The Ricky Stanzi Bandwagon

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Can we please put this thread to rest? And by that I mean thrown off a cliff while simultaneously exploding with eight barrels of explosives? Looney Tunes style.

I challenge anyone to find ONE play in the Insight Bowl that says "Yeah, Ricky Stanzi can be a franchise QB." Do it. Do it.

1st quarter at the 13:28 minute mark, Stanzi stepped up in the pocket made a nice deep touch pass to McNutt for 49 yards in stride.

Quote:

3rd and 5 at IOWA 38 Ricky Stanzi pass complete to Marvin McNutt for 49 yards to the Misso 13 for a 1ST down.

I still think Stanzi can be a good QB in the NFL, he has all the tools. I'm not gonna base one game off of how good of a season hes had. Yah he threw two picks in this game, so what hes only throw 6 all year, that's including the two last night.

This. Let's mention the fact that his top receiver was suspended, his tight end dropped two easy passes, and the Missouri defense is actually pretty decent against the pass.

He stares down his WRs like crazy. That is not going to fly in the NFL.

So do all the other draft prospects in this draft. Staring down receivers is something that gets fixed with NFL coaching. Aaron Rodgers did a lot of that in Cal.

That was Aaron Rodgers' main problem in college aside from holding the ball by his ear. Good QB's in the NFL still do it.
Can we please put this thread to rest? And by that I mean thrown off a cliff while simultaneously exploding with eight barrels of explosives? Looney Tunes style.

I challenge anyone to find ONE play in the Insight Bowl that says "Yeah, Ricky Stanzi can be a franchise QB." Do it. Do it.

1st quarter at the 13:28 minute mark, Stanzi stepped up in the pocket made a nice deep touch pass to McNutt for 49 yards in stride.

Quote:

3rd and 5 at IOWA 38 Ricky Stanzi pass complete to Marvin McNutt for 49 yards to the Misso 13 for a 1ST down.

I still think Stanzi can be a good QB in the NFL, he has all the tools. I'm not gonna base one game off of how good of a season hes had. Yah he threw two picks in this game, so what hes only throw 6 all year, that's including the two last night.

This. Let's mention the fact that his top receiver was suspended, his tight end dropped two easy passes, and the Missouri defense is actually pretty decent against the pass.

So do all the other draft prospects in this draft. Staring down receivers is something that gets fixed with NFL coaching. Aaron Rodgers did a lot of that in Cal.

That was Aaron Rodgers' main problem in college aside from holding the ball by his ear. Good QB's in the NFL still do it.

Exactly. Some people don't understand that college QB prospects will have a lot to learn once they make the pros.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Quote:

There's a difference of staring down WRs for timed routes, and hesitation for them to get open, staring them down, and throwing it for an increased chance of a PD or INT.

Stanzi showed the latter in last night's game. Is it correctable? Perhaps. But I guess I am very weary since this is Alex Smith's weakest point as a QB.
I wouldn't touch this guy at all before the 3rd round at best. sorry last night the buy looked very inconsistent just like his entire college career. Terrible passes, and staring down the WR's way too long. I wasn't expecting a lights out performance but it wasn't even an average performance.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Quote:

There's a difference of staring down WRs for timed routes, and hesitation for them to get open, staring them down, and throwing it for an increased chance of a PD or INT.

Stanzi showed the latter in last night's game. Is it correctable? Perhaps. But I guess I am very weary since this is Alex Smith's weakest point as a QB.

Your right there is a difference, but the fact that Manning threw back to back 4 INT games is what I'm talking about. In those two games that I saw he constantly stared down receivers, watching defenders plant themselves in their zones jumping in front to pick him off.

But it is correctable, Aaron Rodgers has shown that. I remember in 2005, how they use to break him down and always pointed out how he would stare down his first read waiting for him to get open, and how that would eliminate the rest of the field.
I think its unfair to judge a QB based on one performance. Stanzi was having a pretty good year thus far.

Plus Iowa and Kirk Ferentz are not really QB friendly schools.

I think Stanzi could develop into a Chad Pennington/Shaun Hill type. He's limited physically as far as arm strength, but I think he could be good manager alal Kyle Orton
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I think its unfair to judge a QB based on one performance. Stanzi was having a pretty good year thus far.

I think Stanzi could develop into a Chad Pennington/Shaun Hill type. He's limited physically as far as arm strength, but I think he could be good manager alal Kyle Orton

Real good comparison except Stanzi has a little more athletic.
Originally posted by DesiDez:

I've been 50/50 on him all season b/c he's whole career at Iowa has been inconsistent and him at time s just making bad throws. So basically what I say form him last night was what I saw from him is whole career basically. This year he did have more accurate throws and less int's.

I think that's a fair comparasion about Pennington/Hill/Orton. All good back ups and game managers, but not guys you build a team around or a guy you draft in hopes he becomes a long term solution.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I wouldn't touch this guy at all before the 3rd round at best. sorry last night the buy looked very inconsistent just like his entire college career. Terrible passes, and staring down the WR's way too long. I wasn't expecting a lights out performance but it wasn't even an average performance.

I totally agree! Having watched Stanzi over the last few years, consistancy has been his problem. I see him as a mid-round pick who could be developed, but I wouldnt pin the hopes of the 49ers on him!!!
Now that we have harbaugh I think this is our qb. I'm on the wagon. I think he is custom made for the Bill Walsh offense. I think stanzi and harbaugh fit together like hand and a glove.

Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
Now that we have harbaugh I think this is our qb. I'm on the wagon. I think he is custom made for the Bill Walsh offense. I think stanzi and harbaugh fit together like hand and a glove.

Ya kinda looks like a poor mans Luck. Im good with stanzi in the 2nd
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Can't make all the throws.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

This was posted by Thorhawk from the "Quarterback Watch" thread:

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/18578/ricky-stanzi-the-critical-hawkeye

"Stanzi has been dead-on with the deep ball this season, tossing four touchdown passes of longer than 30 yards, all to senior wideout Derrell Johnson-Koulianos. Stanzi has completed six passes of 40 yards or longer and 11 passes of 30 yards or longer in his first seven games."

You can add another 30 yard td pass to the total. So can we please stop with this nonsense that stanzi does not throw well deep? I see him complete a long pass down field in just about every game he plays.

More proof that you obviously haven't watched this QB. The guy can throw a 30-40 yard pass with some zip and plenty of accuracy.

And how the hell can he be overrated?! He's not even a 1st round prospect and in some draftnik boards, he's not even a top prospect in the 2nd round, although he should be. He has progressed a lot since his junior year.

I've watched him play plenty of times. And he can't throw deep. He sucks at the deep ball. Alex Smith throws a much better deep ball.[/quote He cant throw deep?? In this highlight video it seems like he is perfectly capable of throwing it deep besides in the west coast you don't have to have a Ryan Mallett arm. You need to be accurate and he can put the ball in the right place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2UUWgv1NQ
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Can't make all the throws.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

This was posted by Thorhawk from the "Quarterback Watch" thread:

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/18578/ricky-stanzi-the-critical-hawkeye

"Stanzi has been dead-on with the deep ball this season, tossing four touchdown passes of longer than 30 yards, all to senior wideout Derrell Johnson-Koulianos. Stanzi has completed six passes of 40 yards or longer and 11 passes of 30 yards or longer in his first seven games."

You can add another 30 yard td pass to the total. So can we please stop with this nonsense that stanzi does not throw well deep? I see him complete a long pass down field in just about every game he plays.

More proof that you obviously haven't watched this QB. The guy can throw a 30-40 yard pass with some zip and plenty of accuracy.

And how the hell can he be overrated?! He's not even a 1st round prospect and in some draftnik boards, he's not even a top prospect in the 2nd round, although he should be. He has progressed a lot since his junior year.

I've watched him play plenty of times. And he can't throw deep. He sucks at the deep ball. Alex Smith throws a much better deep ball.[/quote He cant throw deep?? In this highlight video it seems like he is perfectly capable of throwing it deep besides in the west coast you don't have to have a Ryan Mallett arm. You need to be accurate and he can put the ball in the right place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2UUWgv1NQ

Watch his feet, Arms good. Pumps just to be funny. And watch the end of the highlights, 4th and GOAL!! We Have a winner!!!!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Watch his feet, Arms good. Pumps just to be funny. And watch the end of the highlights, 4th and GOAL!! We Have a winner!!!!

Why waste a 2nd rd pick when you can have this future back up in the 5th or 6th?
Share 49ersWebzone