arm. But he can make all the throws with tremendous accuracy and great timing.

I actually like Kellen Moore a lot. A little later draft pick would be fine. I wouldn't pick him high. But his skills can't be discounted IMO.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 6, 2010 at 9:05 PM ]
Originally posted by thejackal25:
Watched him play many times and I've always been very impressed with him. He handles himself very well, shows incredible football IQ, and has good accuracy. His size will be a huge knock on him. His delivery also isn't as tight as you'd like, and he has had the benefit of playing with Austin Pettis and Titus Young (two NFL caliber WRs), plus a great coaching staff. Arm strength is merely adequate. He reminds me of Drew Brees coming out of college. In the right situation he could be a very successful NFL QB.

I think he'll grade as a 2nd-3rd rounder this year if he leaves early. Another stellar season and I'd say he's an early 2nd, maybe late 1st next year.

Good analysis. However, you can also say Pettis and Young had the benefit of playing with a very accurate and smart QB. He does remind me of a lefty Drew Brees but IMO he still needs to add some weight to that frame. He'll get hammered in the NFL at 190lbs.

I highly doubt Moore leaves early this year. I would honestly be very surprised if he did decide to leave early. I think another year would be beneficial for him and allow him to continue to grow as a QB. I'm very intrigued to see how this offense will run with those top Senior WR's leaving school. If he doesn't miss a beat and continues to dominate, IMO it'll only help his stock.

lol I really just don't want him to leave.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Kellen Moore is a real talent. He reads the field well and is very accurate and has a quick release. He's not tall and he doesn't have a real strong arm. But he can make all the throws with tremendous accuracy and great timing.

I actually like Kellen Moore a lot. A little later draft pick would be fine. I wouldn't pick him high. But his skills can't be discounted IMO.
ok, then explain to me why isnt he high on any draft board yet? and why wouldnt you pick him high, what is high for you?
and he lost against tcu twice, both games were played very bad...it's not about winning or losing a bowl game (but its very important), its about playing against a real contender b/c bsu dont have really legit contenders through the season.

and just one more...if the height isnt that important, why do the really short QBs tend to be drafted later?

ok, then explain to me why isnt he high on any draft board yet? and why wouldnt you pick him high, what is high for you?
and he lost against tcu twice, both games were played very bad...it's not about winning or losing a bowl game (but its very important), its about playing against a real contender b/c bsu dont have really legit contenders through the season.

and just one more...if the height isnt that important, why do the really short QBs tend to be drafted later?

Height is overrated. Brees is 6'0". Michael Vick is 6'0". Steve Young was 6'1" with his cleats on standing on his tip toes. There are and have been successful QB's in this league without height. By contrast Jamarcus Russell was 6'6" but can't play worth a sh**. Height is not everything.

Boise State beat TCU in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. And Moore played well...

Height is overrated. Brees is 6'0". Michael Vick is 6'0". Steve Young was 6'1" with his cleats on standing on his tip toes. There are and have been successful QB's in this league without height. By contrast Jamarcus Russell was 6'6" but can't play worth a sh**. Height is not everything.

i dont say the higher the better, i am talking about a minimum height for looking down the field if your pocket and the opp d-liners are about 6-4 and higher...

no he didnt play well...i cant remember the game in particular but i didnt keep neither moore nor the tcu-qb (dalton?) in fond memory. and the stats seem to confirm my impressions...
[ Edited by communist on Dec 7, 2010 at 4:13 AM ]
I'm a big Kellen fan, chexk in the "Quarterback Watch" thread. IDK if he'll ever be a starter, but I think he'd be at least a heck of a backup. I watched every game of Drew Brees when he was in college, and Kellen reminds me of Drew when he was coming out. I hope we clear out all these garbage QBs we have on roster, then somehow swing a trade to get Luck and pick up Kellen later. It may be overkill to some, but I'm sick of mediocre QB play.
Yeah, he's just 6 even and weighs about a pound and a half, but he has the intangibles, plus the skill set to succeed. Someone will take a chance on him, probably round 3 (?) and be happy they did. Even if he doesn't make it as a starter, and I think he could, he'll be the best backup you could hope for.
All this crap about height for QB's, RB's etc and look hjow many players defy the NFL logic, yet the execs still refuse to accept the evidence and entertain the possibilities.

Here are the stats for two of the QBs. One received an invitation and the other didn't. One played against 6 Top 25 teams and one didn't.

NAME           CMP   ATT   YDS     CMP%   YDS/A   TD   INT   RAT
Kellen Moore   245   345   3506     71.0   10.16   33   5   185.0

Ryan Mallett   242   364   3592     66.5   9.87       30   11   170.5

Yes, Moore has a slight edge in the stats, but does anyone want to argue that Mallett did it against higher quality teams? I am really failing to see the logic of Moore being chosen over Mallett. Can someone put some perspective to this?
so he beat teams like idaho st. ,new mexico, san jose state, fresno state , and Nev....oh wait he didn't

I would rather have luck, mallet, locker, hell even newton
Originally posted by Goldfinger49:
Here are the stats for two of the QBs. One received an invitation and the other didn't. One played against 6 Top 25 teams and one didn't.

NAME           CMP   ATT   YDS     CMP%   YDS/A   TD   INT   RAT
Kellen Moore   245   345   3506     71.0   10.16   33   5   185.0

Ryan Mallett   242   364   3592     66.5   9.87       30   11   170.5

Yes, Moore has a slight edge in the stats, but does anyone want to argue that Mallett did it against higher quality teams? I am really failing to see the logic of Moore being chosen over Mallett. Can someone put some perspective to this?

I don't think anybody suggests him over Mallett. Mallett is 6'7" and has a million dollar arm. Moore is 6'0" and not as strong but has great accuracy and reads the field well. Moore at worst would be a very high end back up. Something we need BTW. He will probably go slightly later than the top QB's. But slightly later there is value with Moore IMO.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
so he beat teams like idaho st. ,new mexico, san jose state, fresno state , and Nev....oh wait he didn't

I would rather have luck, mallet, locker, hell even newton

He made a million dollar stud throw against Nevada. His kicker missed not once but twice. He put them in position.

i dont say the higher the better, i am talking about a minimum height for looking down the field if your pocket and the opp d-liners are about 6-4 and higher...

no he didnt play well...i cant remember the game in particular but i didnt keep neither moore nor the tcu-qb (dalton?) in fond memory. and the stats seem to confirm my impressions...

wrong. he was 23-39 for 211 yds. great? of course not. but a bad performance? how so?

consider that ...

a) his team won the game
b) he was facing one of, if not the top, defense in CFB
c) he threw 0 INTs, his counterpart Andy Dalton threw 3

as a fan and someone who follows Boise State I admit it's hard for me to envision him being a good NFL QB. But height and his performance against TCU are not the reasons to feel this way (imo).
Share 49ersWebzone