LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Quarterback Watch

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Terrelle Pryor is 6'6 tall, 240lbs with a big arm very good speed. Will be a top 10 caliber pick but has said he will return for another year but ya never know.

Have to add Jerrod Johnson (Texas A&M senior) to the discussion. Another big QB who has put up huge numbers as a passer.

I dont want any spread QB s**t if we have to redraft one

Agreed. Absolutely don't want to go through what we've just been through again.

-9fA

I don't really agree that its the system that holds back a QB, QB's can be taught, its all about the coaching. Besides, QB's coming from a Pro-style offense seem to struggle just as much.
Terrelle Pryor is 6'6 tall, 240lbs with a big arm very good speed. Will be a top 10 caliber pick but has said he will return for another year but ya never know.

Have to add Jerrod Johnson (Texas A&M senior) to the discussion. Another big QB who has put up huge numbers as a passer.

-9fA

He's not Alex though. The guy can make plays with his legs. He's Vince Young. Young came out as a junior and led Tennessee to the playoffs. Sure he'll have a rocky road with his development as a passer, but he doesn't need his arm to beat teams.

I actually think he's Singletary ideal type of QB. One who pretty much forces you to play vanilla football, but can actual lead you to victory.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

-9fA

He's not Alex though. The guy can make plays with his legs. He's Vince Young. Young came out as a junior and led Tennessee to the playoffs. Sure he'll have a rocky road with his development as a passer, but he doesn't need his arm to beat teams.

I actually think he's Singletary ideal type of QB. One who pretty much forces you to play vanilla football, but can actual lead you to victory.

lol, Vince Young is the greatest CFB QB to every play the game, to compare Pryor to him is a complete joke.

Second, Young is a terrible NFL QB. He is nothing without Chris Johnson. How easily people forget....

Spread/run QB's don't work because they don't develop the skill of reading a D and checking through their progressions. Any super talented running QB is taught to read1 or 2 things, and then run. That doesn't work in the NFL unless you are surrounded by super talented play makers (Chris Johnson), otherwise teams can easily lock you down.

Edit: Brady/Brees/Manning is the type of QB you want to draft. Not a running QB.... (Vick/Young)

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Sep 13, 2010 at 23:05:14 ]

-9fA

HELL NO. Pryor sucks. Sure he can run but that won't work that well vs NFL D's and he's not good at throwing the ball. Just look what he did vs Miami, 12 of 27? If we're going for a QB go after Ponder, Luck, or Locker.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

-9fA

lol, Vince Young is the greatest CFB QB to every play the game, to compare Pryor to him is a complete joke.
Second, Young is a terrible NFL QB. He is nothing without Chris Johnson. How easily people forget....

Spread/run QB's don't work because they don't develop the skill of reading a D and checking through their progressions. Any super talented running QB is taught to read1 or 2 things, and then run. That doesn't work in the NFL unless you are surrounded by super talented play makers (Chris Johnson), otherwise teams can easily lock you down.

Edit: Brady/Brees/Manning is the type of QB you want to draft. Not a running QB.... (Vick/Young)

Just wait to the end of the season. Young didn't throw for more than 2,000 til his junior year. Hell he only threw for 3,000 yards his junior year.

Come January when Prior and OSU are sitting in the Title game the comparision will be valid.

The rest of your post is fine, but Chris Johnson wasn't playing for Tennessee during Young's rookie season. Also Vick wasn't surrounded with great talent during his tenure at Atlanta either.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 13, 2010 at 23:21:56 ]

-9fA

Just wait to the end of the season. Young didn't throw for more than 2,000 til his junior year. Hell he only threw for 3,000 yards his junior year.

Come January when Prior and OSU are sitting in the Title game the comparision will be valid.

The rest of your post is fine, but Chris Johnson wasn't playing for Tennessee during Young's rookie season. Also Vick wasn't surrounded with great talent during his tenure at Atlanta either.

Warrick Dunn

-9fA

Warrick Dunn

We've had Frank Gore thru Alex Smith's whole career, are you telling me he has great talent around him too?

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 14, 2010 at 07:31:28 ]

-9fA

Warrick Dunn

We've had Frank Gore thru Alex Smith's whole career, are you telling me he has great talent around him too?

Go back and look at the Falcons, they got to the playoffs a few times....so yes Vick was surrounded by talent.

-9fA

Warrick Dunn

Go back and look at the Falcons, they got to the playoffs a few times....so yes Vick was surrounded by talent.

Or Vick elevated them to the playoffs. I don't understand why people here don't see the correlation between good QB play and wins. They won 16 games in 3 years before Vick took over full time.

-9fA

Warrick Dunn

Or Vick elevated them to the playoffs. I don't understand why people here don't see the correlation between good QB play and wins. They won 16 games in 3 years before Vick took over full time.

So they drafted nobody to help them or picked up a single guy in FA....Vick did it all by himself.....so Dunn getting into the Probowl had nothing to do with it either?

-9fA

Warrick Dunn

So they drafted nobody to help them or picked up a single guy in FA....Vick did it all by himself.....so Dunn getting into the Probowl had nothing to do with it either?

No one said he did it all by himself. You need some talent and good QB play to win, but can you name me one receiver during his playoff runs. Brian Finneran. I'm sure he's the reason behind Vick's success.

There's no denying Atlanta's record before, during his injury plagued Madden cover year, and immediately after Vick left. Not a good football team.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 14, 2010 at 08:14:27 ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Kellen Moore from Boise?

I agree. This kids a gamer. Who cares is he's 6'1. That was the knock on Brees coming out. Kid can play and knows how to win. And he's got good football intelligence. If I remember correctly, his dad is a football coach.
give me A. Luck any damn day of the week. this will require us trading up cause if he decides to enter the draft he'll easily be in top 5 if not top 10. and if and when that happens and a trade is not feasible than we should stay put and consider taking C. Ponder.
IMO Luck will be better than Locker in the NFL

Agree. I think Locker is overrated.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
IMO Luck will be better than Locker in the NFL

I'm gonna agree with you there. Luck has the poise to make it in the NFL, he'll stay in the pocket and keep his cool till the last second, unlike Locker who makes one or two reads than hes off running.

Yep, Luck is a really smart QB and you can tell Harbaugh has done an amazing job coaching this kid. Luck does so many "small" things extremely good and things like his footwork are just perfect. Not to mention he has a great accurate arm, Locker's arm is stronger but Luck is more accurate with a better touch. And Luck is way ahead of Locker in reading plays and going through progressions.

Hell I'd take Harbaugh along with Luck too

Harbaugh and Luck? Move a little, I'm jumping on this bandwagon too.

I will always support Smith as long as he's a niner, but another game like Seattle and I'm hoping I can catch a ride on the Luck Bandwagon. Can someone save me a seat just in case?
Share 49ersWebzone